• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
At a guess..

I say GTX 970 going be around £249 to £299 and GTX 980 going be £449 to £499

I reckon the GTX 980 is going be about the same prices as what the 780ti's were ..;)

Example
$549 = £334 + 20% vat = £400 then you have shipping cost to retailer and any import charges and also maybe retailer mark up costs...
WOW.... my crystal ball did work...

Soldato
I'm looking to make the jump to a 970 (not sure which one though!).

I held off grabbing a 770 or 780 - so am currently only running an aged 560ti. Thus it should give a decent amount of kick.

Are these safely overclockable? Or am I better buying a pre clocked version? Any thoughts welcomed!

Associate
Well I was considering getting a R9 285 to go with my new i5 4690k build but the 970 really has thrown a spanner in the works regarding the price!
For £60 more you seem to get a much nicer card.

I really wasn't expecting Nvidia to be that competitive.
Hmmm what to do!

saying that I currently have a 4890 so either card is going to be a massive boost.

Soldato
Well I was considering getting a R9 285 to go with my new i5 4690k build but the 970 really has thrown a spanner in the works regarding the price!
For £60 more you seem to get a much nicer card.

I really wasn't expecting Nvidia to be that competitive.
Hmmm what to do!

saying that I currently have a 4890 so either card is going to be a massive boost.

If you have the budget, go with the 970. A better spec card.

Soldato
All it takes to match a pushed-to-the-brink 980 is a workaday 290X. Disappointing TBH.

Anyone else noticed Gibbo's been listing SLI scores at the top of his charts for the skim-reader impulse buyers? ;).

OcUK Staff
All it takes to match a pushed-to-the-brink 980 is a workaday 290X. Disappointing TBH.

Anyone else noticed Gibbo's been listing SLI scores at the top of his charts for the skim-reader impulse buyers? ;).

No for the people who want to see SLI performance, scaling is exceptional! :)

Just tested 344.11 driver, it is noticeably quicker than 344.07 :eek:

Associate
I currently have a MSI GTX 780 Gaming. I have the itch for some new shiny bits, but can't help thinking these new cards wouldn't be a noticeable jump for me?

Was looking at the GTX 970, Can anyone give me there opinion please? :)

Also if these new card aren't really worth replacing my 780 yet, please look at my setup (in sig) and advise me what I could look at upgrading as like I say, I have the upgrade itch.

Wanted to move to devil's canyon and Z97 board but don't think that's worth it for me yet either as I only really use my PC for gaming.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Very surprised at people upgrading from a 780/Ti/290/290X in truth. For those owners, it is a poor upgrade . Sure a new toy and all that but the big picture doesn't make sense.

Maybe I am getting old :D

Just wiser :eek:

Even if AMD do release something this fall to counter 970/980 it will be not much different to what they have now I reckon.

Caporegime
I currently have a MSI GTX 780 Gaming. I have the itch for some new shiny bits, but can't help thinking these new cards wouldn't be a noticeable jump for me?

Was looking at the GTX 970, Can anyone give me there opinion please? :)

Also if these new card aren't really worth replacing my 780 yet, please look at my setup (in sig) and advise me what I could look at upgrading as like I say, I have the upgrade itch.

Well if you sell your 780 you'll get a fair amount back towards the cost of a 970, if you get a 970 that will do 1400/2000 like most in the reviews are doing they're around 10-20fps better than a stock 780.

Depending on how much your 780 goes for it's only a £100-£150 "upgrade".

Associate
If you have the budget, go with the 970. A better spec card.

I have always been a bang for buck type guy and that's why I've mostly had ATI/AMD cards but I think you are right, better spec for just a tad extra money.

Ticks the box for me, only question is do I wait a month or so see if prices drop a bit.

Back
Top Bottom