Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [12th - 15th August 2022]

Caporegime
He will struggle bid time against the more physical sides who play it long. Also its not like he has someone next to him who is half decent either.

Not sure how Ajax played but he looks more suited to a 3 CB system.

People are just trying to look for some explanation to just how poor we are and the hook has stuck with a 5ft9 CB.

The reality is it is just a huge mess that goes so deep it needs an entire reset and new owners probably would be a good thing to initiate that. If you really want to blame two people it would be Fergie and Gill retiring at the same time with no real plan for succession.

Soldato
He is right though it doesn't matter if someone has messed up. You do not let them take the fall. You were the one on watch so take the fall for it. That is how a leader works.
This. You take the ****.

Then he knows that his leader has his back, even if he messes up. He'll work harder to stop it happening again. The rest of the team see it. They work harder too. They feel like they belong. That's how you build a team.

If you hang him out to dry, you damage his morale, he doesn't feel like anyone is sticking up for him, the team sees him hung out to dry and see there's no team spirit, so behave more as individuals. It's a downward spiral of team spirit, motivation, and performance.

Any teams you can think of that are going through this?

Soldato
Everyone knows maquire isn't a captain, if ten hag hasn't given the arm band to someone else that's on him, he's had a whole preseason to judge who the best candidate is

Don
The issue with the Glazers has nothing to do with investment. What Utd have spent is far in excess of almost every club in world football and several of these clubs have managed to build a competitive team as well as improve their infrastructure. The issue with the Glazers is that they've failed to hire somebody with an ounce of competence to run the football side of the club. For the past 9 years Utd have been rudderless, with no long term plan of where they're going and how they're going to get there.
Everyone knows maquire isn't a captain
And this is the real issue. All this chat about Maguire shouldn't have let De Gea do the interview is irrelevant because Maguire does not have the respect of the dressing room to make those decisions. It's been highlighted more recently with his downturn in form & Ronaldo's arrival but I can remember when we had games behind closed doors and hearing his teammates literally telling him to shut the **** up.

Soldato
The issue with the Glazers has nothing to do with investment. What Utd have spent is far in excess of almost every club in world football and several of these clubs have managed to build a competitive team as well as improve their infrastructure. The issue with the Glazers is that they've failed to hire somebody with an ounce of competence to run the football side of the club. For the past 9 years Utd have been rudderless, with no long term plan of where they're going and how they're going to get there.

And this is the real issue. All this chat about Maguire shouldn't have let De Gea do the interview is irrelevant because Maguire does not have the respect of the dressing room to make those decisions. It's been highlighted more recently with his downturn in form & Ronaldo's arrival but I can remember when we had games behind closed doors and hearing his teammates literally telling him to shut the **** up.

Literally wow. I have never heard of that before, imagine United players telling Keane to stfu when he was captain. would have never happened.

Caporegime
I think that happened once (and I can't remember who it was) Emotions run high, players shout at each other. Lindelof and Bruno clashed once too. It's a nothing story and only makes headlines because it's United.

Also James, Keane clashed with players, most notably Teddy Sheringham.

Soldato
I would agree if there was a better option, but there isn't really right now. Who else are we going to give it to?

I dont think Eriksen would be a bad shout at the moment. Maybe even De Gea, not many there command more respect then the guy who has been there for donkeys years.

It really is an "anyone but Maguire" type situation imo.

Caporegime
Ronaldo :D

Seriously maybe ddg, at least he looks like he cares - I don't think he'll be your keeper come the end of the season though.

DDG is pretty much the only other option other than a weird outsider like Shaw. Most managers don't seem to be too keen on having GK's as captains and Dave is a pretty introverted guy.

Soldato
DDG is pretty much the only other option other than a weird outsider like Shaw. Most managers don't seem to be too keen on having GK's as captains and Dave is a pretty introverted guy.
He seems to have the players respect though, to be fair I don't think I can ever remember a man u team with so many players that shirk responsibility. It's the complete opposite of Ferguson's many teams.

Caporegime
And you need a strong manager to take that captaincy off him. It's early but i dont think United have that with ETH.

I am afraid you are right. He seems to have a good footballing brain but doesn't have the ruthlessness of Klopp, Fergie and Guardiola.

I would personally have Ronaldo as Captain and then give it to Bruno when he leaves.

Back
Top Bottom