• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Which one? 100 or 250?

FTSE 100 was up because 75% of the companies listed in it are multinationals who operate overseas. A drop in the pound means that eg. if you make your companies income in $ then when you bring it back to the UK its worth more as £ is lower. That's why FTSE 100 is up. FTSE 250 which contains more companies whose operations are UK based and thus subject to the outlook for the UK economy went up a bit after a steep drop but not as far.

These movements by the way are a response to the idea that we might be leaving the EU. As yet we have no idea of what any alternatives will be or what kind of relationship we will end up in. Once that becomes clearer expect more movement in markets.

The prediction the pound will go sub $1.20 is being made by the likes of HSBC and George Soros it's really not doom-saying its knowledgeable experts giving their best assessment of it's likely trajectory. Events might alter that but short of some kind of move to reverse the idiotic self harming decision to leave the EU that trend towards parity seems reasonably likely to me. Expect to pay a heck of a lot more for pretty much everything in future and I suspect due to the tightness of margins in IT retail the prices of all IT components will rise substantially in the next few years, I would be pretty shocked if in the next 5 years we don't enjoy price rises of around 30% in IT components.

So when you upgrade your GPU to the next gen after 1080 expect to pay something like 30% more for it, but hey we 'took back control' right!

if people dont pay for the products they cant sell em or make money.so price has to be realistic.regardless of the situation ;)

so expect to pay 30 percent extra no. prepare not to get a sale.we are at standards now for many enthusiasts and pc people where we dont even need to upgrade.

if sales drop over a period the prices will drop. they need to function make money.its that simple.at the moment there is a gap to exploit or make money companies will while hot products are about.

if you can sell them as fast as you can and make extra because of certain situations you will if you in business. its a money thing.not love.:D

Associate
if people dont pay for the products they cant sell em or make money.so price has to be realistic.regardless of the situation ;)

so expect to pay 30 percent extra no. prepare not to get a sale.we are at standards now for many enthusiasts and pc people where we dont even need to upgrade.

if sales drop over a period the prices will drop. they need to function make money.its that simple.at the moment there is a gap to exploit or make money companies will while hot products are about.

if you can sell them as fast as you can and make extra because of certain situations you will if you in business. its a money thing.not love.:D

Where to begin?

Yes price is of course a function of demand, if demand falls and supply remains constant then price would fall to find an equilibrium point at which the market clears, that is basic microeconomics. However that is based on an assumption that supply remains constant. If a good is imported and thus priced in an external currency e.g $ then a reduction in the value of the £ raises the break even price for a supplier. So if demand reduces and market price falls to below the break even price of supply then supply will reduce leading to a raising of price until such time as the price equilibrium exceeds the break even cost of supply. So whilst there would be a long term reduction in demand ultimately price will have to stabilise in the market to a level above the break even price of supply. So if the £ loses 30% of its value over the medium to long term effectively the break even price of supply is going to go up by 30% and in the longer term the market would be expected to stabilise at a level above that, ergo the GPU you want will cost you 30% more (that is an estimate based on the predicted sub $1.20 to the £ and possibly some tariffs if under WTO rules.) Obviously at that equilibrium demand would be likely to reduce so market volume will reduce.

It really has crap all to do with what consumers think are realistic prices.

Associate
People keep saying that the 1000 series will drop in price.

However the 900 series didn't see any price drops until only a few weeks back!

That is my perception too, hence how i have justified a latest gen gpu to myself on release; I am not going to get it cheaper 6 months down the line.

I reckon people will be outraged by the new Ti prices, moreso than the vanilla 1080s anyway!

Associate
Why don't the monitors go up in price like the GPU's are ? :confused:

Like the Asus PG348Q ROG Swift 34" is still at the same price as weeks ago

A £800 MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK EK goes up by £100 to £900,
But a £1100 monitor stays the same price..

I believe a lot of the monitors may have been pre-paid for before the pound crashed (or they were purchased inside the UK).

Once they go out of stock, expect prices to go up.

1440p/144Hz has gone up by £100 (although there were a few deals on - but still it's a hell of a big leap).

Soldato
The prediction the pound will go sub $1.20 is being made by the likes of George Soros it's really not doom-saying its knowledgeable experts giving their best assessment of it's likely trajectory.

Wy6X0vm.png

You mean this guy? International criminal and general all-around enemy of democracy?

Soldato
I reckon people will be outraged by the new Ti prices, moreso than the vanilla 1080s anyway!
But they will still pay it the same as they did with the vanilla 1080s.....:p

I remembers loads saying they not going buy a GTX 1080 at £600+ , But many of them same people now have a GTX 1080 in there system ..;)

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Why don't the monitors go up in price like the GPU's are ? :confused:

Like the Asus PG348Q ROG Swift 34" is still at the same price as weeks ago

A £800 MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK EK goes up by £100 to £900,
But a £1100 monitor stays the same price..

Monitors are purchased in GBP and typically the manufacturer only adjust pricing for exchange rate at start of every quarter. So they likely will go up but in a months time and it will be dramatic. But at the same time depending on stock in hubs and their location price could hold.

SeaHawk went up to £900 due to supply and demand, not exchange rate. ;)

Soldato
But they will still pay it the same as they did with the vanilla 1080s.....:p

I remembers loads saying they not going buy a GTX 1080 at £600+ , But many of them same people now have a GTX 1080 in there system ..;)

Whilst easy credit is available people will buy. That's what put up house prices, cheap credit. Just becomes an auction with other people's money and they keep bidding until they run out!

