• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I currently have a MSI GTX 780 Gaming. I have the itch for some new shiny bits, but can't help thinking these new cards wouldn't be a noticeable jump for me?

Was looking at the GTX 970, Can anyone give me there opinion please? :)

Also if these new card aren't really worth replacing my 780 yet, please look at my setup (in sig) and advise me what I could look at upgrading as like I say, I have the upgrade itch.

Wanted to move to devil's canyon and Z97 board but don't think that's worth it for me yet either as I only really use my PC for gaming.

2500k vs 4790K with 60 games tested:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2389580

Basically no difference and since your overclocked perhaps even less.

If you got SLI one poster said here:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26876776&postcount=12
20-35% improvement however with better average fps.

Of course not everyone does dual gpu set ups.

With an 780gtx I would also say not really worth it much better off waiting till next year its clear Nvidia/AMD will have a proper next gen card hopefully then.

If you got an itch however and can sell your 780gtx for a good price the 970 might be able to be exchanged and overclocked to faster speeds. Same could be said for your 2500k if sold as a bundle if you get a decent price ;)

Associate
Well I was considering getting a R9 285 to go with my new i5 4690k build but the 970 really has thrown a spanner in the works regarding the price!
For £60 more you seem to get a much nicer card.

I really wasn't expecting Nvidia to be that competitive.
Hmmm what to do!

saying that I currently have a 4890 so either card is going to be a massive boost.

970 for sure! You will see a huge boost indeed!

Back
Top Bottom