• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060 To Be Announced on 7th July ?

Caporegime
NVIDIA will not undercut AMD and they also will not price it under 970, the 1060 shall go in the gap the 980 once was with similar performance at around 300 quid because that gives NVIDIA a good lineup as 970 and 960 shall remain for a few more months which fill the 220GBP and 150GBP gaps.

There's no way people will buy a 1060 for £300.

It doesn't have the prestige of the x70 or x80 cards, let alone the Ti or Titan.

It's a 5th tier card - people will not pay £300.

Likewise, nobody is going to pay £250 for an x50 nVidia product.

They're going to get a reality shock if they release at this price. Who do they think they are, Apple?

Soldato
You've got to admire their stubbornness :p

"overclocking to 1500 will save the 480"
"AIB cards with more power will save the 480"
"Magic drivers will save the 480"
"DX12 will save the 480"

Instead of looking at what AMD delivered, there is/was endless "it'll get better, just you wait" talk.

Perhaps they're just trying to suppress their own disappointment :p

This is why with your type of attitude and others that follow the same it is pointless to try and have reasonable discussion like adults.
I get the whole have a laugh and bit of banter but with some it is just endless and irritating.

Bottom line everyone wants the best performance at this price point.
Yet already you ignore the added potential the 480 may achieve with AIB cards costing very little more.

The true reality is the best AIB cards should not only further the DX12 performance gap beyond the 970 and bring the DX11 more in line with it or closer to the 980. If AIB can improve GTX founders editions then damn sure it can do the same with the "Power Target" issues the reference 480 have.

I hope and expect the 1060 to ALSO be a good card but it seems sensible to wait on more information about it before jumping to conclusions.

Associate
Going forward, AMD are only producing 8gb 480s. The prices start at £240.

£250 is only 4.2% money. If the 1060 is 3-5% faster as you say, then it's exactly the same perf/$.

Logic :p

Except to you don't get the "let's fry your PCI slots" feature with the 1060.

Huge disappointment. :D

Soldato
There's no way people will buy a 1060 for £300.
Yea, I dont believe that, either.

I mean, yea, if it's 980-level all round, then Nvidia might make the argument that because the 980 was originally $550, then this marks a big improvement, but the 980 was overpriced and a $350 970 could come damn close to one overclocked.

I can see a top of the line, 3rd party 1060 come near £300, but as a base price, that's insanity.

If Nvidia go this route, then I'll pretty much have given up on this new lineup of cards from them and AMD. Utter disappointment all round.

Caporegime
Yea, I dont believe that, either.

I mean, yea, if it's 980-level all round, then Nvidia might make the argument that because the 980 was originally $550, then this marks a big improvement, but the 980 was overpriced and a $350 970 could come damn close to one overclocked.

I can see a top of the line, 3rd party 1060 come near £300, but as a base price, that's insanity.

If Nvidia go this route, then I'll pretty much have given up on this new lineup of cards from them and AMD. Utter disappointment all round.

Yup I'll show my disappointment by buying something 2nd hand, like a 980.

No way if this £300 price is true will I be supporting nV. And neither AMD.

(On integrated atm so have to buy something :p)

Permabanned
Who cares about DX12 at the moment? There's what 2 or 3 games out maximum, most of which run worse than their DX11 equivalents?

By the time DX12 is commonplace, we'll be on the next generation of GPU's. DX11 performance is far more important in the next year.

+1,

Plus some of the next DX12 titles are bound to be Nvidia nerfed just like ROTTR.

My problem nowadays is the performance in-consistencies, You can have a card that soundly thrashes an opponent on some games while being at a completely lower level with others. It's mostly the DX11 DX12 divide but it's not just that, with AMD we also have it with games like Project cars where a card punches several levels below where it should..

Soldato
especially given the ref 480 has a horrendous cooler and is massively power gimped, both sides will have failed to deliver, AMD on the bad reference design and again Nvidia on pushing prices up again....

The reference design works well enough for the market its designed for, at this level people will have limited to nil overclocking potential on their budget motherboards and it keeps the price down. If people want to pay the extra then non-ref cards wil be along for those that want shortly.

The US prices have been reported to be $299 for the 6gb model and gfx cards are roughly level with the £ price wise atm, so £300 sounds about right.

Yup I'll show my disappointment by buying something 2nd hand, like a 980.

No way if this £300 price is true will I be supporting nV. And neither AMD.

(On integrated atm so have to buy something :p)

Enjoy the EOL soon-to-be-stopped-support drivers and lack of DX12 then!

Soldato
It'd take that. 980 performance for £250, newer architecture, lower power draw. Should have decent OC headroom.
That'll be the 3GB version though. Having just come from a 780, 3GB is really pushing it for newer titles even at 1080p. I had to do a lot of juggling with settings to get GTA V to stay under that, and the highest texture settings on things like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor, Arkham Knight and Just Cause 3 were completely off the table. Pairing an even more powerful GPU with a limitation like that seems like a big compromise.

Caporegime
970 is in that price range. It would have to drop further or the 1060 will be priced higher at launch.

If neither side can offer 980 perf for £200, then for me this generation of cards is a complete failures. From both companies.

980 perf for £200 is the very least this new node should be delivering. It's not asking that much, it really isn't.

That's only 1/3 less price than last gen. Is that too much to ask? Last gen's perf at 1/3 less price?

I can't believe neither side can deliver this. Shocking.

Soldato
You can't blame Nvidia entirely for the pricing either,since the rumours have said either $250 or $300(Gibbo is hinting at the latter price it seems). Remember at 1.6 dollars to the pound,a GTX1060 at $300 would be £225 here and at $250 would be £188 here if VAT was added. When the GTX970 was launched it was around 1.6 dollars to a pound.

The pound is now 1.33 dollars to the pound so the price is either going to be £270 or £225 depending on what price point is hit.

Caporegime
You can't blame Nvidia entirely for the pricing either,since the rumours have said either $250 or $300(Gibbo is hinting at the latter price it seems). Remember at 1.6 dollars to the pound,a GTX1060 at $300 would be £225 here and at $250 would be £188 here if VAT was added. When the GTX970 was launched it was around 1.6 dollars to a pound.

The pound is now 1.33 dollars to the pound so the price is either going to be £270 or £225 depending on what price point is hit.

If the $ price of the 1060 matches the $ price of the 960 I won't argue with you ;)

We will see.

Soldato
If the $ price of the 1060 matches the $ price of the 960 I won't argue with you ;)

We will see.

Well I hope it does since my GTX960 came out it was priced at $200 for the 2GB versions and higher for the 4GB versions when they initially launched.

There is also a rumour of a 3GB version too of the GTX1060.

But Gibbo seems to think the rumour of the higher price is also true.

Last generation we did have a GTX660TI which was a $300 part.

I suppose it is more down to how many GTX960 and GTX970 cards Nvidia needs to sell.

Unless the pound gets weaker,it might interesting to see if pricing does get better once the older cards become EOL.

Anyway,we will soon find out next Monday!! :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom