• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Caporegime
A few things I'd like to know, are there any rumours about when Nvida will relaease a faster 980 (a
TI version, or maybe a version with more memory)?

Likewise, any rumours about an AMD counter?

Finally, by exercising extreme self control I can possibly hold out a week before upgrading my 290 to a 980 ... do you think prices will settle/fall in that time?

For your first 2 points, nobody knows, could be next month could be 6 months.

On your last point, doubtful prices will change unless the £ rises rapidly in a week.

Associate
I prefer the MSI of those two, blue PCB's are awful imo.

It's your choice though and yeah you can ring up and change the card.

Heh, can barely see the blue on the Galax, it's covered in metal! (On the underside as well.) And my case will have blue lights inside.

Thanks though, yep I'll do that, order the MSI and then change the order on the phone.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
No one else a bit like meh ? so much talk on lower noise, heat and more efficiency yet in the reviews its no different during load scores to an 780gtx even !

Pretty clear Nvidia/AMD have maxed out what they can do with existing tech and process.

I do however think the 970 is a nice card and well priced for that extra 6-8fps (on average) faster 980 its not worth it, were talking a card that is £260 vs a £440 !

Can tell AMD are going to do the same thing milk that 290 make it as efficient and cooler and release it this fall or before xmas etc

Soldato
Its not really the fault of AMD or Nvidia,as companies like Apple or Qualcomm are hogging the 20NM node. Some say Titan II will be 20NM,but I wonder whether it will be limited supply though.

But for the rest of us,it probably is another year at 28NM.

Caporegime
Gibbo said prices of the 980's would most likely drops down under £400 by Christmas.

What about the 970? Nice cards, and cheaper than I thought they'd be, but still out of my price range :p

Would a sub-£200 970 be too much to ask? (Yes, it would be :p)

I wonder how much they'll cripple the 960...

Soldato
So looks like if you already own 780ti or Titan? then this a pointless upgrade. If you own a 600 or below this will be a massive upgrade. Just release 20nm this been milked to death now. Lets be honest most of us in this forum section dont need more 28nm GPU's
Pointless buying for gaming over what most of us already have. Unless you die hard overclocker and need that what looks like a stunning Overclock headroom.

It don't matter, to me if AMD release GPU's tomorrow if there still 28nm I wont be upgrading.. 20nm is where my next upgrade is.

This new AA 4x MSAA @ 2xMSAA performance hit, Would like to see this against SMAA Ultra because that exactly what that does on the performance and IQ.

Caporegime
Very surprised at people upgrading from a 780/Ti/290/290X in truth. For those owners, it is a poor upgrade . Sure a new toy and all that but the big picture doesn't make sense.

Maybe I am getting old :D

Soldato
Why hasn't anyone benchmarks at 1080p!? Don't they know this is the most popular resolution we game at? I can't find a single 1080p benchmark with Battlefield 4.

Associate
They oversold on them so you may be one of the unlucky ones :(

There was 10+ in stock when I got my order in, so I'll be a bit miffed if I don't manage to get mine tomorrow.

If not, I'll just cancel the order and pick one up myself from ** No competitor talk or hinting ** since they still seem to have ample stock.

Soldato
Very surprised at people upgrading from a 780/Ti/290/290X in truth. For those owners, it is a poor upgrade . Sure a new toy and all that but the big picture doesn't make sense.

Maybe I am getting old :D

I'm thinking of moving from crossfire 7950 to maybe 970 sli.

I have a 120hz monitor so want to get something that will get near enough the same number of fps as my refresh rate for smooth gaming (particularly in BF4). In other instances, getting 60+ fps would be brilliant. I'm only gaming at 1080p so this should all be possible.

sli 970 also leaves the door open for 1440p in the future.

Associate
There was 10+ in stock when I got my order in, so I'll be a bit miffed if I don't manage to get mine tomorrow.

If not, I'll just cancel the order and pick one up myself from ************ since they still seem to have ample stock.

there were some problems with Amazon and paypal payments, I paid with card and it dispatched 9:30

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Heh, can barely see the blue on the Galax, it's covered in metal! (On the underside as well.) And my case will have blue lights inside.

Thanks though, yep I'll do that, order the MSI and then change the order on the phone.

The MSI has 3yr warranty compared to the Galaxs 2yr if things like that matter to you :cool: Also MSI hasn't changed their name into gobbledegook lately :p

Back
Top Bottom