• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
Not sure why people are surprised tbh.

It's Nvidia, they have been doing it for years.

And people still defend them.

I can guarantee the same old few on this sub forum will buy 4 each. Because stupid

They usually always have a mid range card for around the £300 mark though. I have never spent more than £300 on a brand new card. The 970 was the last card I bought and the performance was amazing for the price at the time. I'd stick with my 970, but I want to get a new monitor that is 1440p, so i'm going to have to upgrade. Although i'm tempted to go for either a 1070ti or 1080 instead.

Associate
Works for apple :)

I guess if there was a great bump in performance to go with that then it would be ok (?) I'm guessing that games have to be designed from the ground up to take advantage of this new ray tracing tech so existing games won't run that much faster but we wait and see reviews I guess.

Soldato
Works for apple :)

I guess if there was a great bump in performance to go with that then it would be ok (?) I'm guessing that games have to be designed from the ground up to take advantage of this new ray tracing tech so existing games won't run that much faster but we wait and see reviews I guess.
No doesn't work for apple.

Also you CANNOT compare graphics cards to Mobile phones.

Ones something your forced to buy outright. And it's a single part of a PC.
The other is a full package which any Tom Dick and Harry can walk into a phone shop and buy on a monthly contract with barely and checks.

Associate
I mean nVidia are taking a leaf from Apple in that they charge crazy money for their products and people buy more of them. Genius! If the new cards are good at mining none of us gamers will actually be buying them anyway.

Associate
The problem is a lot of people are too daft to help themselves. When the writing is on the wall and you ignore it then you create problems down the line and what we see with Nvidia pricing is the obvious monopoly caused by people who never wanted to give AMD a chance even when AMD was delivering cards that were just a few fps below the Nvidia ones and monitors that were far cheaper compared to gsync (I remember comparing the 1060 and 1070 vs the AMD cards and seeing little difference) and it's the same when we looked at Nvidia closed platform style (gsync) vs AMD's open and cheaper one.

Gamers keep creating the push that allows the PC eco system to become more expensive, more proprietary tech and less wortwhile. I wouldn't mind spending a lot on a good gaming PC but the prices are getting stupid compared to just buying a console and not crybabying over a few fps / resolution. Overall though the performance gains we're seeing compared to the price increases are just killing the PC gaming scene for me.

You would have to be a major tool to buy at those prices or just a numpty FW
Unfortunately as much as this gets said each year there are some that dig into toolhood further :D Seriously though something has to give or just in a few years time there would surely be a negative impact on the amount of upgrades people do (or they can just suckle on weaker cards for more money I suppose)

Last edited:
Associate
The problem is a lot of people are too daft to help themselves. When the writing is on the wall and you ignore it then you create problems down the line and what we see with Nvidia pricing is the obvious monopoly caused by people who never wanted to give AMD a chance even when AMD was delivering cards that were just a few fps below the Nvidia ones and monitors that were far cheaper compared to gsync (I remember comparing the 1060 and 1070 vs the AMD cards and seeing little difference) and it's the same when we looked at Nvidia closed platform style (gsync) vs AMD's open and cheaper one.

Gamers keep creating the push that allows the PC eco system to become more expensive, more proprietary tech and less wortwhile. I wouldn't mind spending a lot on a good gaming PC but the prices are getting stupid compared to just buying a console and not crybabying over a few fps / resolution. Overall though the performance gains we're seeing compared to the price increases are just killing the PC gaming scene for me.

Unfortunately as much as this gets said each year there are some that dig into toolhood further :D Seriously though something has to give or just in a few years time there would surely be a negative impact on the amount of upgrades people do (or they can just suckle on weaker cards for more money I suppose)

When I had an AMD card I bought a HD7970 on launch. The cooler was a joke which made an absolute racket, I had to replace it with an aftermarket solution. Then when new games came out they didn't release proper drivers until weeks after launch. Eventually after 18 months they finally sorted themselves out and it was a reasonable card but when I bought a GTX 980 to replace it I was amazed by how much better Nvidia's support was. When the fury X was released I debated going back but my case wouldn't accommodate the AIO cooler, just as well really given on how that turned out as the promises about 4GB of HBM being enough turned out to be rubbish. Now they have Vega which is a reasonable effort but apparently they are losing money on every one they sell cos the 8GB of HBM is still very expensive, its also been out for a long time now and there is no replacement on the horizon.

Is it any surprise that most opt for Nvidia, I'm not sure I'd recommend an AMD GPU to anyone, its graphics division seems a bit like a bad joke these days.

Associate
When I had an AMD card I bought a HD7970 on launch. The cooler was a joke which made an absolute racket, I had to replace it with an aftermarket solution. Then when new games came out they didn't release proper drivers until weeks after launch. Eventually after 18 months they finally sorted themselves out and it was a reasonable card but when I bought a GTX 980 to replace it I was amazed by how much better Nvidia's support was. When the fury X was released I debated going back but my case wouldn't accommodate the AIO cooler, just as well really given on how that turned out as the promises about 4GB of HBM being enough turned out to be rubbish. Now they have Vega which is a reasonable effort but apparently they are losing money on every one they sell cos the 8GB of HBM is still very expensive, its also been out for a long time now and there is no replacement on the horizon.

Is it any surprise that most opt for Nvidia, I'm not sure I'd recommend an AMD GPU to anyone, its graphics division seems a bit like a bad joke these days.

Drivers better with amd than nvidia.
Just shows how reality dont get into the mindshare out there.
7970 is 7 years old.
amd has made a lot more cards since then and their driver support is top notch.

1500euro for the 2080ti here.
Thats a joke IMO

Associate
Drivers better with amd than nvidia.
Just shows how reality dont get into the mindshare out there.
7970 is 7 years old.
amd has made a lot more cards since then and their driver support is top notch.

1500euro for the 2080ti here.
Thats a joke IMO

once bitten twice shy, and lets face it their cards in the high end haven't been much to shout about and all have their issues, unfortunately until recently the vega cards have been a stupid price due to the mining, and now they just aren't competitive despite the price having come down.

The RX580 is a decent card, my mate has one and it goes toe to toe with a GTX 1060

No it doesn't http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-vs-AMD-RX-580/3603vs3923

Soldato
Reading about the 2080 Ti more, looks like a very good card.

Price remains bonkers though, need to be daft as a brush to support this pricing.

Stay strong, don't buy at these prices. Force the price down. Start a revolution xD

Associate
That's a 1080 you've compared it to :p
Lol my bad I read your post wrong, I agree the volume amd stuff is pretty good. As a value brand I'd probably go for AMD rather than Nvidia and for 1080p an all AMD rig makes a lot of sense. I just don't think AMD makes sense if you are interested in having the latest and greatest.

Back
Top Bottom