grievance raised against me in work

Soldato
Are you part of a union? If so they wont be able to help because of the Tory union bills.

Joking aside if you are part of a union get them in.

I wouldn't have said a thing tbh and said if there is an issue i want it in the presence of HR where it can be recorded and I want the circumstances. I am quite sure under the ERA96 they have to tell you the basics of the complaint/grievance eg the grievance is specifically X.

I'm no lawyer (thank god) but I would bet my bottom dollar negativity I not an enforceable grievance.

In my experience, Union help was completely pointless - when I had my first bogus grievance, the Unite guy told me "just do what they ask...". I had joined as my manager had told me to stop asking questions, and just accept it. And HR... they ignored my emails for help on the matter; it left no one, hence me joining Unite.

After my first call to ACAS, I received more help and information than x months membership with Unite.

Just my experience of course.

Caporegime
Probably would have been better to ask before you took the meeting

Are you part of a union? If so, speak to them regards representation etc. EDIT: Saw your last post, unsure, best to speak to them...

How were you informed of the meeting? Who was at the meeting with you? Did you ask to have a witness present? Get a copy of the minutes and double check its completely correct ASAP...

Agree with the people saying to speak to ACAS - very useful when Ive had to speak to them

ps3ud0 :cool:

Man of Honour
One of our ********** accused two members of posting stuff out and they didn't realise that Word shows who last modified & printed the letter :D
I accidentally showed the other two late on Friday when that person wasn't there so it should be fun tomorrow.

Make sure you get a copy of the minutes taken.

If it's done properly the OP should have to sign the minutes to say they're an accurate representation of the details conveyed in the meeting.

The next meeting should be something along the lines of OP attending with a representative to take minutes on his behalf and for him to have someone there to recall events.

In that meeting the accusations will be recalled to the OP, citing how they infringe on company policy with evidence to substantiate the claims. A defence or explanation can then be returned to the manager conducting.

Meeting will adjourn, decision made behind closed doors then a follow up meeting to explain how the situation will be handled. This meeting doesn't have a representative for the OP, as it should all be documented ahead of time ready for the OP to sign if agreed to. If OP doesn't then it goes to mediation/arbitration, basically a tribunal.

Caporegime
Just to be the ever optimist how many people have gone through one of these, had no further accusations against them and then happily carried on working for the company no more issues?

Isn't this just one of the ways they intimidate people to leave, and when they do it makes them look guilty anyway.

In my experience, Union help was completely pointless - when I had my first bogus grievance, the Unite guy told me "just do what they ask...". I had joined as my manager had told me to stop asking questions, and just accept it. And HR... they ignored my emails for help on the matter; it left no one, hence me joining Unite.

Yup, sadly HR depts don't work in the employee's interest, only in the company's interest.

Soldato
I just joined a union a few mins ago but would this be valid as the grievance was raised before me joining a union?

Not usually. If you call and speak they may dependent on their policies.

After my first call to ACAS, I received more help and information than x months membership with Unite.

That's a bad union rep. The one I was familiar with: AD said one sentence and never got another word in. Had to drop matter in its entirety. Depends who you are with and the competency and the nature of the matter.

Man of Honour
just over 2 years.

Unless you have done something that equates to gross misconduct you are not easy to bin, well not that easy now they are on this route so I wouldn't worry about getting fired, unless you're a contractor. You may get a warning but ensure you document everything and when you are clear on their issue seek legal advice rather than internet advice. It may simply be a company going through a process they need to go through to investigate, could be nothing, but could also be an issue that will need to follow a process.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I just joined a union a few mins ago but would this be valid as the grievance was raised before me joining a union?

Generally unions, in common with other insurance providers, don't represent anyone for issues that happened PRIOR to the person joining - I certainly didn't/wouldn't when I was a rep.

There were exceptions ofc - like when a mass redundancy was to occur, we'd recruit new members (it's amazing what a mass redundancy does for improving union membership!) and represent them as a block, but generally for individual cases - no.

Caporegime

Unite are hilariously ****.

Most people just becime reps as they get days off for college

Caporegime
Generally unions, in common with other insurance providers, don't represent anyone for issues that happened PRIOR to the person joining - I certainly didn't/wouldn't when I was a rep.

There were exceptions ofc - like when a mass redundancy was to occur, we'd recruit new members (it's amazing what a mass redundancy does for improving union membership!) and represent them as a block, but generally for individual cases - no.

Dont most unions tent to do w freebie for your first use if youre not a member

Soldato
'Have you ever been negative' With regards to what? Life in general or the company? Even if you had everyone has bad days that's just ridiculous. If you were a constant moaner they'd just let you go anyway, no need for a grievance surely.

'Have you ever used obscene language?' What, like nobody ever swears at all. Again, if it was that common it would have become an issue already not 2 years down the line.

I feel for you OP, this just sounds petty. If its got to 8.10am and someone hasn't been called a thunder**** where I work something has gone wrong. And everybody has bad days and a moan, hope this turns out ok for you. Just reading the opening paragraph has got me wound up over the pettiness.

Soldato
I'm no lawyer (thank god) but I would bet my bottom dollar negativity I not an enforceable grievance.

Isn't this just one of the ways they intimidate people to leave, and when they do it makes them look guilty anyway.

Yup, sadly HR depts don't work in the employee's interest, only in the company's interest.

Just to bring in some balance to this thread, if an individual has raised a grievance the company has a duty to investigate it. You never know, the OP may well have done something wrong here. These rules are intended to protect both parties. Companies NOT investigating these things is just a breeding ground for bullying and other unsavoury working practices.

To the OP, if you haven't done anything memorably wrong I wouldn't worry for now. Most grievances tend to be minor and can be dealt with informally in the first instance.

Caporegime
SexyGreyFox [Deceased];29824168 said:
I was a Rep for 20 years and never went to College once.
I also had to do my Repping in my own time.

should be one in our place.

last weekw as the firsty week of the year our rep had to do a ful lweek :p

Soldato
Id have totally made out you have absolutely no clue what they're on about..they then wouldn't be able to prove a thing and let you on your way.

Regardless of whether you did actually do anything,just acknowledging you did something could be enough to say goodbye to your job.

Back
Top Bottom