GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
I made that mistake when I picked my GT86 few years ago, I went to the gym and left one of the keys in the boot in my work bag but then took the key out and it locked automatically.
The mod bug will bite you eventually, you'll be wanting a louder exhaust to get that boxer rumble. =D

I could see myself going for a new intake, manifold and remap. But not sure about exhaust, im not particularly into loud cars, and the street I live is quiet.

Soldato
If you don't want it loud stick with a well resonated back box (or keep the stock one). Otherwise these cars can get very loud pretty quickly once you start changing other stuff. With a non-resonated exhaust, UEL manifold, sport cat, etc you'll hear it from miles away at 7000+ revs. It will be well over the noise limit for tracks :D

Last edited:
Soldato
If you don't want it loud stick with a well resonated back box (or keep the stock one). Otherwise these cars can get very loud pretty quickly once you start changing other stuff. With a non-resonated exhaust, UEL manifold, sport cat, etc you'll hear it from miles away at 7000+ revs. It will be well over the noise limit for tracks :D

But sound epic ;)

I'm resonated Cobra catback, but catless UEL manifold with stock 2nd cat. It's right on the limit for what I'd consider a daily. Literally any more and I'd lose the will to live, but if you get a tunnel or underpass... can't help but downshift and floor it :D

Soldato
But sound epic ;)

I'm resonated Cobra catback, but catless UEL manifold with stock 2nd cat. It's right on the limit for what I'd consider a daily. Literally any more and I'd lose the will to live, but if you get a tunnel or underpass... can't help but downshift and floor it :D

Yea but go unresonated and it's probably so loud that you'd get pulled over by the police :p

Associate
OP
But sound epic ;)

Any video clips of it? :)

Keep changing my mind about what setup I want, 100% a Catless UEL Mani but not sure what else

Soldato
I'm full 3" single cat EL still running NA and far too loud for track when full throttle. Loud exhaust is a safety feature around here, parents ignoring their kids on the school walk actually look up to seek the offending noise and yell at their kids to be careful. Every time I've borrowed the hybrids for warranty work/servicing the horn has had to be used at the kids to pay attention while running in the roads. Would not recommend if I had to take passengers though.

Soldato
There’s a couple of kits that have just been released. No figures on them yet, in fact there’s very little info whatsoever bar a video clip of one on a dyno being revved...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
There’s a couple of kids that have just been released. No figures on them yet, in fact there’s very little info whatsoever bar a video clip of one on a dyno being revved...

Look forward to seeing their potential, I'm curious to see how much gains they put out, I'd imagine it'll only be 30-40hp region but for the noise it seems worth it! :p

Soldato
The down side is making the throttle body bigger/more of them will probably cause it to drink fuel :D

The boxers are already quite a nice sounding engines I think.

Associate
That Cobra exhaust sounds awesome with the UEL manifold. I've just bought an 86 and pick it up on Sunday. I can't wait and am like a kid waiting for Christmas. My only concern is as its a 2017 and has lots of warranty left I can't really mod stuff on it without risking killing the warranty. May have to stay standard for a bit.

Any hoo - here she is:

ySjpsmM.jpg

Im on my mobile so I can't tell if that picture is massive or not. Sorry if it is!

Did I mention I can't wait

Associate
Do like the new front bumper and wheels for the gen 2 GT86/BRZ.
As for warranty claims..as long as nothing exhaust related is cause of your "warranty" claim then you will be fine. :D

Soldato
Orange Editions are lovely. Just don't look in the engine bay :D

Mods aren't actually too bad with Toyota warranty - especially RRG where I go. They actually sell aftermarket stuff and it's covered. They do pretty much everything apart from remaps. :)

Soldato
Issues with warranty comes down to how much the dealer wants to keep you as a customer and if they think Toyota will reimburse them to repair it. Some dealers will gladly replace parts and chance it with Toyota to get paid for the job if it's simple enough but once the job starts getting expensive or their own poorly trained mechanics cannot fill out the paperwork and log the issue properly to get reimbursed they reject the work even if a part has genuinely failed which should be covered.

My last batch of warranty work:
Rear view mirror de-laminating, replaced no quibble as part was only around £50.
Door glass heavy scratches - refused to replace as the damage was "cosmetic" even though it was caused by failure of the guides within the door resulting in metal on glass contact, as the glass is moved every time the door opens/closes the scratching was constant.

The rear view mirror was a cosmetic issue but it was replaced, the door glass was a mechanical failure (covered under warranty) but as the damage was only supposedly cosmetic they refused. After 4 months of emails/phonecalls then waiting for parts it was replaced but in doing so the dealer then caused further damage to the car... and broke the part they had just replaced.

If you mod the car, the chance the dealer will even notice is slim because they can't recognise their own OEM/replacement parts, then they have to prove that it's your mod that caused the failure. I'd keep it standard until spring then decide what you want to do with it after winter, gives you time to appreciate what the car is capable of and what mods are a priority.

Soldato
Mods can be risky with warranty, but the Japanese manufacturers are usually a lot more lenient than the Germans. VAG will mug you off if you even think about modding. Toyota themselves sell mod parts (TRD).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom