GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
Whilst the car would appear to be an improvement from the GT86, it surprises me that there is so much hype around it, considering the GT86 never really flew off the shelves. I have my suspicions that 'limited production' is a demand creator for a car that Toyota were only expecting to sell in relatively limited numbers here anyway.

Same. As soon as it was announced, I knew that it would be the main contender for my next car. I assumed I would just be able to wait until it was available second hand for a slight discount, but it was the rumour that it wouldn't be available for long which stirred me to order new. I'm not buying it intending to flip for a profit though, I'm buying it to own and enjoy long term, so even if does turn out to be marketing that I've fallen for, and they ramp up production, I won't be particularly bitter about it.

Associate
I think the additional hype probably comes from how many improvements they seem to have made over the GT86.

As bad as it sounds I didn't even consider an ND MX5 until they facelifted and completely revised the 2.0 engine. The additonal power made a huge difference to how the car felt and drove.

When it comes to just marketing, it really is difficult, as we still haven't had any news from Toyota on whether there will be another run of the Yaris. With the GR86 on a strict 2 year clock there will not be a bazillion of them around. So they may allocate a few more to the UK market potentially, but strongly doubt they will crank out thousands over and above whatever total allocation comes to the UK over 2 years.

Soldato
With the GR86 on a strict 2 year clock there will not be a bazillion of them around. So they may allocate a few more to the UK market potentially, but strongly doubt they will crank out thousands over and above whatever total allocation comes to the UK over 2 years.

It took them the best part of a decade to shift 7000ish GT86s, whilst I can see some increase in demand for the improved successor car, I can't imagine the genuine ongoing demand will necessitate them adding thousands more units or an extension to the planned 2 year UK production run as you say.

There's definitely a different atmosphere around "we're only going to make it for 2 years!" versus "we're stopping production because we've hardly sold any for 2 years" :p

OcUK Staff
Gah, wish I had put a deposit down now with a opportunity to flip if turns out like the Yaris.

I did think about it but just thought it is not a car I would be likely to keep so did not bother, now wait to see them on Collecting Cars in the height of Summer fetching 40k, lol. :D

Soldato
It’s weird knowing that a 30k car sells out in 40 minutes. We’re not talking some limited edition iPhone or watch. We’re talking an affordable sports car. Market is mad.

Soldato
Second hand 'Stang or Supra though isn't it. True this is lighter but the engine is so meh in every sense that it lacks any fizz or occasion.
I don't think any of us know if the engine is meh. From US reviews it is far from it and much better than gt86 was. If they're comparing to s2000 and ND mx5 I would say it's very good.

Caporegime
I don't think any of us know if the engine is meh. From US reviews it is far from it and much better than gt86 was. If they're comparing to s2000 and ND mx5 I would say it's very good.

I think we all know that it is.

I'd rather have an RX8 with all of its inherent flaws tbh. Or a car with a k20a... Even a vag turbo but in a different body.

Soldato
Who's "we"? It doesn't seem to include anyone who's actually driven one, so far. Nor several hundred UK buyers (and perhaps more given how quickly it sold out) so far.

I get your scepticism. The engine in the first generation was it's weak point. But I don't get being completely adamant that there's no way it could be improved, even in the face of evidence to the contrary from those who have driven it.

Soldato
Just had the phone call confirmation that my order has been passed through. Current estimated delivery is August, can hold it off to September if I want a 72 registration (although I'm not sure I'd bother).
Bit more relaxed now. Although I'd had a confirmation of my order, there's been rumours that more orders had been taken than were allocated to the market, so I've had an anxious few days waiting for the call. Means I can go ahead with selling my current car too.

Cant wait :)

Soldato
Just had the phone call confirmation that my order has been passed through. Current estimated delivery is August, can hold it off to September if I want a 72 registration (although I'm not sure I'd bother).
Bit more relaxed now. Although I'd had a confirmation of my order, there's been rumours that more orders had been taken than were allocated to the market, so I've had an anxious few days waiting for the call. Means I can go ahead with selling my current car too.

Nice one! Good to hear. I planned to look into it seriously later but got no chance now.

Associate

That's great news, still waiting for my call, but so are plenty of others over on GR-Zoo forums.
Not worried just yet.

Soldato
Soldato
And she's now gone, for £11k, which was my limit. Seems to have gone to a car enthusiast, so happy with that too.
Did you sell it via those forums? I've put mine up now, both there and also on the Drivers Club forum. Not sure they're the best place to advertise but figured I'd start there before paying for adverts elsewhere.

Soldato
Did you sell it via those forums? I've put mine up now, both there and also on the Drivers Club forum. Not sure they're the best place to advertise but figured I'd start there before paying for adverts elsewhere.
I saw your ad today in fact.

I also put up on forums first and zero interest. Then AT for two weeks and no enquiries for a week. Then last weekend i put on PH as well for a month (cheaper than AT) .

I got a lowball offer for 10k off PH straightaway, from who i can only assume was a dealer.

Then midweek I got my serious buyer from AT.

Frankly, given £11.5k was the second cheapest car within 100 miles of me, I am surprise there wasn't more interest.

I'd hope you'd get around £11k too. I'm not sure how some dealers are getting away advertising similar cars for £13k+, but I can see they haven't shifted for weeks, if not months.

Back
Top Bottom