Greta Thunberg

Soldato
One of the mistakes of our governments is that they build overpopulated capital cities and allow them to develop beyond their design capacity.
Earth has enough space for everyone, simply not in this stupid order :D

There is enough for everyone's need, but there isn't enough for everyone's greed :D

Makes you wonder why they all want to sail across the English channel to get here

V F

V F

Soldato
My time here is short, I am of no consequence but I want my children to grow up in a world that is fair and just.
Saving the human race is a fine idea, the planet will look after it's self.

At what point in time was the world fair and just? If ever.

Caporegime
The effect we have is 0.00001%, climate change is a normal occurrence.

And your evidence for this is what? And where is the evidence for a massive global conspiracy that has been going on for 50 years with no country or organisation accidentally leaking this conspiracy?

Soldato
I'm not disagreeing, just saying we must consider we are only slowing the enivitable the effort should go into learning how to adapt/leave not just p***Ing into the wind

TBH, I'm not very optimistic that we'll tackle it in time, it's just too large a problem and I agree with you that the measures we're taking and the speed of progress is pretty inneffectual in the face of what's needed but imo that's down to the sheer size and momentum of the way the world functions and there's not enough political, economical or societal/individual will to do the drastic things required to be meaningful.

Soldato
TBH, I'm not very optimistic that we'll tackle it in time

I've not seen how much time covid's associated reduction in flying/travel has bought us - now relapsing though.

Makes you wonder why they all want to sail across the English channel to get here
... and the people who incongruously want to fly out at first occassion

Caporegime
The effect we have is 0.00001%, climate change is a normal occurrence.

So if we dropped 10000 nukes on all of our cities, would the effect we have still be 0.00001%?

Why is it so strange to some that 7 billion people might have more than a marginal effect on their environment?

Soldato
So if we dropped 10000 nukes on all of our cities, would the effect we have still be 0.00001%?

Why is it so strange to some that 7 billion people might have more than a marginal effect on their environment?
1 volcano will spew out more than any big city. there are 1000's of then under water.

Caporegime
1 volcano will spew out more than any big city. there are 1000's of then under water.

Whilst a volcano could do that given sufficient power (thankfully rare) which we'd have little control over, I just wanted to highlight that nearly 200 years of spewing particulate matter into the atmosphere to the point that we do so in the tens of billions of tonnes yearly now was eventually going to have an effect.

Nature still has processes which can spew out more than that, but we increasingly risk running into them if we keep this up and being left without much ability to suppress it without potentially disastrous measures (stratospheric geoengineering) being used.

We're already experiencing the first migrations due to poor harvests and water scarcity in some regions, it will destabilise everyone if we ignore it.

Permabanned
Whilst a volcano could do that given sufficient power (thankfully rare) which we'd have little control over, I just wanted to highlight that nearly 200 years of spewing particulate matter into the atmosphere to the point that we do so in the tens of billions of tonnes yearly now was eventually going to have an effect.

Nature still has processes which can spew out more than that, but we increasingly risk running into them if we keep this up and being left without much ability to suppress it without potentially disastrous measures (stratospheric geoengineering) being used.

We're already experiencing the first migrations due to poor harvests and water scarcity in some regions, it will destabilise everyone if we ignore it.

Stop them migrating here and let them achieve a birth / resource balance is the obvious answer unless you want to be swamped and overwhelmed, but morally superior as you catch rats to eat and rainwater to drink, whilst living in ghettos.

Soldato

Overall, 46 volcanoes were in continuing eruption status as of 9 December 2021. An eruption marked as "continuing" does not always mean persistent daily activity, but indicates at least intermittent eruptive events without a break of 3 months or more. Detailed statistics are not kept on daily activity, but generally there are around 20 volcanoes actively erupting on any particular day; this is a subset of the normal 40-50 with continuing eruptions. Additional eruption data is available for recent years

https://volcano.si.edu/gvp_currenteruptions.cfm

Soldato

People don't, governments and industries do, yet the people have to take responsibility for all these extremely wealthy companies.

Sick of being blamed for this *********.

Soldato
People don't, governments and industries do, yet the people have to take responsibility for all these extremely wealthy companies.

Sick of being blamed for this *********.

Absolutely. And yet I'm not unwilling to do something, I just don't see the point when any effort I make is un-done 100,000 times over by some wealthy billionaire's need to fly their private jet yet again so they can visit that one particular dog groomer's that they like. If the big businesses and individuals were leading the charge and appearing to do more or make any sacrifices at all I would happily follow suit and do what I can as well

Permabanned
there is nothing to do .. the earth is a self regulating body .. temps over 100 yrs means nothing look at 5k yrs .. when greedy men want to make money they will tell you anything .. and provide the data to do it .
the earth itself is cooling as we can tell from the jet stream .. if it was getting hotter the jet stream would rise and stay put ,but no it's falling .. the easiest way to cool a planet .. is a: have the sun go into a cooler period ,this is happening ..
b:have the planets heat exchange shut down .. even though it's being replace fresh water melt at the poles (especially the north) is happening .. when not if the Beaufort Gyre lets go the gulf stream will shut down ..
it's strange to think all this information is out there but no one believes it as there focused on a day event or a once in 30 yrs ? it's been hotter and cooler roman, Minoan even the middle ages where hotter and no cars planes or trains ?
long term very long we have glacial and interglacial events we are coming to the end of ours so think it's all happened before and will do again ..you can look at data 5 different ways and get 5 different answers ..

Soldato
I think you can ascribe to the above but still accept that we are having some effect which might be worth thinking about.

Okay so there is some natural variability to the climate and it has in the past been hot/hotter than it is now. But who is to say how close to potential disaster the system naturally allows itself to go? If it's at all close then the little push that we might be giving it could be taking it just beyond what it can cope with (without some kind of much more extreme reaction happening)

Permabanned
I think you can ascribe to the above but still accept that we are having some effect which might be worth thinking about.

Okay so there is some natural variability to the climate and it has in the past been hot/hotter than it is now. But who is to say how close to potential disaster the system naturally allows itself to go? If it's at all close then the little push that we might be giving it could be taking it just beyond what it can cope with (without some kind of much more extreme reaction happening)
well no it will be and always has been the sun .. or the planet .. 1 volcanic eruption can lower the temp by 1-3c and the sun doing it's max thru the 70's and 80's is where we are at now but on the cooling side .. we are just not that important to what's going on .. if it can get hotter when there are less people and no engines and it's less hot this time thru the sun maximum ..are we doing anything ? if your told it's your fault then you will believe it is ..

Soldato
Are we doing anything? Yes, absolutely. The only thing influencing it? Almost certainly not. One of the main things influencing it? Also no, probably not. But it's not inconceivable that it could make a difference that gets amplified into something bad

Back
Top Bottom