• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Farage said he thought the vote out wouldnt go through, I didnt because Im on a forum that has no OAP and that section vote was consensus in. Never really read any big representation for out even though Im open to that view
Pretty sure all the polls saw a swing over to the remain side in the run up. Markets themselves saw that outcome.

Theres a cost to currency hedges. I dont know if your in the business how much is the option for each 10k at a certain price option take it or leave it. That sounds too nice to be true or too expensive probably.
Was anybody watching the markets and absolutely sure from midnight onwards sterling would fall, to then hedge would have been smart its just I dont know for sure

Did any company hedge that smartly and is now pricing below others, seems nobody did. Surely Amazon or some global operation should have the upper hand through their operations :confused:

Swiss watered down their currency to stop it rising vs euro and sterling ? Thats the amazon hub afaik

OcUK Staff
Same here. We stockpile Dollars before such events and buy and sell them as needed to ensure stability. Think of it as a UPS for your money. It smooths out the flow. So customers don't get stung with unexpected price hikes.

We did 2.5M GBP turnover on VGA alone in June, so even if we had stockpiled 1M GBP of US dollars, they'd of being wiped out in no time.

Associate
To be honest, I already said i was NOT pro leave, Infact if you look through my post history from around Christmas you will see i said eventually i wanted Russia in the EU instead of Turkey and my gripes would be very little. But here you are quoting me as being brexit? Erm sorry but no one will take someone serious who cannot even read.

As is well versed with political opinion, people are more often likely to deny positions they align with, than otherwise. "I'm not [position] but..." is a common example. A person denying their position in instances like these, actually has the opposite affect to distancing them from it, because human beings are astute enough to understand the subtext of such statements.

Your statement "I was not even pro Brexit until the aftermath ..." indicates fairly logically in lexical terms that you've been "pro Brexit since the aftermath...". The words until and since, are very clearly understood in language, so it's highly improbable; though not impossible, that you misspoke. They are mutually exclusive prepositions and unless you misspoke, I consider you to be clear in stating your position.

Christmas, was a long time ago, both in politics and in real time, I don't believe that many people will consider my not reading your post history back 6 months to reflect that poorly on my ability to read in general. Besides, even if I had read your opinions about Russia joining the EU six months ago, I wouldn't consider them to be relevant in determining your alignment six months since. Also, there's no need to apologize, not unless you really mean it, but it was nice of you, thanks. :p

And also i see you are buying into one side being dumb and another being smart,

No, just how both camps are presenting themselves in this thread, countering sound argument based on real economic, fiscal and financial principle, with claims of mass market conspiracy and space born noodle monsters, makes the situation in here very clear, as funny as it is.

I know some leave voters who had genuinely valid, albeit entirely self-serving reasons to vote the way they did, in fact the result makes me financially better off, at least in the short term, even though I voted remain. I also know people who voted leave for stupid reasons, I also know people who voted remain for valid reasons and people who voted remain for stupid reasons. I also know people who didn't vote at all, considering themselves to not know enough about the incredibly esoteric intricacies of the financial economy to make an informed choice, which actually demonstrates a level of heuristic self awareness that society could benefit from more people having to be honest.

I'm actually of the opinion that both campaigns were two of the most negative, bias-loaded and uninformative campaigns in British political history and owing to that, the majority of people on either side, probably based their vote mostly on blind emotion, whipped up by a relentless barrage of rhetoric, designed to inspire fear and prejudice. Both campaigns were as terrible as the appaling behaviour of their champions since.

This is the same mindset that actually made people go out and vote exit so when you talk about reflections? I think you are the man who needs that most mate. And as for national debt it was not being paid off inside the EU and will not outside of the EU.

I would suggest that anybody who went out and cast a vote in one of Britain's most important peace time referendums, on the basis of righting a perceived slight on their capacity for intelligent thought, didn't take the referendum seriously and didn't reflect nearly well enough on the consequences. The vote wasn't a glorified IQ test, it was never about how clever people felt, or their insecurities thereof, but given what was at stake and given how important the decision was, I can confidently say that anybody who did vote the way they did for the reason you mentioned, did not act intelligently. I can think of nothing more ironic and utterly self-defeating, than somebody doing something stupid, in order to get back at people who think they are.

