• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Caporegime
Well, if the 980 can beat my Firestrike score, I could be tempted.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3899806

I think my money can go back in my wallet :D

If these numbers are true, it sort of seems like a card that makes people feel like they've saved however much less than a 980, only to forget how expensive the card is in the first place. A bit like the 290.

Well with pricing of GPUs as they are, if it does come out at around £240, that would be the same price as I paid for a 560Ti many years ago from here. I think the 970 at £240 would be a great priced card.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
tumblr_mc9sk9QzzW1qi2yvfo1_500.gif

Associate
I've just emailed my man at OCUK to save me a 970 tomorrow morning, for saturday delivery ;)

It's lovely that you and your husband share common interests.. :D

Seriously though i'd probably pre-order today if I could. Already got buyers for the 670's just need to shift the waterblocks (which are 680 blocks as the FTW card is the same PCB as the 680).

Sigh.

And then wait for new blocks to be ready whilst growling at the annoying fan noise..

Soldato
Just been told I have 2 x Superclock 980 versions reserved for me (obviously not with OCUK in this instance) :)

Contact told me Nvidia are releasing the standard version and a superclocked flavour too.

Mobster
Soldato
Don't worry I'm sure as soon as AMD counter the 980, Nvidia will release the 980 Ti.. It'll just go on and on lol.

I think the 980 is a more interesting card VS the 290X, as performance is better and power consumption is much much less, for those on Titan's or 780 Ti's there is very little reason to get a GTX 980. Hopefully both camps won't wait to long before putting out something better..

The actual Maxwell architecture looks awesome, all that performance from 2000 cores, the bigger cards will be monsters !

Yeah but were still waiting on them countering the 780Ti ;)

Associate
Just been told I have 2 x Superclock 980 versions reserved for me (obviously not with OCUK in this instance) :)

Contact told me Nvidia are releasing the standard version and a superclocked flavour too.

Oh, me want!

I'd like to go with EVGA again if poss, simply because of their relaxed policy on watercooling..

Associate
Is power consumption really a big deal for people? I can't say I ever really pay attention to it.

I'm a bit disappointed with the leaks but hopefully they aren't true.

Less power consumption generally means less heat and less noise which is something I find important when looking at a new card.

Associate
Less power consumption generally means less heat and less noise which is something I find important when looking at a new card.

...and less heat might mean more overclocking headroom :)

Yeah I do care about power from that POV - the new card will probably generate less heat than my existing setup which would be nice since I have one loop.

Back
Top Bottom