• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 / 970 Discussion

Soldato
The problem is you are talking as a hardware enthusiast on a forum,and you think the vast majority of gamers are suddenly going to buy GTX970 cards??

Are you just getting a bit too overexcited??

If you think the vast majority of games are rocking overclocked Core i7s and £250+ graphics cards,then you are in for a rude surprise.

Its numbers of sales which made the 8800GT what it was and it was close to £150 not £250. Most people don't give a damn about inflation.

The GTX960 will where it is for most people and Nvidia will sell more of those worldwide than the GTX970 or GTX980.

Maybe Intel can charge £250 for a Core i5 4670K? They won't.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The vast majority of gamers aren't even rocking mid level cards so I don't really see what point you're trying to make.

Considering how quickly the 970's have sold I'd say a hell of a lot of people have went for them. Many upgrading from mid range older cards.

Nearly everyone has said the price on them is amazing for performance but I guess you were expecting more.

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't even seem to understand why the 8800GT was important - it sold in massive numbers since it was bloody cheap for what it was,and soon dropped to £150.

Unlike you I was here on many of the forums when it was launched(or at least lurked on many) and I had cards of that generation.

9500PRO
6600GT
7600GT
8800GT
GTX460

All under £200 for the cheapest models. All had the performance of the top end card of the previous generation.

If that is the case,we might as well consider the HD5850 an 8800GT too,since it was fast/faster than the GTX285,consumed less power,had DX11,overclocked well and was £200 to £240.

Yet it was not important in the scheme of things since it was an expensive card,and the cheaper ones like the HD5770 and GTS450 were crap.

You are just getting way too overexcited,and even if 500 people on every main forum bought one,it is nothing in the scheme of things.

It is not the 8800GT at all,and it just shows you how much people's expectations have been reduced and how much people have forgotten about the past.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No it just seems you're stuck in the past expecting modern day 8800GT performance for sub £200. It just isn't going to happen.

I'm pleased I don't live like that.

FYI: I'm not excited at all, I already have a 780 and I'm doing a mate a favour selling it on to him cheap so he can game again.

I could have quite easily jumped on the 980 hype train if I wanted that.

Associate
is the 970 faster? or 780?

It's apparantly on par with the 290x ;)

Even if it's the same speed as the 780 still choose a 970 any day. Much much lower power consumption, newer tech and much more overclocking potential.

Gibbo even said in his review an overckocked 970 can match a 980! At that price id choose a 970 anyday!

Caporegime
The problem is you are talking as a hardware enthusiast on a forum,and you think the vast majority of gamers are suddenly going to buy GTX970 cards??

Are you just getting a bit too overexcited??

If you think the vast majority of games are rocking overclocked Core i7s and £250+ graphics cards,then you are in for a rude surprise.

Its numbers of sales which made the 8800GT what it was and it was close to £150 not £250. Most people don't give a damn about inflation.

The GTX960 will where it is for most people and Nvidia will sell more of those worldwide than the GTX970 or GTX980.

Maybe Intel can charge £250 for a Core i5 4670K? They won't.

This. Only a tiny % can afford >£200 on a GFX card. Tiny. A current-gen games console is only £300.

It's not a massive difference considering how cooler quality has improved.

The 8800GT was $200+, not $270+.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2365

The 970 is $329+. Over 50% more expensive. Never going to be a mainstream card like the 8800GT was.

Soldato
No it just seems you're stuck in the past expecting modern day 8800GT performance for sub £200. It just isn't going to happen.

I'm pleased I don't live like that.

FYI: I'm not excited at all, I already have a 780 and I'm doing a mate a favour selling it on to him cheap so he can game again.

I think you are getting overexcited and again forgetting just because you are on a hardware forum,you think the vast majority of people find dropping £200+ on graphics cards a normal amount to spend,and you know that.

Its not even the past its the present too.

Caporegime
It's more than normal actually, you just seem to have an issue with it.

7 years is the past.

You're just being negative because it's not what you want. Even if they were £200 you'd still find something to moan about.

Soldato
This. Only a tiny % can afford >£200 on a GFX card. Tiny. A current-gen games console is only £300.

The 8800GT was $200+, not $270+.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2365

The 970 is $329+. Over 1/3 more expensive. Never going to be a mainstream card like the 8800GT was.

I always laugh when peole start comparing game consoles to a Pc
Its like comparing an mitsubishi EVO to a quad bike, yes you can go fast on the quad bike and it is cheaper, but you cant exactly take it to sainsburys to do the shopping after

Point is, most peole that have gaming PCs would have a half decent PC anyway, so the extra 250~ to turn it in to a gaming ng Pc is still actually less than having a nongaming PC plus a games console

Back
Top Bottom