The debt was being paid off, albeit very slowly, I don't believe they would have ultimately met their target of clearing the deficit by 2020, but that, believe it or not, is besides the point. The outcome of the referendum and the economic shock it has caused, has put it beyond reasonable doubt that it is now, not possible. The chancellor coming out publicly, with a statement that writes off one of his party's key manifesto pledges, is politically very significant, as were the statements made by Mark Carney concerning the country's immediate economic risks and future economic prospects, as are statements presented by other expert economists and financial institutions, because these are things that influence confidence and everybody should be listening to them and giving them serious consideration, that would be the intelligent thing to do. Making up silly reasons to dismiss them, because they are unpalatable, isn't intelligent.

Associate
But they will still pay it the same as they did with the vanilla 1080s.....:p

I remembers loads saying they not going buy a GTX 1080 at £600+ , But many of them same people now have a GTX 1080 in there system ..;)

that is true, I am one of those, I only pulled the trigger on the 24-th of June after referendum results were in. Fully expected prices to go up and they did.

Associate
As is well versed with political opinion, people are more often likely to deny positions they align with, than otherwise. "I'm not [position] but..." is a common example. A person denying their position in instances like these, actually has the opposite affect to distancing them from it, because human beings are astute enough to understand the subtext of such statements.

Your statement "I was not even pro Brexit until the aftermath ..." indicates fairly logically in lexical terms that you've been "pro Brexit since the aftermath...". The words until and since, are very clearly understood in language, so it's highly improbable; though not impossible, that you misspoke. They are mutually exclusive prepositions and unless you misspoke, I consider you to be clear in stating your position.

Christmas, was a long time ago, both in politics and in real time, I don't believe that many people will consider my not reading your post history back 6 months to reflect that poorly on my ability to read in general. Besides, even if I had read your opinions about Russia joining the EU six months ago, I wouldn't consider them to be relevant in determining your alignment six months since. Also, there's no need to apologize, not unless you really mean it, but it was nice of you, thanks. :p

No, just how both camps are presenting themselves in this thread, countering sound argument based on real economic, fiscal and financial principle, with claims of mass market conspiracy and space born noodle monsters, makes the situation in here very clear, as funny as it is.

I know some leave voters who had genuinely valid, albeit entirely self-serving reasons to vote the way they did, in fact the result makes me financially better off, at least in the short term, even though I voted remain. I also know people who voted leave for stupid reasons, I also know people who voted remain for valid reasons and people who voted remain for stupid reasons. I also know people who didn't vote at all, considering themselves to not know enough about the incredibly esoteric intricacies of the financial economy to make an informed choice, which actually demonstrates a level of heuristic self awareness that society could benefit from more people having to be honest.

I'm actually of the opinion that both campaigns were two of the most negative, bias-loaded and uninformative campaigns in British political history and owing to that, the majority of people on either side, probably based their vote mostly on blind emotion, whipped up by a relentless barrage of rhetoric, designed to inspire fear and prejudice. Both campaigns were as terrible as the appaling behaviour of their champions since.

I would suggest that anybody who went out and cast a vote in one of Britain's most important peace time referendums, on the basis of righting a perceived slight on their capacity for intelligent thought, didn't take the referendum seriously and didn't reflect nearly well enough on the consequences. The vote wasn't a glorified IQ test, it was never about how clever people felt, or their insecurities thereof, but given what was at stake and given how important the decision was, I can confidently say that anybody who did vote the way they did for the reason you mentioned, did not act intelligently. I can think of nothing more ironic and utterly self-defeating, than somebody doing something stupid, in order to get back at people who think they are.

The debt was being paid off, albeit very slowly, I don't believe they would have ultimately met their target of clearing the deficit by 2020, but that, believe it or not, is besides the point. The outcome of the referendum and the economic shock it has caused, has put it beyond reasonable doubt that it is now, not possible. The chancellor coming out publicly, with a statement that writes off one of his party's key manifesto pledges, is politically very significant, as were the statements made by Mark Carney concerning the country's immediate economic risks and future economic prospects, as are statements presented by other expert economists and financial institutions, because these are things that influence confidence and everybody should be listening to them and giving them serious consideration, that would be the intelligent thing to do. Making up silly reasons to dismiss them, because they are unpalatable, isn't intelligent.

I completely agree with you regarding peoples trust in figures such as Mark Carney mate. Unfortunately to quote Michael Gove 'People have had enough of experts'. People think they know better than experts who have spent their lives working within a domain. I don't know why the hell they keep the experts employed today if they thought so little of them during the referendum debate. Maybe people should try to fix the aftermath of Brexit without them? Bloody imbeciles...

And then there are those claiming we won't know whether it is worse or not until 5 years - complete nonsense. We can estimate how much growth we will lose over that period, coupled with what the losses due to Brexit are likely to be in/out of the single market. It is pretty much 100% certain that by 2020 we will be worse off as a country as a result - i.e. economically weaker. If we leave the single market, then the aftermath Friday was Christmas compared to the ****-show that is to come.

But hey, people think they know better than experts...

Associate
I was gonna get a EVGA SC 1070, started at 409.99, now its 459.99 lol. I think I'll pass for a 13% Increase. Its quite the shame, I'd rather buy from OC and support them but when its £50 cheaper other places, I'd rather not play charity.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was gonna get a EVGA SC 1070, started at 409.99, now its 459.99 lol. I think I'll pass for a 13% Increase. Its quite the shame, I'd rather buy from OC and support them but when its £50 cheaper other places, I'd rather not play charity.

Ask them to price match then? Not saying they will/can but if you don't ask you don't get....

Soldato
Looking at the new Titan is Scary. Who really drops 4 figures on a graphics card? Crazy!
I remember not long ago you could get the very best GPU's for £400. Long gone are those days now. It's just impossible to keep up. Silly silly money. Your dropping £400 now for a midrange card!

Associate
I was forced to buy elsewhere due to the silly price increases. Shame but every penny counts

Likewise... I have been watching this thread for a while.

IMO OCUK have undoubtedly been at the front of the price increases here in the UK. I absolutely get the Supply and demand statement made, and fully understand that OCUK are in the business of making money. But there is definitely a point at which I see a retailer in a negative light based on their actions.

I'll take my business to a retailer that is loyal (or at least reasonable in their actions) there are still a few out there!

Associate
Buy where you get the best value (however personally defined) for money, be it OCUK or elsewhere. It seems from Gibbo's posts that they flew through their earlier stock of NV/AMD cards and are pricing newer more costly to source stock higher, can't blame them or any customers who would rather by elsewhere.

Associate
Looking at the new Titan is Scary. Who really drops 4 figures on a graphics card? Crazy!
I remember not long ago you could get the very best GPU's for £400. Long gone are those days now. It's just impossible to keep up. Silly silly money. Your dropping £400 now for a midrange card!

People need to stop supporting it. I can drop £400 right now on a 1070 but I simply don't want to support the farse. £300 is my upper limit of what I'm prepared to pay.

Tldr I wish more people were like me, I'm amazing!

Associate
People need to stop supporting it. I can drop £400 right now on a 1070 but I simply don't want to support the farse. £300 is my upper limit of what I'm prepared to pay.

Tldr I wish more people were like me, I'm amazing!

I guess everyone pays up to how much they are comfortable paying and depending of what they want to get out of it. Sometimes the price isn't an issue especially if you go after really good quality stuff. If for example you want high quality VR, you're not going to buy a cheap GPU, you will buy whatever gives you a good result regardless of how much it costs. If all you do is 1080 then of course you won't want to pay crazy money.

Associate
Yeah I could benifit from a 1070 though. And it would be great. Money not a remote issue. Supporting the price is morally an issue for me. I don't want to see others with less cash get less. I don't want to be part of what I see as a bit of a **** take. I'd rather go without, and hope others would too. Of course if people do want to go for it then I'm happy for them. But I hope there's other people holding off for the greater good. (The greater good, the greater good)

Soldato
Fluctuations in stock and demand affect prices and I totally get that along with profit margins. To me even a 1070 @£400 is a bucket load of cash to spend out to get the performance I require @1440p. These 1080p monitor users must be in thier element because the amount of capable 1080p cards is amazing and sub £200 easy.

Man of Honour
I think its swings and roundabouts, I just ordered a 1070 Jetstream from here, it was £10 dearer than its nearest competitor, but with free delivery ended up being roughly the same price and I'd rather buy from here if thats the case.

And then I look today and the other retailers are now selling it for £10 more than here, probably pushing up their prices because they are down to their last 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom