• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Upgrade Time... is 12GB enough @ 1440p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude's having a meltdown about vram at 02:25 in the middle of the night. Bro, just sell the damned 3080 and get yourself a 6900XT? Would barely cost anything doing the "upgrade" :D

My prediction? Tommyboy gets another Nvidia card like the 4070 or something with 12GB next and continues the bitching. One could call him RedRollo :cry:

I'm amazed he hasn't bought a 3090 yet tbh :p

Forza is a new one to me btw, I wonder if that is from release day when there was a known issue with texture rendering on ALL hardware hence why there wasn't a big song and dance about it back at release time ;) I certainly have never seen anyone else posting about issues like this @ 1080p, seems local system issue again to me :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
That's wrong. Your card is obsolete and can't play games anymore /s

I also have the 3060ti FE, runs absolutely great on all those games that supposedly vram is not enough.
I’m getting 68-100 fps at High settings on TLOU and have noticed any jitters or crashes at all. Really impressed that my 3060ti is handling a 2023 game so well.

Before OCUK increased the price of the Sapphire 7900xt mba (£779 now £828) I was considering buying one this weekend for the extra 12gb vram buffer, but now I think I’ll just stick to what I have. Spider-Man and MW2 also play great on High and plus with RT on in Spider-Man.

Last edited:
If you plan to buy a 4070ti and 5070ti you'll end up spending the same had you just bought a 4090 yet you'll end up with less performance.

A 4070ti is 43% faster than a 3070ti but a 5070ti would need to be 67% faster than a 4070ti just to equal a 4090, can't see that happening especially with a smaller node jump next time from 5nm > 3nm.

High end 3000 series saw more depreciation because of cards like the 3080 at £650 offering within 12% the 3090 performance, this time however you got a 4080 at £1200 which sees a performance gap to the 4090 of 33%, almost a generational gap in itself.
No that’s a different rabbit hole.

If you start heading down the top end, why would you look at anything less when it comes to upgrade time.

He clearly doesn’t want the 4090 or doesn’t have that amount of money to play around with, hence why this thread is here.

What I find fascinating is that people with 3 year old mid range cards demand to play everything at ultra. Even optional DLC texture packs. It's just blows my mind. Maybe im too old, I remember back in the day I was happy if my 2 year old card could even boot a game at everything low.

What I find fascinating is that people with 3 year old mid range cards demand to play everything at ultra. Even optional DLC texture packs. It's just blows my mind. Maybe im too old, I remember back in the day I was happy if my 2 year old card could even boot a game at everything low.
Im happy at High tbh even that takes 8.4gb on my 8gb card at TLOU! But it just about works!

I will likely need a new card latest by 2025/2026

Last edited:
Dude's having a meltdown about vram at 02:25 in the middle of the night. Bro, just sell the damned 3080 and get yourself a 6900XT? Would barely cost anything doing the "upgrade" :D

My prediction? Tommyboy gets another Nvidia card like the 4070 or something with 12GB next and continues the bitching. One could call him RedRollo :cry:
Meltdown, nah son a meltdown is when you bring zero to a topic, and reply with nothing of tangible substance.

Last edited:
Get posting in here tommy:

:)

• Haha
So meltdown then :p

Question is, when are you upgrading to a 6900/6960 XT? :D

Funny how this whole argument has gone from cards wont play at techpress review settings as you can only play it like that and the whole VRAM thing was about. Now you can turn settings down.

FC6 2fps thing, was as we first thought a bug. Bet not even replicable any more. Game also has had a 5GB drop in recommended VRAM specs since the 16GB days. Silence - when confronted with the facts.

Funny how this whole argument has gone from cards wont play at techpress review settings as you can only play it like that and the whole VRAM thing was about. Now you can turn settings down.

FC6 2fps thing, was as we first thought a bug. Bet not even replicable any more. Game also has had a 5GB drop in recommended VRAM specs since the 16GB days. Silence - when confronted with the facts.
You've just moved the goalposts from crap launch performance to running games at tech press settings, making even more nonsense up.

Anyway, enjoy your 4090, hope it doesn't suffer an actual meltdown.

