Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [5th - 7th Dec 2020]

Don
A very very good performance tonight. Wolves are a very awkward team to face and when Williams got booked earlier I was a little bit worried that Wolves wide men would target him but we never gave them the oppotunity to do. Everybody played well but the midfield were outstanding for me - they gave us the control we've not had enough of this season which made everything else so much easier. Wijnaldum motm - the guy is a machine, playing nearly every minute of every game, rarely puting a foot wrong and popping up with a great goal.

With the exception of Adrian, Origi, Minamino and the Greek lad, I don't want any senior players near the line up on Tuesday.

Soldato
Gini should look at what has happened to Emre Can - bought by Juve for big money with a huge release clause and now out on loan at Borussia. Not the same class as Liverpool. I hope Gini stays.

It's harsh to compare them imo. Can in my opinion was a young lad mis led by an agent. Gini is a genuine world class player who simply wants to be paid.

Don
Gini should look at what has happened to Emre Can - bought by Juve for big money with a huge release clause and now out on loan at Borussia. Not the same class as Liverpool. I hope Gini stays.
It's tricky. The guy is on the same contract since he signed from Newcastle - it wouldn't shock me if he's earning as little as £60k per week with our other senior midfielders earning at least double, if not more. It's his last chance to get a big contract and you can't argue that he doesn't deserve it but equally it's difficult for the club to justify giving him a 4+ year big money deal when he's just turned 30.

Caporegime
Milner's going to be 35 by the time the season ends so unless Gini wants first team football for those 4 years, I can't see why the club won't give him that contract because he'll get the game time.

I'm hoping Koeman gets sacked before the window opens and they employ someone who isn't Dutch and doesn't want him, make it an easier decision for him.

Soldato
I also don't see why we can't give Gini a contract, guy is playing every week, rarely has injuries and very consistent performer

I doubt it's just money anyway Gini may want a different challenge or experience another league in general as well I suppose

Don
They'll offer him a contract, they just won't offer him a 4 year deal worth £150k+ per week which he's no doubt after. I hope a compromise will be reached but it's not straight forward - paying Wijnaldum £150k while he's still producing as he is, is completely different to paying him £150k for 2 seasons when he's past his best and or not playing regularly.

Soldato
They'll offer him a contract, they just won't offer him a 4 year deal worth £150k+ per week which he's no doubt after. I hope a compromise will be reached but it's not straight forward - paying Wijnaldum £150k while he's still producing as he is, is completely different to paying him £150k for 2 seasons when he's past his best and or not playing regularly.

He's been worth more than he was being paid then so giving him a four-year deal on £150K is just back pay IMO. How much were his two goals against Barca worth?

Soldato

You say it like its a given he will suddenly nose dive just because he is over 30, We have taken Lallana off the books, Lovren etc that will of freed up some money, If Gini is still below 100k per week considering all he has done either give him the higher wage or sign him with some sort of bonus as he has more than earnt it.

This is all on the assumption wage is the problem, I'm not convinced it is, i think he does just want a different challenge. I think if that ends up being Barca he will regret it anyway, they need an over haul and Koeman maybe there not which would be a pull for him but doubt he will be there long

Don
He's been worth more than he was being paid then so giving him a four-year deal on £150K is just back pay IMO. How much were his two goals against Barca worth?
That's a lovely idea but for every Wijnaldum you'll have another player who's ended up being paid more than they were worth. I'm pretty sure when Ox renewed his contract he didn't tell the club to deduct £x from the new deal to cover the months he was out injured in the previous 2 seasons. Football is a business and just doesn't work like that.

Furthermore, he's been in on/off contract negotiations for the past 18 months - had an agreement been reached he'd have been earning more throughout that time, the reason why he hasn't is as much down to him as the club.
You say it like its a given he will suddenly nose dive just because he is over 30, We have taken Lallana off the books, Lovren etc that will of freed up some money, If Gini is still below 100k per week considering all he has done either give him the higher wage or sign him with some sort of bonus as he has more than earnt it.

This is all on the assumption wage is the problem, I'm not convinced it is, i think he does just want a different challenge. I think if that ends up being Barca he will regret it anyway, they need an over haul and Koeman maybe there not which would be a pull for him but doubt he will be there long
I didn't say he'll suddenly nose dive now he's 30 but how many players at 33-34 will be playing to the same level as they are when they're 30? Very very few I'd say, if any at all. Wijnaldum will not be as important to the side and playing as regularly as he is now in 2-3 years time, that's an absolute given. Paying Wijnaldum £150k over the next 2 years is fine, committing to paying him it for another 2 years after that is a huge gamble, a gamble the club won't want to take. I don't think they will but I hope a compromise is reached - something like a 3 year deal with an option of a 4th if he's played x amount of games in his 3 season.

I don't understand your point about Lallana and Lovren leaving - the club aren't going to pay x more just because they've saived money on y, they'll only pay it if they think they're getting value. And what we saved on them will barely cover Thiago's wages.

Don
Scholes was as important to the Utd side and playing as regularly until he was 38? :confused: Scholes averaged 20 League appearances per season in his last 5 seasons at Utd compared to 30 appearances per season in the 9 seasons prior to that. I'd also question whether he was performing nearly as well in those final seasons as he was in his peak seasons but just looking at the appearances, Utd were getting 50% more from him in his prime than they got at the end of his career. That's not a criticism of Scholes, it's just a reality of football. As players get older they can't perform to a high level as often as they did before.

We handed Milner a 2 year deal that will take him to 36 years old and while he's still an important member of the squad, he's used more sparingly than before and I've no doubt his contract reflects that.

Back
Top Bottom