• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060

Soldato
I would have bought a 3gb had they been available. I often check my gpu OC software after a gaming session and for my games at least 3gb was always ok on my 780ti. Indeed that card used to do 1440p ultra 60fps synced on battlefront so I had little need to upgrade.

Ymmv.

Soldato
I would have bought a 3gb had they been available. I often check my gpu OC software after a gaming session and for my games at least 3gb was always ok on my 780ti. Indeed that card used to do 1440p ultra 60fps synced on battlefront so I had little need to upgrade.

Ymmv.

I probably wouldn't - I remember the 8800GT in its 256MB version cratering in performance as time progressed. Even my GTX960 can see RAM usage go past 3GB with certain games.

If the 3GB version was massively cheaper it would be one thing,but its way too close in price to the RX480 4GB and RX470 4GB.

In fact both the RX470 4GB and GTX1060 3GB are too close in price to better cards.

Soldato
Anyone gone for the £230 OcUK one of these? I know the other ones for about a fiver more are probably more popular but I think I'd prefer one with a blower fan as my case simply isn't set up to deal with additional heat (one rear case fan, that's it). I believe these run fairly cool as-is so it probably wouldn't be as loud as my 6870 blower anyway.

Just wondered what the cooler itself was like if anyone's seen it.

Associate
OP
Yes, it's just a GP106 with slightly less cores. Calling it an 1060 is a bit rich considering it has fewer cores, very deceptive. The 1060 6GB should have been the ti to differentiate them.

Surprised Nvidia can get away with that. Couldn't they have named it 1050 ?

Soldato
Anyone gone for the £230 OcUK one of these? I know the other ones for about a fiver more are probably more popular but I think I'd prefer one with a blower fan as my case simply isn't set up to deal with additional heat (one rear case fan, that's it). I believe these run fairly cool as-is so it probably wouldn't be as loud as my 6870 blower anyway.

Just wondered what the cooler itself was like if anyone's seen it.

I've read a lot of reviews on these and from what I have read heat isn't an issue. I have a similar case to your own (albeit one more fan) and I don't feel the 1060 will heat up the rest of the PC. I cancelled my 480 pre order as that would have!

Soldato
I really like this guys videos. He really does speak some common sense when it comes to this stuff.

I disagree. He recommends people buy the RX480, as he thinks in 1-2 years there will be more DX12/Vulkan titles that will let the RX480 have a performance advantage over the 1060.

Who the hell will be still using a RX480/1060 in 2 years? Not many that's for sure. I highly doubt anyone bought one as an investment either, as the next gen will be cheaper and faster etc.

Man of Honour
I really like this guys videos. He really does speak some common sense when it comes to this stuff.

I think he makes too many assumptions.

I also think it is a serious weakness cherry picking results from other tech sites.

If only he did his own testing rather than criticising others.

I am not biased on this subject as I own 4 RX480s and 2 1060s.

Which is best, it is not worth arguing about as they are both nice cards.

Caporegime
I think he makes too many assumptions.

I also think it is a serious weakness cherry picking results from other tech sites.

If only he did his own testing rather than criticising others.

I am not biased on this subject as I own 4 RX480s and 2 1060s.

Which is best, it is not worth arguing about as they are both nice cards.

With a comment like that you haven't even watched the video, at least not all of it.

Back
Top Bottom