You've just moved the goalposts from **** launch performance to running games at tech press settings, making even more nonsense up.

Anyway, enjoy your 4090, hope it doesn't suffer an actual meltdown.

Eh? No wonder you struggled with what meltdown means.

Techpress settings at launch = launch performance. You know, ultra preset you use at the launch of the game - to get a performance metric.

The settings you used to show us what FC6 was doing - at launch. = launch performance.

So if your card running ultra preset (what reviewers use) and you get 2fps like in FC6 - then it must be the cards VRAM. So 10GB not enough thread, 2fps was the yardstick to state this is the way of games going fwd.. 2fps - must be VRAM <<This is the evidence and thinking you all showed us wannit?

So with the exact same settings - on FC6 today (not launch performance because it's way after the launch but can still use techpress settings (ultra preset) - would maybe be called optimized performance...........or did your 3080 grow some RAM and fixed the game?

So launch performance vs optimized performance, quite easy, but just in case, one comes after the other, in relation to time. Tech press settings is a common set of settings that reviewers use - usually ultra preset.

Futile to call things nonsence because you dont understand them. Some of us thought your FC6 debacle was nonsense - which in the end we were proved right. GAme got fixed pal.....like they all do on current game engines.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Eh? No wonder you struggled with what meltdown means.

Techpress settings at launch = launch performance. You know, ultra preset you use at the launch of the game - to get a performance metric.

The settings you used to show us what FC6 was doing - at launch. = launch performance.

So if your card running ultra preset (what reviewers use) and you get 2fps like in FC6 - then it must be the cards VRAM. So 10GB not enough thread, 2fps was the yardstick to state this is the way of games going fwd.. 2fps - must be VRAM <<This is the evidence and thinking you all showed us wannit?

So with the exact same settings - on FC6 today (not launch performance because it's way after the launch but can still use techpress settings (ultra preset) - would maybe be called optimized performance...........or did your 3080 grow some RAM and fixed the game?

So launch performance vs optimized performance, quite easy, but just in case, one comes after the other, in relation to time. Tech press settings is a common set of settings that reviewers use - usually ultra preset.

Futile to call things nonsence because you dont understand them. Some of us thought your FC6 debacle was nonsense - which in the end we were proved right. GAme got fixed pal.....like they all do on current game engines.
Meltdown FFS, been watching meltdowns since yesterdays game mate.:p

Proofs shown on different GPUs and different games.

Don't care.

No that’s a different rabbit hole.

If you start heading down the top end, why would you look at anything less when it comes to upgrade time.

He clearly doesn’t want the 4090 or doesn’t have that amount of money to play around with, hence why this thread is here.
Personally I think buying a 4090 and skipping next gen will get you more performance in the long run than spending £800 on a 4070ti this gen and £800 on a 5070ti next gen which almost certainly wont be 67% faster.

Besides if money is an issue and he wants value then he shouldn't consider the 4070ti anyway.

The whole vram requirement is BS. A plague tail requiem looks much better than TLOU or Forswoken and it fills up 6gb of vram on ultra 4k. Developers are just lazy, as demonstrated by the MLID interview with a "developer".
You might want to look at hardware unboxed vid about vram.

NVIDIA-RTX4070-PERF-CLAIM-2.jpg

Last edited:
You might want to look at hardware unboxed vid about vram.

If only before that vid released, an Ocuk user posted similar in this very thread educating what happens running out of vram at ultra settings and below......:o

I'll idiot proof the proof this time to negate the 'there's no proof' excuses:

Here's my 3070,58003D/32Gb@1080p, yes 1080p on Forza, been out years now:
forza_1.jpg

forza_2.jpg

forza_3.jpg

It doesn't slideshow, it'll flush textures, that is the fallback in that engine.

shot_20230329_003500.jpg

shot_20230329_003707.jpg

Will flushed textures like these be fixed in a patch when they do/don't optimise textures when you go past the vram limit like this in tlou, doubt it as I can't see them fitting those textures into that allocation.

Myself and many, many forum 3070/80 users here have all been repeating over and over again that 8 and 10Gb IS choking the gpus outwith FC6, so why's it impossible newer games can't break 8/10Gb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom