• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Associate
Argh!

I'm running 2 x gtx570s at the moment and have been twitching to get a 980. Should I just click 'buy now' on one of the reference cards or walk away and hide in a corner for a couple of weeks?

I can easily drive over and pick it up from the shop directly.

Soldato
This is the situation I'm in

My 7970 Ghz edition and 4Ghz 6 core Xeon (in a old first gen i7 setup) still runs everything I want it to well.

If there's a new UT/(Decent) Battlefield/Crysis/whatever I may be more inclined.

But I have a itch i need to scratch..

Buy a new card when those games come along.

The problem is then comes a GM200 based GTX980TI or Titan Black Ultra and you might regret it.

Or by then we will have 20NM cards.

But a GTX980 still would a reasonable upgrade overall.

The problem is then comes a GM200 based GTX980TI or Titan Black Ultra and you might regret it.

Both will be beat by two 970's in SLI for most peoples scenarios.

Except if he wanted to get dual cards he would have already. Plus quote my whole post next time.

Are you a mind reader? How do you know what he wants.

Also I'm sure you're aware telling people to hold off for newer cards is a never ending game in the GPU world.

Read what he said.

Do you work for OcUK or something???

Caporegime
Titan cooler is expensive piece of kit, not having it keeps the price down. Apparently anyways.

It's remarkable how well it cools considering it's tiny 1 fan design. If you're going SLI and can't watercool it's better than blower coolers too.

Read what he said.

I did, but that doesn't mean he would never consider dual cards. My first quote to you wasn't telling him to go SLI either, just saying two 970's would beat those future cards and be cheaper.

Associate
Depends entirely on price, if you can get the 780ti for cheaper than a 970 then do that, otherwise be aware that you are going to take a hit on trying to sell your existing ti to get the 970's

Wait and see for a few weeks - difficult to know right now - 780Ti Pricing might be very competitive as they approach end-of-life. (assuming you have a sufficient PSU for 780Ti in SLI)

Thanks guys. Will wait and see what happens to 780Ti price.

Associate
Soldato
Argh!

I'm running 2 x gtx570s at the moment and have been twitching to get a 980. Should I just click 'buy now' on one of the reference cards or walk away and hide in a corner for a couple of weeks?

I can easily drive over and pick it up from the shop directly.

I would either get a 970 now, or wait a few weeks on the 980
I think that if we see a new AMD card soon then we might see a small price drop on the 980's, there is certainly plenty of room between the 980 and 970 pricing to allow for it

Soldato
LOL

I'm sure I saw posts from you the other day saying these didn't interest you. :D

I'm a sucker for new tech :o

Nice one and do a stock run on Firestrike for me please :)

Then give it some.

Will do bud.

Nice one Boom :), how many cards is that in the last 6 months? About 5 I think. :p:D

Thinking about 970 SLI myself. :eek:

About 3 I think? 290X, Titan Black, and 780 Ti lol. I never plan to keep them long, I guess some people feel they keep one card for years, before moving on? I like to grab the latest see what it can do then try the next thing lol.

Will probably grab whatever AMD put out next as well if they can compete.

Back
Top Bottom