• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Mei

Mei

Soldato
can i just start off the fights by saying 3 fan coolers on 1060's is lame as hell
o and greg is a p00py hed

Associate
assuming the performance turned out to be exactly the same even with both cards at max overclock, and both were exactly the same price,
which one would you prefer of the two of them ?

Caporegime
assuming the performance turned out to be exactly the same even with both cards at max overclock, and both were exactly the same price,

For me right now it would be an RX 480, AMD seem to do better for future proofing tech, performance longevity.
Free-Sync Screens are a lot less expensive than G-Sync because G-Sync need added hardware to do the same thing.

But i like Shadowplay recording which is built into the Nvidia Drivers, AMD have an equivalent but its third party provided and while the technology works very well and is good those third party apps are not that good.

What i do like about AMD's new drivers it the ability to profile overclock as per game/application launch, which you can't do with Nvidia's drivers.

Last edited:
Associate
Remind me again why AMD is a better option at £250?

Everything points to the 1060 outperforming the RX 480 and using less power. £250 seems to be the cheapest you will pay for a decent non ref 480?

Starting to see RX 480s appear at £290.

Just from my own perspective, Vulkan support seems to be pretty cool. Of course we can argue about uptake, but I believe Frostbite is going to be adding support so it may well become a differentiator.

Also there's always the fears over poor support down the line from Nvidia. The horrors of the 780Ti being outperformed by the 960, etc.

Soldato
What i do like about AMD's new drivers it the ability to profile overclock as per game/application launch, which you can't do with Nvidia's drivers.
That's pretty cool, I had no idea they could do that.

With The Witcher 3, I kept my 970 underclocked(from default MSI Gaming clock to base 970 clock) to stop crashes for quite a long time. Would have been nice to only have had it underclock for just when I played it.

Associate
Just from my own perspective, Vulkan support seems to be pretty cool. Of course we can argue about uptake, but I believe Frostbite is going to be adding support so it may well become a differentiator.

Also there's always the fears over poor support down the line from Nvidia. The horrors of the 780Ti being outperformed by the 960, etc.

I remember reading about all this with 'mantle' but until there's a large uptake with Vulkan AMD look like a poor option.

I'm traditionally an ATI guy too. AMD just seem so far behind nowadays.

Soldato
People see the Vulkan results for Doom and assume that somehow it'd be like that for any Vulkan game. But the big jump for AMD in Doom came from switching over from OpenGL. Going from DX11->Vulkan wouldn't see nearly as big an increase.

Associate
Originally Posted by Ash0787 View Post

1060, less power draw, cooler temps, more suitable for me as it'll be going under the telly.

If I was upgrading my daughter/sons PC's (currently running GTX 950's) I'd be tempted to go for the 480 as I've seen it for as low as £180 and they both have reasonable well cooled midi cases.

Last edited:
Caporegime
1060, less power draw, cooler temps, more suitable for me as it'll be going under the telly.

If I was upgrading my daughter/sons PC's (currently running GTX 950's) I'd be tempted to go for the 480 as I've seen it for as low as £180 and they have full size well cooled cases.

Noise will be a big deal for me in that specific scenario (equal perf & price).

Whilst lower power draw and heat doesn't guarantee the 1060 will be the quieter card, you'd have to say it would have more potential to be quieter.

Ultimately tho, I may end up buying neither, and going for something cheaper. £250 for a 4th/5th tier card is a bitter pill to swallow. The 470 is still on my radar, the 1050 is not (due to being 3gb, etc).

Soldato
Noise will be a big deal for me in that specific scenario (equal perf & price).

Whilst lower power draw and heat doesn't guarantee the 1060 will be the quieter card, you'd have to say it would have more potential to be quieter.

Ultimately tho, I may end up buying neither, and going for something cheaper. £250 for a 4th/5th tier card is a bitter pill to swallow. The 470 is still on my radar, the 1050 is not (due to being 3gb, etc).
Why would 3gb rule out the 1050? Just an opinion, but I'd have thought the intended use of the 1050 will result in it running out of ooompf before memory?
If you need more memory than the 3gb then you probably need more power too :).

Associate

You can have custom setups for every game. Geforce Experience has that for modern games but then you can have a lot more in the Control Center or however the heck it's called these days :).

Back
Top Bottom