• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Associate
I am looking at that as well, already got that exact PSU otherwise I would well of bit.
But that price is nearly a 2080 but you could always flog the PSU

I know I do need a PSU though my current one is over 5 years old - your right only couple of extra hundred and I could get 2080 newness

Soldato
Kinda sad to see the progression of GPU prices. GTX 970 was £270, GTX 1070 was £370 and now RTX 2070 at £500+.

That's not how it used to be when nvidia had competition, prices used to be stable from generation to generation. I remember paying around £180 for a 260, a 460, a 560 and a 660. The RTX 2060 is going to be £300 (4gb) and £400 (6/8gb) at this rate, and maybe not even faster than a 1070.

V F

V F

Soldato
£1099 - 2080ti
£749 - 2080
£569 - 2070

reading-ikea-intructions-big-lebowski-confused.gif

It was hard not to chuckle.

Associate
I think they will flop in sales terms at those prices, a bit like the iPhone X sales figures. Even Apple are set to bring down the pricing for the next line of iPhones.

Associate
1060 owners are my official pick for everything that is wrong with the world of GPU's.
You can lay blame at Nvidia, at AMD, at miners, the "media", at everyone with some reasonable justification but the majority of 1060 owners are who I think you should blame first. Even with a very convincing competitor they turned a blind eye. That's the unit sales used to justify bad decisions in the board room.

You might assume that anger motivates this post, maybe thinking I really wanted to buy something for a reasonable price, but I have abstained from the GPU market because of Vega. I have no intention of buying another GPU, so the pricing does not affect me financially or emotionally.

No doubt that this honesty will be completely ignored and I have ruined my 1,337 post count for nothing.

My thoughts exactly, I was expecting a price bump but I don’t feel in most real world situations the gaming performance will be transformational, it will take 2-3 years to see widespread adoption of Ray Tracing in games and by then we may see 7nm versions and the price premium come down.

I set a budget of £800-£850 as what I would consider paying, and well it’s at least £250 more than that so for me it’s a pass. To be honest my GTX1080ti hasn’t seen any games yet as I still haven’t finished the build. Hopefully as long as Phanteks don’t follow nVidia’s lead it’ll hopefully pay for the Evolv X case I’ve been eyeing since Computex.

Caporegime
I think they will flop in sales terms at those prices, a bit like the iPhone X sales figures. Even Apple are set to bring down the pricing for the next line of iPhones.

Yeah they may bring pricing down but you can be damn sure they’ll have done it in a way where they’ll still be making as much profit from the 11. Insane prices are here to stay as from everything we’ve seen there’s still enough stupid people to splash the cash regardless of purchasing power getting lower and lower every year.

Associate
Yeah they may bring pricing down but you can be damn sure they’ll have done it in a way where they’ll still be making as much profit from the 11. Insane prices are here to stay as from everything we’ve seen there’s still enough stupid people to splash the cash regardless of purchasing power getting lower and lower every year.

Well this was the first year I didn’t get a new iPhone since the iPhone 3G, if the battery wasn’t dying on my iPhone 7 I wouldn’t be replacing it soon. I’m just hoping the iPhone X goes on sale after the new phones come out in September. I’m too tied into iOS to switch to Android and Apple will trade the iPhone 7 in beforehand and use an old iPhone 5 in the meantime.

Associate
It's a phone... how do you get "locked in" to a phone?

Perhaps locked into the Apple ecosystem. So owns other Apple hardware and therefore wants the cross-operability, i.e. iMessage etc. Or has lots of media purchased from iTunes, i.e. loads of Movies and TV shows that just play easier on Apple TV's etc. I know I have friends that fit this brief and won't give up their Apple hardware.

One important point to note is that Apple is still reporting record revenues, even if they might have hoped for more from their iPhone X led successes.

Associate
Intentionally locking yourself into an "ecosystem" doesn't sound very prudent to me...

Sure, I've always tried to be platform agnostic where ever possible but it is still, even, unintentionally possible to lock yourself into an ecosystem or format. Apple still do the hardware convergence thing better than anyone else.

There are definite similarities in people choosing to spend over £1,100+ on a phone as there will be on £1,000+ Nvidia GPU's. Without having even seen the benchmarks...

:eek:

Soldato
£1099 - 2080ti
£749 - 2080
£569 - 2070

reading-ikea-intructions-big-lebowski-confused.gif

In fairness, we will have to wait to see where the performance falls before passing final judgement on the pricing.

It looks silly with no performance metrics, but for all we know Nvidia could be altering the card tiering this generation and replacing Titan. I.E 2080ti/2080/2070 could very well be the lineup replacement for Titan/1080ti/1080 not 1080ti/1080/1070, hence filling the price brackets of those cards. If the 2070 fills the tier bracket previously held by the x80 cards and outperforms the 1080ti to the degree the 1080 outperformed the 980ti then it will be good price/performance.

Of course it could simply be that Jensen's started smoking crack ;P

Caporegime
In fairness, we will have to wait to see where the performance falls before passing final judgement on the pricing.

It looks silly with no performance metrics, but for all we know Nvidia could be altering the card tiering this generation and replacing Titan. I.E 2080ti/2080/2070 could very well be the lineup replacement for Titan/1080ti/1080 not 1080ti/1080/1070, hence filling the price brackets of those cards. If the 2070 fills the tier bracket previously held by the x80 cards and outperforms the 1080ti to the degree the 1080 outperformed the 980ti then it will be good price/performance.

Of course it could simply be that Jensen's started smoking crack ;P
Most credible leak said 2070 is 10% slower than 1080 Ti. 2080 <10% faster than 1080 Ti.

Soldato
I was waiting to upgrade my 970, but I don't know what to do now I have seen the prices. I'm mainly upgrading for Metro Exodus, so I'm wondering if the 2070 would be worth the extra £70 over a 1080 for the slightly better performance and ray tracing tech.

Although I'd want the Asus Strix version, so i'm betting that will be more like £600+

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure why people are surprised tbh.

It's Nvidia, they have been doing it for years.

And people still defend them.

I can guarantee the same old few on this sub forum will buy 4 each. Because stupid

Back
Top Bottom