• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTAV performance thread.

Soldato
A friend of mine is running 2x 290 in crossfire using the 15.4 driver and it didnt work one bit for him. I had to help him and set up a custom ccc profile using the 1x1 crossfire setting for it to work. He seems happy now though for the most part.. There are a few occasional drops here and there but it seems for the most part he is now able to stay above 70 fps on his 1080p screen. I dont know what settings he is using though.

Soldato
can anyone comment on this games crossfire support? im running 2 6950s and play at 1080p? wondering if its worth buying the game with my hardware or will my ps4 version be better than i can achieve?

Its scaling really well with crossfire, havent seen anyone posting with 6950s yet though.

Its a shame game companies dont let ya download and play for 10 mins so you can test how it runs before ya buy, Origin let ya play some games free for a day sometimes, maybe more companies should do it. I tried out titanfall and bf4 on there first before i decided if i wanted to buy them.

Soldato
Just about to buy a reference GTX 980 as an upgrade from my old HD7950, thought I'd best treat my system to make the most out of GTA! :)

Haven't played with the settings, just left it on automatic and it plays well without any stuttering or slowdowns and looks quite pretty too, but I'd like to set it up as well as I can with the new card.

System :-

i5 3570k stock
16gb DDR3
1080P

Any recommended settings please?

Soldato
770 is a good card but 970 is better by a fair margin. If 1080p a 970 does a great job and you can always add another later if needs be. I prefer a single more powerful card rather than two lower spec cards. You usually get better min fps that way.

Soldato
Already agreed a deal on a second hand 980, thought that if I was going to upgrade, I may as well go the whole hog!

Only got a Corsair HX520W PSU so more than one card's out of the equation, this will be my last upgrade before a full system rebuild in a couple of years or so.

Soldato
Its scaling really well with crossfire, havent seen anyone posting with 6950s yet though.

Its a shame game companies dont let ya download and play for 10 mins so you can test how it runs before ya buy, Origin let ya play some games free for a day sometimes, maybe more companies should do it. I tried out titanfall and bf4 on there first before i decided if i wanted to buy them.

couldnt agree more but then i suppose they would lose sales from potential customers :D would be nice though!

i may just go for it tomorrow and post my experience then :) thanks!

Soldato
OP
OK been looking for some info but can't seem to find it on the WWW so I thought I would ask here.

How many PCs can you install this on? Any one know? or have installed it on more than one rig? I don't want to go through all of those discs to find it's only one I'd be devastated lol.

Associate
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-grand-theft-auto-5

"What's interesting is that the gap between frame-rates between 1080p and 1440p resolutions is relatively slight, suggesting that we may well be CPU or DX11 driver-limited. This is borne out by the lack of scaling found using Titan X, which achieves a paltry four per cent boost over GTX 980 at 1080p (!), and a mere seven per cent boost at 1440p. These were crazy results we double and triple-checked to be sure, but the results remained consistent. Titan X's advantage rises to a comparatively massive 27 per cent at 4K, where we are clearly more GPU-bound."

Interesting that unless at 4k the TX shows little gains over the 980.

Soldato
Just traded the PS4 version for steam credit and downloading now. Will update with how it runs with crossfire 6950's in a bit :) should atleast top what i saw on ps4.. i hope

Soldato
Yeah no one responds!

Still can't get sweetx working either

SweetFX all you do is download the files, place them inside the games folder. Setup your Hotkeys and import the settings you want to use.

As for settings, for me a single 290x more or less keeps 60fps+ with everything on highest apart from advanced settings and MSAA and grass on high.

General installation instructions
Install using SweetFX Configurator
First step, you need the SweetFX Configurator version 1.3.3 or later.
Select the game in the games list (you might have to add it to the list first)
Click the "Save / Load configuration" button
Click "Import preset" OR drag the downloaded settings file to the preset list
Select the new preset in the list
(Optional) Rename the new preset
Click on "Load selected preset" and the preset will be loaded into the Configurator main window
Manual install
First of all, you need SweetFX to use these presets. For installation I'll just refer you to that thread, which have pages of information, and link to a great introductionary youtube video.
Then, when SweetFX is running and enabled for the game, you either :
Copy the downloaded preset into the game folder
Edit the file "SweetFX_preset.txt" to point to the new file
OR just copy the content and replace the existing SweetFX_settings.txt content.

Soldato
So far was suprised with how well it was running on my 6950s during the opening! using the settings it suggested which are all fairly high. then in the next mission it got a bit choppy when driving fast so going to try the beta drivers now :)

Soldato
after beta drivers i no longer have the stuttering i was getting when driving. wouldnt mind a solid 60fps so may have to drop some settings or mess with CCC?

Back
Top Bottom