GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
Well the good news is, it's only a small number of early 2012/2013 cars that are affected. The bad news is, mine's one of them.

But, every cloud has a silver lining. It was due for the 60k spark plug service next week. I've agreed with the dealer that I'll just have a normal full service and then when the recall procedure work is finalised and starts in December/Jan that I can have the spark plugs then to save on labour charges. :)

How did you get informed of yours being affected?

Ran mine through the Toyota website which says I have a voluntary recall but doesn't clarify what for.

Soldato
How did you get informed of yours being affected?

Ran mine through the Toyota website which says I have a voluntary recall but doesn't clarify what for.

Mine says this...

We have identified that your Toyota is subject to a voluntary customer service campaign or outstanding safety recall.

Gonna call the dealer on Monday. Was hoping I'd just missed the recall as the car was registered in October 13.

Soldato
I spoke to the dealer a couple of weeks ago, they hadn't decided how it's all going to be done yet.

The labour is something like 12 hours per car. I think it will be next month before we hear anything.

Soldato
No point asking the dealers just yet, they are not getting any details until end of this month/start of next. Letters will be going out to all affected soon but wouldn't expect any action until the new year.

If you want to check more on the recall you can find if you are affected on the DVLA website (do an MOT check and it will be listed there)

Soldato
Yea it's going to be a while with the amount of work which needs to be done. It's not just the GT86/BRZ but Imprezas and Legacies as well.

Soldato
As far as I'm concerned they can take a long time deciding what they're doing. Mines scheduled for the spark plug change in September. It would be best to do the fix and service at the same time.

Soldato
As far as I'm concerned they can take a long time deciding what they're doing. Mines scheduled for the spark plug change in September. It would be best to do the fix and service at the same time.

Yup, that's what I'm doing (well, done).

They'll be taking the plugs out anyway so it's no skin off their nose to put fresh ones back in after.

Soldato
I'm wondering if they would do the water pump and clutch while they have the engine out :)

Would be nice if they stuck in some forged rods too :D

Associate
Take a photo of the engine bay ;)

I totally missed that message till now :p

I've had a nosey under the bonet and it appears they ran out of paint during the construction. Solar Orange is so limited they didn't use it in the engine bay. What is that all about!? :rolleyes:

On a positive I still love my car. Still getting to grips with driving a rear wheel, haven't messed with the traction control options either yet or if I'm honest had the car sideways as the electronics jump in quite harshly to get you straight again at the slightest hint of a rear wiggle. Will have to figure out which modes do what when I have some quiet "private road" ahem.

My only real niggle is the lack of sound out of the exhaust... Oh and the stereo. So plan is to get a cat back and a panel filter and sort the stereo ofter that.

Can anyone recommend a cat back? I will be going catless UEL and remap in the future but not while I have so muck warranty. I like the blue burnt titanium style but it's not a deal breaker. Have seen the Invidia Q300 - apparently it's tame on a standard car but great when the UEL goes on. Also looked at Cobra and saw some people here mention RRG Macclesfield fitting non Toyota parts. I'm guessing it's a dealer lots recommend?

As for audio - what are people doing there to make it sound better? Head unit upgrade? Speaker upgrade? I've seen the Oem+ system from across the pond. Seems awesome.

ANYWAY this post is getting long :D

Alex

Associate
Lots of people swap the fronts for Focal IS165TOY speakers I believe . The oem audio plus system is a more expensive option and they are based in America. Head unit swaps seem popular as well. Are you on any of the GT86 owners forums?

Soldato
Just installed the IS165TOY kit while improving the sound proofing within the doors. Still bedding in but they are better than the stock units for the price.

Cobra is a good choice but be very careful with wishing for more noise on an exhaust. I went with a 3" system and loved the noise, still quiet enough to get through Bedford's noise limitations. Once I went catless manifold I was then too loud for any track. Keeping one of the stock cats will help.

Back
Top Bottom