GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
You don't want a scratch to develop, my battle took 5 months to settle as they claimed a scratch is cosmetic and therefore not covered under the 5 year mechanical warranty even though it is caused by the failure of a component required for the operation of a motorised part. But during the same session they replaced the rear view mirror which had a purely cosmetic issue. If you're that concerned I'd examine the guides yourself to see if the pads are still in place. They are more likely to be damaged if you do a lot of opening/closing of the window while it is frozen.

Soldato
Well I don't want one to develop, I'd just rather it happen during warranty than outside of it. Your dealership has messed you around before. They also made mistakes fitting the window right? The one near me were great, just a little misunderstanding between the main site and the service garage round the corner that was soon sorted out. Also I'm an amazing complainer, with plenty of time on my hands to contact head offices. :D

Soldato
Yup, in the end it was over 20 hours of phonecalls, half dozen visits to the dealership, 3 hire cars over 3 weeks. Over 15 members of staff involved of which 8 were supposedly management, all because a sponge had broken off a plastic clip. If it was just replacing the clip I would have done it myself but the glass costs were over £1k so warranty claim it had to be. One of the issues was them breaking the glass after doing the repair and leaving all the broken glass inside the door, didn't bother to vacuum it out, then didn't bother to replace the vapour barrier before reattaching the door card. Scratches on the other door card where they'd used a tool to lever out more trim. Even when it went back for those repairs the master tech working on the car routed the central locking lines through the wrong holes on the replacement vapour barrier meaning they wouldn't have worked again, but fortunately this was corrected before handover.

What was really frustrating is I was adding silentcoat and other sound proofing materials to the car over the summer with some improved speakers and couldn't finish the work until Toyota signed off and completed the warranty work. Still got the 2nd batch of materials to cut and fit which will have to wait until spring now.

Soldato
The most recent two was a safety notice on the satnav for use with the rear camera modules, and another for the wrong sticker applied to the spacesaver wheel, a good chance it's one of those updated for the newest batch.

Associate
Lol a sticker? Do they really think people are that retarded?? Actually scratch that thought...we do have ordinary people, lawyers, accountants and estate agents buying enthusiast cars all the time.

Soldato
This is an example from the Gulf, I don't have access to the full UK list

The spare tire air pressure was not adjusted to the proper pressure as stated on the Tire Pressure Label.

The Problem
A spare tire that is not inflated to the proper value may not perform as intended, increasing the risk of a crash.

Soldato
Yup, in the end it was over 20 hours of phonecalls, half dozen visits to the dealership, 3 hire cars over 3 weeks. Over 15 members of staff involved of which 8 were supposedly management, all because a sponge had broken off a plastic clip....

That must have been so frustrating. I think I would have learnt Japanese and given Mr Uchiyamada a call. (I googled the Toyota chairman's name)

Soldato
That must have been so frustrating. I think I would have learnt Japanese and given Mr Uchiyamada a call. (I googled the Toyota chairman's name)

Unfortunately after getting the "couldn't find fault" response I sourced the full technical service bulletin for that fault from the US Toyota site, the exploded parts diagrams from a Russian directory, but this "evidence" was rejected because it wasn't branded Toyota UK and it isn't the same for UK cars, even though as Nasher stated his dealer from the same group 15 miles away were able to replace his parts. I was not allowed to go to another dealer because my warranty claim had already been rejected so I had to fight it through the same dealer.

Soldato
Recall can be done at any dealer luckily, assuming RRG Macc will have a very long waiting list so I'm aiming to get it done and combined with my 6 year service Aug/Sept time and get a few other parts swapped out while the engine is out. Part of the agreement for their screwup was to have the 6 year service paid for by them but now thanks to the recall I negotiated it to yr7 and yr8 at any Toyota dealer and they'll pay for it.

Soldato
Noticed my first proper fault today...

The light in the driver's side heated seat switch has died. Not good enough Japan! :(

Sorry to hear that mate. Hopefully they will fix it during the recall.

Recall can be done at any dealer luckily, assuming RRG Macc will have a very long waiting list so I'm aiming to get it done and combined with my 6 year service Aug/Sept time and get a few other parts swapped out while the engine is out. Part of the agreement for their screwup was to have the 6 year service paid for by them but now thanks to the recall I negotiated it to yr7 and yr8 at any Toyota dealer and they'll pay for it.

Ah so they have/will compensate you for the grief. That's something I guess.

I got a call from the salesman that sold me the car, as it's coming up to 6 months of ownership now. He was just checking everything was ok and that I was happy with the car. I thought that was a nice touch. He will be calling again in another 6 months.

Soldato
Toyota do like to keep calling to see how you're getting on, any opportunity to try and sell you a new car in the future. All the experienced staff have be on a do not call list because I am more trouble than I'm worth but unfortunately that list often gets passed down to the new starters to cold call to see if I am interested in seeing what fantastic manager approved deal I can get on a new car and to book an appointment to visit the dealership. Some of the exclusive offers and promises I've had from those phone calls have been outright lies to try and get me in to discuss prices ("yes sir we have a blue aero model in our showroom right now if you want to look at it", they never released the aero in blue here, only other EU markets).

Soldato
Heavy sales tactics never work on me, I tell them they are just wasting their time. To me them trying to sell another call so soon would make me think they have no confidence in the current car. I made it clear when I bought it that I want the GT86 for at least 5 years, and then we'll be talking about a Supra.

Back
Top Bottom