GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
All the dealers have right now is the manual on how to repair and have not had the training to walk them through it. Even though we've known about the recall since the start of November letters have still not been sent out because they want to wait until a process is in place to correct the issue.

In the US they have started recalling cars but some users have already had issues with the repair (as predicted).

Right now all we can do is wait until we are contacted and then get an update from the dealers once the letters are out. What is worrying is Toyota were supposed to contact all owners within 6 weeks either to explain the recall, or let users know of the recall and further updates will be announced in time.

Soldato
I was told yesterday that they when they do the recall they will be keeping the car for a week. And that they are waiting for some gt86's to be delivered so that the customers can use them instead of a lesser spec vehicle.

Soldato
I wonder if I can coincide the repair with my major service and get any kind of discount, due to get that done anytime now. I believe it's the expensive £600 one.

Soldato
It's supposed to be 12 hours O_o

I was speaking to the salesman when I picked up my car earlier (Was done for free in the end, they said it's always worth hassling headoffice).
He also has a Gt86 that needs the recall done, and he said only the head mechanic will be doing them and they don't want to make the same mistake that Subaru made. They had to redo a lot of them because they wasn't done properly the first time. They also estimate the work will start in March.

Associate
OP
I wonder if I can coincide the repair with my major service and get any kind of discount, due to get that done anytime now. I believe it's the expensive £600 one.

My local dealer said they'd pile in the £600 service into the recall for me if I took it there to save me some money. I'd imagine most places will do the same as it means they're still making some money I'd imagine.

Still taking it to RRG Macc though.

Soldato
For a 5 year old gt86 the service switches to silver/gold instead of int/full. On top of that there's an offer for basic service plus MOT for £99 on various forums. With the engine already lifted and paying for parts at Toyota retail price you should be able to get the 6 year service done for under £300 at the same time as the recall. This is why service plans for any car over 3 years old is overpriced.

Associate
OP
I've uploaded the PDF for the Recall Repair Procedure here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/anmlc3zqtkncxiu/Valve Spring Recall.pdf?dl=0

(Hopefully I'm allowed to share that here?)

Seems like we get a free aircon re-gas which saves the best part of £100-200 with the gas used in the 86.

Also, new drop links it seems.

They're only letting techs with an Expert or Master certification carry out the repairs which is a little relieving to know.

Soldato
Had the Master work on my car replacing the glass in the door, still managed to feed the central locking lines through the wrong holes in the moisture barrier when inspected. Luckily they corrected it once they found out the door card wouldn't go back on.

Soldato
Just saw this on reddit. Someone had a special time with their GT86 today on Valentines :D

hnpkv00p6kg21.jpg

Associate
I much prefer that cup holder spot to have the arm-rest attached on in my opinion, cabin looks much nicer but that is a cute photo and surprised a small dog can fit in it comfortably lol.
One feature i did like though was a cig port inside the glove box which made powering a dash-cam with cig adapter easier to power and route out.

Soldato
Yeah, as a cup holder it's really far back. I find it useful for coffee, but I have to limber up and stretch before getting in the car in order to be able to reach around and grab it :D

I like the door slot though, it's perfect for a watter bottle, which I usually carry around with me.

The 12V slot in the glove box is very useful, got my dashcam set up there at the mo :)

Soldato
The other night I noticed that the windows have the problem where it leaves the 2 thick vertical lines. But It's the one and only time I've seen them, and there's no scratches. So I don't know how to approach the dealer about it..

Soldato
It's probably doing its job as there's supposed to be some fabric on those guides to keep the window running correctly, it only scratches when the fabric fails. If you can peel up the trim on the outside of the door you can look down on the guides to see if the fabric is still there. I'll upload some pics tomorrow with details on what to look for as my last hosted ones have vanished.

Soldato
Ah ok that makes sense. It was a cold night and the windows had steamed up a bit. Im pretty sure i would have noticed a scratch if it was there. I can hopefully relax. Thanks for helping, this thread has saved me again.

Back
Top Bottom