Greece - 6 day working week

Soldato

Because people are emigrating and we're in trouble.. (correct) we are going to introduce a 6 day working week for private companies as an option for the company. (incorrect solution).

Expect this to backfire!

In rhodes, the hotel staff were saying they get one day off a month during the season, then no work for the remainder of the year!

Shops open dawn till dusk.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd take the pay cut to work 4 days if I could.
Or even 4 long days. Just waste the evening anyway most of the time

Every company has to offer flexible working and they have to have a very strong business reason to reject it. Have a chat with your line manager. That's what I did and while I didn't expect it would be rejected it was also a lot smoother then I thought it was gonna be. Chat with my LM, then with our local director, email to HR and all sorted in couple of weeks.

As I said earlier, on average I only do 1.5hrs less per week and I'm a lot happier. Not gonna lie sometimes the short week gets stressful but it's worth it overall.

Associate
Every company has to offer flexible working and they have to have a very strong business reason to reject it. Have a chat with your line manager. That's what I did and while I didn't expect it would be rejected it was also a lot smoother then I thought it was gonna be. Chat with my LM, then with our local director, email to HR and all sorted in couple of weeks.

As I said earlier, on average I only do 1.5hrs less per week and I'm a lot happier. Not gonna lie sometimes the short week gets stressful but it's worth it overall.
It says the company only has to have a good business reason to refuse a request, not a very strong reason.

"An employer can refuse an application if they have a good business reason for doing so."

Soldato

Can you afford the cut to your pension by dropping your salary by 20% and the further effective pay cut by upping your AVCs to compensate?

As has been mentioned your company has to offer flexible working, and if they turn you down it has to be for a genuine reason. Once you've got their reasoning then you are further able to discuss this and potentially come to a workable solution.

I work 'compressed hours' so do 10 days of work in 9, and get every other Friday off. No change to salary or pension, and if my Fridays fall on a statuary holiday it's added to my normal allocation. I've lost 3.5days holiday but gained 26.

Soldato
It says the company only has to have a good business reason to refuse a request, not a very strong reason.

"An employer can refuse an application if they have a good business reason for doing so."

I can't imagine many companies refusing the application, especially if you condense your hours or still work near enough the same hours (my case). if you say you only want to go down to 1 day a week then sure it will be a lot easier for them to refuse.
The employer must tell the employee that they’ve refused the application.

Before refusing it, they must have discussed the employee’s request with them.

Reasons for refusing​

Employers can refuse an application for any of the following reasons:

• extra costs that will damage the business
  • the work cannot be reorganised among other staff
  • people cannot be recruited to do the work
  • flexible working will affect quality
  • flexible working will affect performance
  • the business will not be able to meet customer demand
  • there’s a lack of work to do during the proposed working times
  • the business is planning changes to the workforce

Caporegime
I am surprised more companies do not ditch the Monday to Friday and increase work hours but have more days off. Since 2016 I have worked 12 hour shifts but only work 7 days in 14. With holidays you are working less than half the year whilst still doing 40 hours a week.

Reduces commuting costs and if more people did it the roads would be less clogged. I also get to take my kids to school which would never happen on Monday to Friday and also gives me 6 hours to do what I want.

I am sure companies that do not need to operate 7 days a week you could even do 3 days of 12 hours taking you to 36 hours.

Associate
I can't imagine many companies refusing the application, especially if you condense your hours or still work near enough the same hours (my case). if you say you only want to go down to 1 day a week then sure it will be a lot easier for them to refuse.
They can easily give a token justification for any of those reasons.
I think it's pretty clear in most companies whether that kind of request would be frowned upon culturally or not. If it would be frowned upon and you want to progress in the company, it would be suicide to push for it. If you are happy with your position as is and just want to coast, have at it!

Soldato
Most people go home and sit on the sofa like a vegetable half the evening or sit on a forum complaining about cossie lives or house prices, life would be much easier if they just put a few extra hours in.

Lot of people in this thread who spend 10 hours a week on this forum complaining about stuff including work life balance :)

Soldato
Doing a physical job six shifts a week is brutal, I don't know how some of my old postie colleagues managed it, doing an extra day almost every week.

Three shifts per week were bad enough as I got older and it got harder to head out for approx 3 hour rides on days off (especially on first day off after a shift day and after shifts), before long covid came along.

Soldato
This is what I did, wanted a better work life balance, fortunately I'm at the stage in life where I can afford it and time is more important than money for me

Soldato
I do four, 10 hour days
"feels" better than 5 days as I can get home relax watching a movie and go to bed and enjoy the extra day off during the week.

Likely getting made redundant at the end of the month though....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom