• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
OP
Tbh the pound/dollar issue was a smokescreen. Current pricing for 1080/70 is just another example of consumers being ripped off.

Associate
I've just noticed that this new generation does not improve the price/performance ratio. 480 performs like the 390, similar price. 1070 like the 980ti, similar price.

This isn't right, is it? Shouldn't we get increased performance for the same money, particularly after a die shrink... ?

It did when the 1080 hit the market. Everything old shifted downwards. Old products roughly realigned to price points relative to the new price/perf 'standard'.

So on launch there was a noteable price/perf improvement. But a price comparison now, after this price adjustment, naturally shows none with new 14/16nm vs old 28nm products - at current prices. Weakened £ doesn't help matters. The RX 480 should have set a slightly better price/perf standard but brexit wiped it out it.

Last edited:
Associate
The exchange rate changes are just the icing on the cake after NVidia decided to increase the prices in excess of gains. We have for years expected to get a 'free' performance gain from new tech, ensuring that cards stay within budgets, this generation to my mind has bumped itself up a notch on the price points as well.

I cannot particularly blame OcUK for trying to cover it's position, Gibbo has explained it coherently, they are absorbing it where they can. They could use forward currency contracts to mitigate currency risk, but that in itself is a cost to pass on.

TLDR - The wholesale price is the biggest problem not the re sellers greed.

Associate
The longterm forecast for Sterling is $1.10 to $1.30. And maybe parity with the dollar, which hasn't happened ever. Meanwhile Cameron and Boris have buggered off. This is a much bigger financial debacle than the ERM in the 1990's, and we know what that caused.

Associate
I can't believe retailers aren't price gouging these cards under the guise of exchange rates. The custom cards were supposed to be cheaper than the founders editions. Now we are seeing the custom cards being sold at a 10-20% premium and prices at retailers varying by the same amount. The ones in stock increase in price as soon as they are advertised without the preorder tag. Ocuk isn't the worst but they are certainly joining in this game.

Some will argue that that's what happens with supply and demand but this seems to be one of the only industries that does it this way. When the consoles are in demand they sell for retail, same as most other electrical items.

Sadly what this has meant is that there is little point buying a 1080 at these silly prices when you can pick up a card 20% slower for what is now getting on for half the price. It's not great value at £619 but it's completely mad to consider it at £700 or £800. Sli might not be ideal but 1070 sli or 980ti sli can be done for the same or not much more money than these 1080 prices and will deliver far better frame rates in the games that support sli which is pretty much every game that requires the extra grunt to hit the top settings.

Soldato
The longterm forecast for Sterling is $1.10 to $1.30. And maybe parity with the dollar, which hasn't happened ever. Meanwhile Cameron and Boris have buggered off. This is a much bigger financial debacle than the ERM in the 1990's, and we know what that caused.

The FTSE closed above what it had been a week prior after the first week post-Brexit. Go peddle your spiteful doomsaying elsewhere please.

Can mods please close this thread or move it?

Caporegime
Tbh the pound/dollar issue was a smokescreen. Current pricing for 1080/70 is just another example of consumers being ripped off.

Agreed. 1080 Flounders and 1070 have either not moved in price or very slightly. 1080 custom boards in stock have shifted 10 to 15% depsit the exchange rate not moving anything like this.

But all retailers are doing this to various degrees. As soon as they get stock or are just about to, the price increase.

Caporegime
We've done nearly 2M GBP value on GPU sales in last 30 days with a lot of stock that when it is paid for will result in a loss due to PO's raised at 1.45 and when we have to pay bank giving us 1.32, were hoping it gets back over 1.35 be settling invoices otherwise losses like your company can be big. :(

It baffles me as to why some don't understand basic economics.....

Thats a 8.9% increase yet prices of a lot of cards have been more than 8.9%?????

Or is the current pricing to regain some of the losses you have taken on earlier cards?

Associate
When Gibbo lower the price due to strong GBP, no one said a word.
When Leave campaign won, everyone knew GBP will drop and EVERYTHING that is imported will be more expensive. Why are you so surprised?

Associate
When Gibbo lower the price due to strong GBP, no one said a word.
When Leave campaign won, everyone knew GBP will drop and EVERYTHING that is imported will be more expensive. Why are you so surprised?

Because its only the prices of these GPU's that have gone up so much - everything else you buy is still the same price.

Soldato
Because its only the prices of these GPU's that have gone up so much - everything else you buy is still the same price.

I suspect a lot of stack has been paid for at the $1.40-5 price, so they don't have to raise the price instantly. And some items may have better margins than others so they can afford a bit more retained.

If they £ stays weak expect most prices to gradually increase.

OcUK Staff
I suspect a lot of stack has been paid for at the $1.40-5 price, so they don't have to raise the price instantly. And some items may have better margins than others so they can afford a bit more retained.

If they £ stays weak expect most prices to gradually increase.

This CPUs only increased a little as we have a lot of 1.46 stock, but as we replenish with 1.32 stock our cost average increases but were able to average up as we keep adding to stock, so the price gradually moves up.

The new VGA cards stay in stock for only a day or so, some just hours, even minutes and are being booked at like rates as low as 1.31 now due to how weak pound is becoming.

Associate
I honestly believe that speculating as to retailers' intentions, whilst possessing little to no data about their operations, stock inventory or finances is somewhat pointless at the moment.

Given the magnitude of the economic changes to come and the resultant period of uncertainty, Sterling is obviously going to be unstable for a while. Its value is likely to fluctuate around a cautious median, at the whims and reflexes of investors and in response to the many events that will unfold as the terms of the exit are negotiated.

During this time, prices will rise as new products are released, new stock is acquired and rotated, and also as retailers seek to offset losses and brace themselves moving forward. They will similarly fall in response to Sterling increasing in value and holding ground and as retailers seek to restore consumer confidence.

Investors aren't the only commercial entity that are affected by financial uncertainty, retailers that deal mostly in imported goods, are heavily impacted also and they will and absolutely SHOULD, be concerned primarily with the best interests of their business.

To that end, there are many reasons as to why retailers might choose to increase prices in the current climate, beyond just capitalistic greed. This is an incredibly complex and unfamiliar situation economically and it's going to take a while for everybody affected; including retailers, to find their footing and sort out.

Associate
The other problem with retailers increasing prices is you loose orders I was looking at Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 HerculeZ Twin X2 last night for £575 with 10+ in stock...... I've just got back from work and it's gone up to £589.99 and with the Philips 43" 4k monitor that's over 1.1k ....But I'm not going to pay that much for a Inno ....... I shall stick with my 970 and 1440p 32" monitor for now......

Associate
Yeah, it all came a month early for me. I intended to go for a 1080 towards the end of July, but it looks at least as if prices will hold on the high side for a few months yet and sterling seems but a negative UK or EU official announcement away from trickling down further. I don't know whether to just bite the bullet now, or take a chance, wait for better availability and hope it sends the price down a bit. I tell ya, bloody politics sometimes. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom