• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Associate
so i presume 970 sli is better than 295x2 even though its one slot ?
970sli is £100 cheaper or so as well but closed loop cooler so pc case will be hotter ?
Sorry still trying to persuade myself 970sli dual slot is better than 295x2 single slot.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't see why it would be, 970 isn't as good as a 290x.

295x2 is just two 290x GPU's on one PCB, so should be better than 970 in SLI.
Yea. There's no doubt that the 970 offer great performance at a cracking price, but people are getting carried away thinking they are faster than the 290x/780Ti, when in fact they are just on par with 290/780 (not that it is a bad thing), and at a higher stock clock to do so.

People need to calm down and look carefully at what's what.

Caporegime
Yea. There's no doubt that the 970 offer great performance at a cracking price, but people are getting carried away thinking they are faster than the 290x/780Ti, when in fact they are just on par with 290/780 (not that it is a bad thing), and at a higher stock clock to do so.

People need to calm down and look carefully at what's what.

This.

Though to be honest, I had to upgrade my PSU anyway to power the 295x2, so it actually ended up costing me £800 for that card.

If I didn't own a Mini-ITX motherboard (and hence 1x PCI Express slot) I might well have waited and gone for 2x GTX 980's in SLI, since they would have only been £60 more in total, and I wouldn't have had to upgrade my PSU.

Associate
Gah, I'm ordering a complete system using the system configurator, but it doesn't have the Galax 970 OC, only the ordinary 790. They do have the MSI 970 Gaming edition, though...

I'm not big into overclocking stuff myself, so I'm tempted to go with the MSI Gaming as that comes slightly higher clocked than the Galax. But I prefer the visual aesthetics of the Galax OC!

The Galax 970 OC:

GX-002-GX_97235_350.jpg

The MSI 970 Gaming

GX-259-MS_97551_350.jpg

The galax just looks more stylish to me!

Also the Galax OC does a much better job of describing its features: "Extreme factory overclock," "Anodized aluminum backplate protects components and reinforces the PCB", "All new Silence Extreme cooler reduces temps by up to 10C", "Silence Extreme technology switches to single fan cooling at idle for almost noiseless operation", "Quad mixed-gauge heat pipes ensure maximum heat dissipation", "Copper base with solid aluminum cover".

Since I like my PC to be as quiet as possible, all the stuff describing the Galax's quietening and cooling features get me excited. The MSI Gaming just lists a bunch of numbers that don't mean anything to me.

Should I perhaps order the full system with the MSI Gaming, then phone up and change my order to the Galax OC? They're the same price so that should be pretty straightforward.

Associate
A few things I'd like to know, are there any rumours about when Nvida will relaease a faster 980 (a
TI version, or maybe a version with more memory)?

Likewise, any rumours about an AMD counter?

Finally, by exercising extreme self control I can possibly hold out a week before upgrading my 290 to a 980 ... do you think prices will settle/fall in that time?

Associate
has there been any mention of 970's coming out with the reference design cooler like the 980's?

A lot of these custom cooled 970's wont fit my space... if I could get them as reference desigm i deffo will go SLI

Back
Top Bottom