Greta Thunberg

Soldato
I watched a docu that said the stream is moving regardless of global warming seemed pretty convincing...

if the poles flip they will blame global warming too, if the moon pulls stronger on the tides, global warming.

just the leap to answer for all our problems these days
It's moved many times in the past on a cyclical basis. It's one of the drivers of the ice ages and Northern Africa had been flip flopping between desert and lush wet lands over the last few million years. Pretty sure we didn't have much to with that.

Soldato
Nah mate, natural cycles innit :rolleyes:

I was teaching climate change in Geography 10 years ago and all the information was clear to see. It’s deeply frustrating here we are a decade later, climate change staring us in the face, and people still saying it’s nonsense..

Aye climate change deniers out in full force it seems.

Soldato
Has it occurred to you that how ever halt nature's ebb and flow it's not going to stop it. The arrogance of man is outstanding.

The point being made is that this isn't the natural cycle, which tends to happen gradually over thousands if not tens of thousands of years, the change that we are experiencing now is happening on a much shorter timeframe, like hundreds if not tens of years now.

It's odd you think we can't affect the climate, we can see that atmospheric CO2 has risen rapidly since the start of the industrial revolution and correlates with our use of fossil fuels.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, our current concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide “are unprecedented compared with the past 800,000 years.” Indeed, the atmosphere’s share of carbon dioxide—the planet’s chief climate change contributor—has risen by 46 percent since preindustrial times.

So we have seen a rapid change that is unprecedented in the last 800,000 years and it started when we started burning fossil fuels and has increased with our increased usage. You have to be pretty much head in sand at this point to think we aren't the major driver of this, over and above the natural cycles that happen anyway.

Caporegime
We can quite literally start an ice age and cause an immediate extinction level event merely by the press of a few buttons, I don't think it's arrogant to think that over a longer period we could increase our biosphere's temperature slowly to the point that we start creating feedback loops we can't revert so easily.

Soldato
The point being made is that this isn't the natural cycle, which tends to happen gradually over thousands if not tens of thousands of years, the change that we are experiencing now is happening on a much shorter timeframe, like hundreds if not tens of years now.

It's odd you think we can't affect the climate, we can see that atmospheric CO2 has risen rapidly since the start of the industrial revolution and correlates with our use of fossil fuels.

So we have seen a rapid change that is unprecedented in the last 800,000 years and it started when we started burning fossil fuels and has increased with our increased usage. You have to be pretty much head in sand at this point to think we aren't the major driver of this, over and above the natural cycles that happen anyway.
I'm not disagreeing, just saying we must consider we are only slowing the enivitable the effort should go into learning how to adapt/leave not just p***Ing into the wind

Permabanned
Global warming is natural that's why the ice age happened, its very alarmist and fashionable to say climate change is a man made thing.

There is no natural global warming that happens in 130 years only lol and dramatically changes the weather and climate patterns.

"According to NOAA's 2020 Annual Climate Report the combined land and ocean temperature has increased at an average rate of 0.13 degrees Fahrenheit ( 0.08 degrees Celsius) per decade since 1880; however, the average rate of increase since 1981 (0.18°C / 0.32°F) has been more than twice that rate."

Climate Change: Global Temperature | NOAA Climate.gov
https://postimages.org/
The CO2 emissions are skyrocketing, and it is getting hotter by the day.

Earth's CO2 Home Page

Man of Honour
Greta and her gang harp on about it and share all over social media, but when it comes down to it they still travel across the globe and consume a multitude of products that generate vast quantities of CO2. Ultimately the globe is overpopulated and is consumed by a desire for perpetual growth. No one will cure the problem until the technology to do so becomes economically viable. For the most part I’m sure we’ll just react to the problems that emerge, on a government standpoint even the loss of the odd town is inconsequential versus perpetual growth. It’s wrong of course, but it’ll make no difference in my lifetime and it would seem that’s the standpoint that governments take too.

Permabanned
Greta and her gang harp on about it and share all over social media, but when it comes down to it they still travel across the globe and consume a multitude of products that generate vast quantities of CO2. Ultimately the globe is overpopulated and is consumed by a desire for perpetual growth. No one will cure the problem until the technology to do so becomes economically viable. For the most part I’m sure we’ll just react to the problems that emerge, on a government standpoint even the loss of the odd town is inconsequential versus perpetual growth. It’s wrong of course, but it’ll make no difference in my lifetime and it would seem that’s the standpoint that governments take too.

Lol, we can compensate by planting trees. Is there at least one government that takes the planting of trees seriously? :D

"When trees are planted and begin to grow, they start absorbing carbon dioxide emissions, which they then store and carry out photosynthesis with. ... One tree can mature and consume 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year to allow a human to breathe for two years."

Tree Planting and Negative Emissions — PSCI (princeton.edu)

Greta doesn't help for one thing. Doesn't oppose the global pandemics conspiracy and the lie that the face masks help.
It is like saying that the panties stop the farting gases. Which is not possible..

Soldato
There is no natural global warming that happens in 130 years only lol and dramatically changes the weather and climate patterns.

"According to NOAA's 2020 Annual Climate Report the combined land and ocean temperature has increased at an average rate of 0.13 degrees Fahrenheit ( 0.08 degrees Celsius) per decade since 1880; however, the average rate of increase since 1981 (0.18°C / 0.32°F) has been more than twice that rate."

Earth's CO2 Home Page

Human history and modern human history is an insignificant blip in the history of the planet. the planet has survived before and it will survive again. When people talk about saving the planet what they actually mean is saving the human race, ask yourself does it deserve to be saved? The planet will be fine, we might not be.

Little graphs showing a 50-year span make me laugh, its not even 1 human lifetime.

Permabanned
Human history and modern human history is an insignificant blip in the history of the planet. the planet has survived before and it will survive again. When people talk about saving the planet what they actually mean is saving the human race, ask yourself does it deserve to be saved? The planet will be fine, we might not be.

Many people who support Greta, me included, want to live in a normal world.
Do you want? :D

Permabanned
The only way an equitable situation will return is if the global population is reduced by about two thirds

It has been repeated multiple times that the Planet can sustain 10 or even more billion people :D

Earth's capacity

Many scientists think Earth has a maximum carrying capacity of 9 billion to 10 billion people.
One such scientist, the eminent Harvard University sociobiologist Edward O. Wilson, bases his estimate on calculations of the Earth's available resources. As Wilson pointed out in his book "The Future of Life" (Knopf, 2002), "The constraints of the biosphere are fixed."
How many people can Earth support? | Live Science

Don't worry, there is no need to kill anyone :D

Permabanned
I can probably squeeze 100 people in my house but the situation would be hellish, even ultra short term, there is a desire from most reasonable people for quality of life, not quantity ;)

Edward O Wilson can go do one, how many people has he got under HIS roof? ;)

Permabanned
I can probably squeeze 100 people in my house but the situation would be hellish

One of the mistakes of our governments is that they build overpopulated capital cities and allow them to develop beyond their design capacity.
Earth has enough space for everyone, simply not in this stupid order :D

There is enough for everyone's need, but there isn't enough for everyone's greed :D

Permabanned
One of the mistakes of our governments is that they build overpopulated capital cities and allow them to develop beyond their design capacity.
Earth has enough space for everyone, simply not in this stupid order :D

There is enough for everyone's need, but there isn't enough for everyone's greed :D

This `ere computer of yours, in your sig, that sounds a bit of a power hungry beast, how many trees did you plant when you built that? ;)

Soldato
Many people who support Greta, me included, want to live in a normal world.
Do you want? :D

My time here is short, I am of no consequence but I want my children to grow up in a world that is fair and just.
Saving the human race is a fine idea, the planet will look after it's self.

Back
Top Bottom