• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The FTSE closed above what it had been a week prior after the first week post-Brexit. Go peddle your spiteful doomsaying elsewhere please.

Can mods please close this thread or move it?

Lol i think gpu prices are decent considering but really lol you think leaving the EU will help this economy we ain't left yet btw until the next Prime Minister comes in and is supposed to start article 50 so doesn't that flicker any lights in your head thats its not the best idea we have seen a big loss and thats before we actually leave...

thats all i have to say on that and yh NVIDIA gpus are for those with money to burn at the high end. AMD will probably allways be best bang for your buck (or even lesser buck once we leave the EU lol)

Associate
The FTSE closed above what it had been a week prior after the first week post-Brexit. Go peddle your spiteful doomsaying elsewhere please.

Which one? 100 or 250?

FTSE 100 was up because 75% of the companies listed in it are multinationals who operate overseas. A drop in the pound means that eg. if you make your companies income in $ then when you bring it back to the UK its worth more as £ is lower. That's why FTSE 100 is up. FTSE 250 which contains more companies whose operations are UK based and thus subject to the outlook for the UK economy went up a bit after a steep drop but not as far.

These movements by the way are a response to the idea that we might be leaving the EU. As yet we have no idea of what any alternatives will be or what kind of relationship we will end up in. Once that becomes clearer expect more movement in markets.

The prediction the pound will go sub $1.20 is being made by the likes of HSBC and George Soros it's really not doom-saying its knowledgeable experts giving their best assessment of it's likely trajectory. Events might alter that but short of some kind of move to reverse the idiotic self harming decision to leave the EU that trend towards parity seems reasonably likely to me. Expect to pay a heck of a lot more for pretty much everything in future and I suspect due to the tightness of margins in IT retail the prices of all IT components will rise substantially in the next few years, I would be pretty shocked if in the next 5 years we don't enjoy price rises of around 30% in IT components.

So when you upgrade your GPU to the next gen after 1080 expect to pay something like 30% more for it, but hey we 'took back control' right!

Permabanned
Which one? 100 or 250?

FTSE 100 was up because 75% of the companies listed in it are multinationals who operate overseas. A drop in the pound means that eg. if you make your companies income in $ then when you bring it back to the UK its worth more as £ is lower. That's why FTSE 100 is up. FTSE 250 which contains more companies whose operations are UK based and thus subject to the outlook for the UK economy went up a bit after a steep drop but not as far.

These movements by the way are a response to the idea that we might be leaving the EU. As yet we have no idea of what any alternatives will be or what kind of relationship we will end up in. Once that becomes clearer expect more movement in markets.

The prediction the pound will go sub $1.20 is being made by the likes of HSBC and George Soros it's really not doom-saying its knowledgeable experts giving their best assessment of it's likely trajectory. Events might alter that but short of some kind of move to reverse the idiotic self harming decision to leave the EU that trend towards parity seems reasonably likely to me. Expect to pay a heck of a lot more for pretty much everything in future and I suspect due to the tightness of margins in IT retail the prices of all IT components will rise substantially in the next few years, I would be pretty shocked if in the next 5 years we don't enjoy price rises of around 30% in IT components.

So when you upgrade your GPU to the next gen after 1080 expect to pay something like 30% more for it, but hey we 'took back control' right!

They cannot keep the manipulation up forever, Make no mistake what is going on here none of us understand frankly even people who spend thier entire careers with money still struggle or we would not of had depressions over and over. This is why it is such an effective scamming tool, It is not backed by anything this is people manipulating a bit of printed paper to take revenge.

I was not even pro Brexit until i saw the aftermath before anyone puts that claim out there, And i think this will die down once they get the message there will not be a U Turn.

Soldato
It's not, the ps4 and xbox won't go up in price, the surface won't go up in price neither will the tv's or the bluray players. Nope it'll only be the computer component retailers that will shaft you.

Wont go down in price. The xbox cycle usually has it selling for 99 sterling at some point. If the exchange rate is weaker the effect would be to delay that lowering of the price through the product lifecycle.

