• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Associate
Bit of advice really. Been out of the PC Performance loop for a couple of years now. 6 Months ago I bought a high spec gaming PC from Overclockers with a GTX780Ti 3GB card. I have been wanting an SLi setup for a while but thought I'd wait until these cards were released first. My question is, would I be better getting another GTX780Ti or selling my current one and buying two 970's?

Soldato
This is the situation I'm in

My 7970 Ghz edition and 4Ghz 6 core Xeon (in a old first gen i7 setup) still runs everything I want it to well.

If there's a new UT/(Decent) Battlefield/Crysis/whatever I may be more inclined.

But I have a itch i need to scratch..

Buy a new card when those games come along.

The problem is then comes a GM200 based GTX980TI or Titan Black Ultra and you might regret it.

Or by then we will have 20NM cards.

But a GTX980 still would a reasonable upgrade overall.

The problem is then comes a GM200 based GTX980TI or Titan Black Ultra and you might regret it.

Both will be beat by two 970's in SLI for most peoples scenarios.

Except if he wanted to get dual cards he would have already. Plus quote my whole post next time.

Associate
have been wanting an SLi setup for a while but thought I'd wait until these cards were released first. My question is, would I be better getting another GTX780Ti or selling my current one and buying two 970's?

Wait and see for a few weeks - difficult to know right now - 780Ti Pricing might be very competitive as they approach end-of-life. (assuming you have a sufficient PSU for 780Ti in SLI)

Caporegime
That 970 is pretty damn good for the price! Good to see nvidia pricing it very well. Would be tempted to sell my 290 for one but mantle will be more beneficial for me when it comes to games due to my weak CPU.

Soldato
Bit of advice really. Been out of the PC Performance loop for a couple of years now. 6 Months ago I bought a high spec gaming PC from Overclockers with a GTX780Ti 3GB card. I have been wanting an SLi setup for a while but thought I'd wait until these cards were released first. My question is, would I be better getting another GTX780Ti or selling my current one and buying two 970's?

Depends entirely on price, if you can get the 780ti for cheaper than a 970 then do that, otherwise be aware that you are going to take a hit on trying to sell your existing ti to get the 970's

Back
Top Bottom