GT86/GR86/BRZ

Associate
Not quite a GT86, but going to sneak this in here anyway as its pretty much the same car. I'm still loving mine, really fancy adding forced induction at somepoint but currently just enjoying it. Its my 3rd one and this one has lasted the longest as I've built it exactly how I want it. Its not to everyones taste, as its in your face but it makes me smile every time I see it, let alone when I press that start button.

Untitled by James Baker, on Flickr

A bit of a transformation from the day I purchased it just before lock down:

Soldato
After a long delay, it seems like things might finally be moving with the GR86. Apparently there had been a hold on all European deliveries due to a software update for the VSC module. Not had much info from Toyota UK (my car arrived in the country a month ago and I've heard little since), but it looks like press cars are out and about, and I've received an email today just confirming my chosen payment method, if I need part exchange, private plates, etc. So hopefully not going to be too much longer before I get the car :)

First review of the car in the UK is out too, from Top Gear. I guess we might see some more reviews and maybe videos appearing soon too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any of you GT86/BRZ owners had much time with the Cayman?

Ive got a nice BRZ available locally but there is a bit of me wondering if I spend a bit more and go for a Gen 2 987 2.9 or similar which is another on my list to try

Associate
OP
Any of you GT86/BRZ owners had much time with the Cayman?

Ive got a nice BRZ available locally but there is a bit of me wondering if I spend a bit more and go for a Gen 2 987 2.9 or similar which is another on my list to try
I looked at a Cayman S 981 for a while, almost sniped a dream spec one with the buckets and all the works but it sold after I had tried to place a deposit on it, it's the closest thing you'll get in terms of driver experience whilst having a bit more "go" to it. I have a friend in a 981 who absolutely loves his, and his friend has a 987.2 who also loves that :)

Just watch out for the IMS bearing on 987's, have a read into it! :)

Soldato
Not quite a GT86, but going to sneak this in here anyway as its pretty much the same car. I'm still loving mine, really fancy adding forced induction at somepoint but currently just enjoying it. Its my 3rd one and this one has lasted the longest as I've built it exactly how I want it. Its not to everyones taste, as its in your face but it makes me smile every time I see it, let alone when I press that start button.

A bit of a transformation from the day I purchased it just before lock down:

Very nice, bravo

Soldato
Pistonheads have put out a review alongside the BBR MX5 ND. I'd been finding it difficult to get excited about receiving the car; there's been constant delays, and even now I'm not sure that I'll be seeing the car in November as I was last told. Reading this has raised my spirits a bit though...it should be well worth the wait :)

Certainly, anyone fortunate enough to be on the end of a confirmed GR86 order is in for a twice-in-a-generation treat. Let’s hope many if not most are GT86 customers, who deserve to see the concept finally perfected. Perhaps ‘86 restomod’ sounds daft, but in its sympathetic updating of a flawed cult hero, from the additional performance to suave new look, that’s the way the GR drives. It is that good, that moreish. To a man, we all want one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Price looks about right for the age and mileage I'd say. And it does look in good condition. Aftermarket head unit; but the stock one is a bit tosh, so that's a plus. I'm also pretty sure those headlights are aftermarket too (Vland I think).

One definite thing to check. That's a 2012 model so would have been subject to the valve spring recall, but there's no mention of it being done. It's an engine out job and there was quite a lot of controversy with perfectly healthy cars going pop soon after having it done. So many owners didn't bother, as it seemed that there was less chance of a valve spring failing than the the engine failing due to the recall to replace them. But anecdotally I think it was more GT86s suffering the problem than BRZs. Presumably Subaru techs are more experienced with the engine.

If the work has already been done, great, as any potential problems would have occurred very soon after. If not, factor in getting it done. Its a recall so you won't have to pay, but you'll need to leave it with a dealer for a week or so.

Soldato
The recall didn't start until 2013 models on DVLA's site (NI records not available), so if it's a 2012 car it might not have required it but as above you're probably safer not doing it if it hasn't been done by now. Headlights look stock for a BRZ

Associate
OP
The recall didn't start until 2013 models on DVLA's site (NI records not available), so if it's a 2012 car it might not have required it but as above you're probably safer not doing it if it hasn't been done by now. Headlights look stock for a BRZ

I'd agree with this, at 80k+ region you can pretty much bet they'll be fine.

My 86 didn't do too well after the recall!

Soldato
still annoying that there are only 500 gr86's allocated to the uk, it would quite suit my current needs and I dont want to invest in the "old model" of the GT86 knowing there's a better one out there

Soldato
It applied to mine which was registered 2013 the car had a 2012 build date...I'm pretty sure it affected all cars built before 2014 or something.

And yes you're right about the headlights. Forgot the BRZ had indicators in the main cluster but didn't know the DRL was a different shape.

Soldato
Finally, after several weeks of frustrating radio silence about my order:

HyOvNEQ.png

Toyota's handling of the ordering process has been pretty woeful. A complete lack of information about the car (which I know was built and delivered 2 months ago), and nothing but a virtual shrug of the shoulders whenever I chased for an update on when the car might be delivered, and to be honest, I was starting to lose any of the excitement about getting a new car.

I picked up the latest copy of Evo yesterday, where Steve Sutcliffe has given the car a absolutely glowing review compared against an Alpine/MX5. That, plus getting this email has reinvigorated my excitement. Can't wait for December :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice! they’ll go for silly money on used market. I checked Japan and you can get one imported to uk for around £30k. Their “base” spec one that they sell in Japan is even cheaper.

Soldato
The import option is an interesting one.

I'd need to dig into it again, but would they need a model report? I've not done the under 10yr process, always went the easier route.

Soldato
The import option is an interesting one.

I'd need to dig into it again, but would they need a model report? I've not done the under 10yr process, always went the easier route.

it'd need a VOSA test which is basically for cars newer than 10 years old.. but any competent importer can sort that out.

Basically the cons would be :

no warrianty from toyota uk
spec is JDM so may be different, they've got more choice than we did here
price won't be much different to what they were new here.

used market is unknown but I bet they'll be into 40s simply because of how rare/hard they're to get here and if the reviews come out glowing it'll be even worse - aka GR yaris bad.

Back
Top Bottom