All these consoles have PC gpu in there now afaik its just that tech is actually quite old, and with a set known production and layout for that product we are just talking economies of scales for its price to gradually drop.
Sony or whoever manage the profit margin on that falling cost to also target new consumers who really dont want to be spend several hundreds on console. Its called price targetting or something, like how they bin CPU and cap its speed then target sections of the market with a price & performance - but every cpu has the same cost to Intel Im fairly sure.

A brand new gpu or product has much keener pricing thats all we seeing, much later they'll refine different versions of these products and you get that xbox thing where prices just float there waiting for a buyer. Brand new gpu is a much faster slimmer supply chain, there is less of a buffer in price changes
Its not a fairy story that exchange rate has a real effect on an importer, we dont make GPU in UK. I think we make Pi and maybe thats the control for electronics pricing

Last edited:
Associate
The other problem with retailers increasing prices is you loose orders I was looking at Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 HerculeZ Twin X2 last night for £575 with 10+ in stock...... I've just got back from work and it's gone up to £589.99 and with the Philips 43" 4k monitor that's over 1.1k ....But I'm not going to pay that much for a Inno ....... I shall stick with my 970 and 1440p 32" monitor for now......

I don't mean to sound rude but that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. You were prepared to pay £1105 (£530 monitor and £575 gpu) but you won't pay £15 more? I can understand the increase on a £200 GPU, but £15 on 1100 is barely anything!

Soldato
They cannot keep the manipulation up forever, Make no mistake what is going on here none of us understand frankly even people who spend thier entire careers with money still struggle or we would not of had depressions over and over. This is why it is such an effective scamming tool, It is not backed by anything this is people manipulating a bit of printed paper to take revenge.

I was not even pro Brexit until i saw the aftermath before anyone puts that claim out there, And i think this will die down once they get the message there will not be a U Turn.

So BaronVonDuncs gives us a reasoned and supported argument and you respond with faith-based assertions that it's the result of "manipulation" and that "nobody understands". Plenty of us understand and we can demonstrate that by the simple fact we said this is what would happen before it did and were right.

Associate
If people don't like the price don't buy the bloody things......simples
If gibbo sets a price and they continue to sell where he can make a profit for his employer excellent
If he sets a price and doesn't sell any then he knows he has priced them wrong....then maybe the price will be reduced

Soldato
So BaronVonDuncs gives us a reasoned and supported argument and you respond with faith-based assertions that it's the result of "manipulation" and that "nobody understands". Plenty of us understand and we can demonstrate that by the simple fact we said this is what would happen before it did and were right.

erm, predicitng the sun will come up tomorrow "by the simple fact a giant noodle monster will pull it around the earth" doesnt make it any more true or accurate

You are terribly naive if you think the money markets are not manipulated

Soldato

g, like how they bin CPU and cap its speed then target sections of the market with a price & performance - but every cpu has the same cost to Intel Im fairly sure.

It depends how you look at it. A wafer costs the same to produce, but then sometimes yields dictate how many of a top binned CPU you can produce. If you are getting "too many" lower binned chips and you still need the higher binned chips then effectively the cost of producing the top binned chip increases as you have more wasted cores than you can sell as lower binned parts.

Associate
BaronVonDuncs said:

Give them time, it'll sink in eventually, there's only so much reality denial can soak up before it becomes overwhelmed. :rolleyes: This situation we're all in is likely to degrade before it gets better, so they'll have all the time they need. Anybody who was expecting a brief blip on the markets before it's all back to normal, has no concept of the enormity of what has happened and/or how complex it's going to be to sort out.

The fact that pro remain are presenting reasoned arguments based on the workings of real economic and financial machinery in this thread, whilst pro leave are citing the astronomical significance of "giant noodle monsters", market manipulation conspiracy and asking for the thread to be closed or moved due to offended sensitivities, says perhaps more than they might like it to on reflection.

h4rm0ny said:
... plus huge swathes of the public

Just shy of 50% wasn't it? Observations :-

It's strange you know, when governments in other countries force half the country to do something they don't want to, we call it dictatorship, but here in Britain we call it democracy.

Nigel Farage made no small point of the fact that a marginal result would justify a second referendum, yet he's been expectedly quiet about that since the result. It's a shame you know, because if he hadn't said that, he could be having a great time now telling everybody that democracy has spoken and how the "will of the people" must be respected.

Boris could not jump quickly enough, at the chance to weasel out of leading Britain into the bright and prosperous future he sold everybody throughout his campaign, he moved with such speed that he almost broke the universe. Maybe he's just modest and didn't want to take all the credit? And where did he go after the result? Maybe he wanted to get in quick and buy a 1080 before the prices shot up.

David Cameron could not have resigned more quickly from his post if there was a stick of dynamite up his backside. Though, I can't say I blame him, nobody wants to be remembered for nestling Britain into a prolonged economic depression, at least not at the same time as losing Britain's relationship with one of the world's largest economies down the back of the sofa and losing Scotland to the almost inevitable independence vote to come. One. of. the. worst... prime-ministerial legacies in British history, he could've accidentally dropped a book on the button and been remembered more fondly (obviously an exaggeration, but it paints a picture). I wonder how much time he's spent contemplating the soundness in his judgement of not specifying a voting margin? Or in deciding that he thought holding a public referendum about ANYTHING, on the back of a prolonged period of austerity was a good idea, or barely 2 minutes into stabilization following one of the worse global economic crisis' the planet earth has ever witnessed? Or for being stupid enough to propose "come on Britain, follow me and do... well nothing really, just follow me, I don't even know why I'm doing it, I think I just need some more risk you know."

George Osborne has just come out of hiding in a bunker somewhere and told the country, "nope the deals off, we have two chances of clearing the deficit now, fat and slim and slim's out of town." Because if he didn't know, somewhere deep down that it wasn't possible before, he b***dy does now. I wonder whether he's thanked his mate Dave for tendering his resignation and getting him off the hook for a few months?

/Sorry about that, I'm deep behind enemy lines here, so I haven't been able to talk about it very often.

Last edited:
Soldato
My 2500k may last me forever if the CPU market is going to be affected over the coming years too. This thing is a real trooper.

Two strawmen in one post. I didn't say there was no manipulation in money markets, I called out a poster for blaming the plunging pound on "manipulation." It's a direct and obvious consequence of lack of confidence in the UK and requires no secret Machiavellian schemes.

And as to predictions, the person I was replying to was claiming nobody understood such processes. Your sun analogy is bizarrely off point. You might as well come out and say it that you think people just happen to be right for the wrong reasons. But when every remotely respectable financial institution and body of economists that gave an opinion predicted this plus huge swathes of the public, I think it's fair to say we might have some understanding rather than claim we're equivalently superstitious as people talking about noodle monsters and just all coincidentally happened to get it right.

Removed
, and it's the constraints of your bias that make you so.

You've got to give him credit though, a giant noodle monster pulling the sun around the earth is quite creative. I'm almost convinced.

Soldato
I think we need to wait for the pound to recover. (If it does). And AMD to compete properly with Nvidia. From every angle we are getting ****** as consumers just now. Paying the same price as last year for the same speed cr*p. Or indeed paying a small fortune for something marginally faster. It's a joke.

Soldato
Why don't the monitors go up in price like the GPU's are ? :confused:

Like the Asus PG348Q ROG Swift 34" is still at the same price as weeks ago

A £800 MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK EK goes up by £100 to £900,
But a £1100 monitor stays the same price..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Why don't the monitors go up in price like the GPU's are ? :confused:

Like the Asus PG348Q ROG Swift 34" is still at the same price as weeks ago

A £800 MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK EK goes up by £100 to £900,
But a £1100 monitor stays the same price..

Because you can get away with it? :eek:

Soldato
My 2500k may last me forever if the CPU market is going to be affected over the coming years too. This thing is a real trooper.

You've got to give him credit though, a giant noodle monster pulling the sun around the earth is quite creative. I'm almost convinced.

Your 2500k gets it's arse handed to it in many games, compared to a new Broadwell-E/Skylake CPU.

Yes it still lets you play games, but you'll suffer much bigger fps drops than you would with a modern CPU.

Soldato
Which games are that cpu dependant. The biggest one I know of is arma.

The exchange rate wont move in just one direction, I think the effects are shorter term. Unless it regains 1.34 Im not optimistic on it right now but longer term its reliant on trade balance anyway, ie. exports not just the imports. Theres a great big potash mine under yorkshire going up in the next decade, 20bn of exports that kind of size matters more then newspaper headlines

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom