• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
Season pass for me for now on GTX 980.

44W less power useage @ full load vs GTX 780 Ti
2C cooler GPU @ full load vs GTX 780 Ti
Price is £75-100 OTT early adopter tax :rolleyes:

These are GTX 780 Ti ish FPS with a new architecture & a few nifty new features which will most likely trickly down to GTX 7 series in a few months there is less than 5-7% difference FPS wise. GTX 980 is a great upgrade if you do not already own an GTX 780 Ti & or want to save a little on power comsumption otherwise your never going to notice much difference in real world gameplay scenarios the hype as always is overblown ;) & all the reviews take with a hefty pinch of salt Nvidia have products to push do you think anyone is going to say anything negative with millions of $ of stock to shift globally ;)

GTX 970 is probably the best value again if you do not already own something capable of GTX 780 FPS or the AMD equivalent its a no brainer for GTX5/6 series owners.

If you can currently run Crysis 3 or Metro Last Light @ 60 FPS its a lot of money to speed on an FPS differential you will barely notice ;)

Soldato

Gibbo says he got 1600Mhz out of the MSI so that's what I would go for, although them speeds are not guaranteed.

Caporegime
Hm. I ordered a 980 gtx sc for £430 but now I think I'm going to cancel. For £100 more I could have sli 970's which would almost double my sli 670 perf/a single 980.

Now keeping my eyes peeled for cheap 970's. The price gap is just too big between them both really.

Man of Honour

Personally I'd be going for the G1 as it has the highest out the box boost (which doesn't mean it overclocks the highest) and the cooler on it is rated for some serious wattage heat dissipation and quiet in use. (Initial information shows them mostly hitting clocks between ~1515 and ~1570).

Caporegime
Got to laugh... tried to order and can't because flash player borks my payment page, so I can't verify the security code.
I had the same problem but I think mine was related to Ad-Block. Tried a few minutes later with Ad-Block disabled and it worked fine although I had an email to say payment had failed on the first order which I've emailed them to cancel.

Caporegime
7 years is a fare time, most tech has doubled in price since then. The first iPhone wasn't £500+ for example.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. 7 years ago you couldn't buy a laptop for £300, for example. And TV's have come down in price, not up. Plenty more examples...

If prices grew as the market expanded, as Marine is suggesting, then flat screen TVs today should cost many thousands of pounds.

Soldato
The 8800GT could be had for £170 to £180 on release,and the GTX970 might be good for the price but it isn't a 8800GT and it soon dropped in price under to around £150. Over £200 is a lot of money to spend on a graphics for most people who are not on forums or are not hardware enthusiasts.

The GTX960 might be,but certainly not the GTX970.

Caporegime
Considering nvidia's recent prices in the last few years I'd say you're wrong. We'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

£180 is never going to get you a high end card on release these days.

Man of Honour
If you allow a little for the [noparse]price:performance[/noparse] its not hideously far away from the 8800GT mark.

Back
Top Bottom