Associate
OP
Monitors are purchased in GBP and typically the manufacturer only adjust pricing for exchange rate at start of every quarter. So they likely will go up but in a months time and it will be dramatic. But at the same time depending on stock in hubs and their location price could hold.

SeaHawk went up to £900 due to supply and demand, not exchange rate. ;)
£900 for a GPU!!!:confused:

Associate
Wy6X0vm.png

You mean this guy? International criminal and general all-around enemy of democracy?

international criminal? What crimes has he allegedly committed? Why is he an enemy of democracy?

The article you post says he gave $33m to groups organizing a campaign protesting the incidence of police shootings in the US involving black people. What exactly is wrong with that? How is that undemocratic to donate to peaceful protest groups?

How do you think he became a billionaire? He didn't inherit it he has accumulated it over his lifetime of trading in currency markets. I would suggest that indicates he does know a thing or two about currency markets and predicting price trends.

Permabanned
Give them time, it'll sink in eventually, there's only so much reality denial can soak up before it becomes overwhelmed. :rolleyes: This situation we're all in is likely to degrade before it gets better, so they'll have all the time they need. Anybody who was expecting a brief blip on the markets before it's all back to normal, has no concept of the enormity of what has happened and/or how complex it's going to be to sort out.

The fact that pro remain are presenting reasoned arguments based on the workings of real economic and financial machinery in this thread, whilst pro leave are citing the astronomical significance of "giant noodle monsters", market manipulation conspiracy and asking for the thread to be closed or moved due to offended sensitivities, says perhaps more than they might like it to on reflection.

Just shy of 50% wasn't it? Observations :-

It's strange you know, when governments in other countries force half the country to do something they don't want to, we call it dictatorship, but here in Britain we call it democracy.

Nigel Farage made no small point of the fact that a marginal result would justify a second referendum, yet he's been expectedly quiet about that since the result. It's a shame you know, because if he hadn't said that, he could be having a great time now telling everybody that democracy has spoken and how the "will of the people" must be respected.

Boris could not jump quickly enough, at the chance to weasel out of leading Britain into the bright and prosperous future he sold everybody throughout his campaign, he moved with such speed that he almost broke the universe. Maybe he's just modest and didn't want to take all the credit? And where did he go after the result? Maybe he wanted to get in quick and buy a 1080 before the prices shot up.

David Cameron could not have resigned more quickly from his post if there was a stick of dynamite up his backside. Though, I can't say I blame him, nobody wants to be remembered for nestling Britain into a prolonged economic depression, at least not at the same time as losing Britain's relationship with one of the world's largest economies down the back of the sofa and losing Scotland to the almost inevitable independence vote to come. One. of. the. worst... prime-ministerial legacies in British history, he could've accidentally dropped a book on the button and been remembered more fondly (obviously an exaggeration, but it paints a picture). I wonder how much time he's spent contemplating the soundness in his judgement of not specifying a voting margin? Or in deciding that he thought holding a public referendum about ANYTHING, on the back of a prolonged period of austerity was a good idea, or barely 2 minutes into stabilization following one of the worse global economic crisis' the planet earth has ever witnessed? Or for being stupid enough to propose "come on Britain, follow me and do... well nothing really, just follow me, I don't even know why I'm doing it, I think I just need some more risk you know."

George Osborne has just come out of hiding in a bunker somewhere and told the country, "nope the deals off, we have two chances of clearing the deficit now, fat and slim and slim's out of town." Because if he didn't know, somewhere deep down that it wasn't possible before, he b***dy does now. I wonder whether he's thanked his mate Dave for tendering his resignation and getting him off the hook for a few months?

/Sorry about that, I'm deep behind enemy lines here, so I haven't been able to talk about it very often.

To be honest, I already said i was NOT pro leave, Infact if you look through my post history from around Christmas you will see i said eventually i wanted Russia in the EU instead of Turkey and my gripes would be very little. But here you are quoting me as being brexit? Erm sorry but no one will take someone serious who cannot even read.

And also i see you are buying into one side being dumb and another being smart, This is the same mindset that actually made people go out and vote exit so when you talk about reflections? I think you are the man who needs that most mate. And as for national debt it was not being paid off inside the EU and will not outside of the EU.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think you understand, the vast majority of purchases are priced in USD and we do not carry months and months of stock - so for popular lines we haven't even paid for them yet and when we do, we'll be subject to the market rate on dollars - which atm stinks!

I work for a company in the same sector as you are, not in your specific niche market though.

Part of my job is to protect us from the volatility of the currency market, and i'm surprised that OCUK wouldn't be hedging dollars with forward contracts or similar for this very reason. Especially when there was such a pivotal event as a referendum coming?

Soldato
I work for a company in the same sector as you are, not in your specific niche market though.

Part of my job is to protect us from the volatility of the currency market, and i'm surprised that OCUK wouldn't be hedging dollars with forward contracts or similar for this very reason. Especially when there was such a pivotal event as a referendum coming?

Same here. We stockpile Dollars before such events and buy and sell them as needed to ensure stability. Think of it as a UPS for your money. It smooths out the flow. So customers don't get stung with unexpected price hikes.

Soldato
But if they had done that and brexit hadn't have happed they could have lost out on a similar windfall and their competitors would have an advantage.

And of course this also depends on having the cash flow avaliable, I suspect such a GPU Launch + the RX 480 would wipe out any normal level of dollor stockpile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom