Guide for HTPC

Soldato
OP
To use the X-Fi Crystalizer and X-Fi CMSS-3D technology

In that case, things will get ugly. You will need to have 2 connections from the htpc to the amp (HDMI and another for mp3 depending on the X-FI's outputs).

You'll have to switch between inputs on the amp and you'll have to change your sound setting on the htpc each time aswell.

You'll soon get sick of it :)

Caporegime
In that case, things will get ugly. You will need to have 2 connections from the htpc to the amp (HDMI and another for mp3 depending on the X-FI's outputs).

You'll have to switch between inputs on the amp and you'll have to change your sound setting on the htpc each time aswell.

You'll soon get sick of it :)

:(

Soldato
Im looking for how to get MP to play WebStreams, say Bloomberg & CNN.
I have added the stream like in the TV config, but nothing plays.
Do I need a TV tuner card? I wouldn't of thought I did seeing its only a webstream.

The stream works on bloomberg.com but wont play in MP

please?

Caporegime
The 876 has an Optimizer for compressed content and audio sounding fine through the HDMI.

What are you using for DVD playback?

MCE Vista supports DVD playback but does anyone use a third party software like win DVD instead of the built in one?

Soldato
Finally got my PC set up, but still having some problems, mainly on the audio front.

I ended up ditching my 3470 in favour of a 4670 so I can output 5.1 LPCM to my Sony HDMI amp, but whatever I do, I can only get 2.1 LPCM! :confused:

I followed the 'Mid range ffdshow' guide from here - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=719041 and everything bar the sound seems spot on, playing back through PowerDVD 7 for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, and MPC for DVD's, no frontend.

It's connected as follows :-

4670 via HDMI to Sony STR-DG910 HC amp, then via HDMI again to a 50" Samsung plasma.

Any help and advice much appreciated. :)

Secondly, could someone please give me an idea of how to remote control MPC through iMon? PowerDVD works perfectly, but even after loading a MPC preset file, neither the official iMon remote or my Harmony 885 do anything at all. Cheers again.

Associate
Are you using the version of PowerDVD that came bundled with a drive? If so that is normally limited to 2 channel.

You will also have problems getting the Harmony to imitate an Imon remote (see the logitech forums). It will however imitate an MCE remote just fine.

Soldato
Are you using the version of PowerDVD that came bundled with a drive? If so that is normally limited to 2 channel.

You will also have problems getting the Harmony to imitate an Imon remote (see the logitech forums). It will however imitate an MCE remote just fine.

I'm using a copy of PowerDVD 7.3 Deluxe/Ultimate that I got from the auction site, so it should be capable of more than 2.1, and I've manually set it to 6 channel in the configuration.

As for the remote, imitating the MCE remote would be perfect, as long as I can control MPC, seems strange that it works perfectly on PowerDVD though.

Soldato
The easiest way to understand what im saying is to watch a movie in something like KMPlayer or Media Player classic and then watch it back using MP's own built in player. You'll notice the image in MP is saturated and the colours are not true. Blacks appear dull and grey. This is the case for me and a few others.

Try playing a 1080p file at 24hz with AC3 sending the audio to an AV amp. Then you'll know what i mean. It just cant cope.

Dedicated players like media player classic or kmplayer are a lot better as they have been developed over many years and carry out their functions with no flaw. MP is still in development.

I use Windows Media Player Classic - Home Cinema Edition. It is essentially a modified and updated version of windows media player classic 6.4. I use it PURELY as the front end. By that i mean it is only displaying the picture. The unpacking of files is handled by Haali Media Splitter. HD files are decoded by CoreAVC. Avi/DivX/XviD is decoded by ffdshow. AC3/DTS Audio is sent straight to my AV amp untouched by AC3filter via HDMI. Mp3/Mpeg Audio is sent straight to my AV amp untouched by ffdshow via HDMI.

The player is controlled by my Harmony 1000 remote as i have mapped the keys (a "how to" is posted earlier).

you should avoid sweeping statements because the MediaPortal internal player is NOT crap @ all, providing your box is setup correctly.

i've never had this problem myself and i'm sure it's probably down to your videocard and/or codecs used which is changing the PC/TV black levels (0-255/16-235)to the wrong point on playback, the built in player in MediaPortal gives me the correct picture in terms of black levels and color ie.. the same as KMPlayer/MPC etc do.

i'd be gutted if the internal player was crap because the whole thing just isn't seamless enough using external players, and believe me i've tried them all ;)

Soldato
OP
you should avoid sweeping statements because the MediaPortal internal player is NOT crap @ all, providing your box is setup correctly.

i've never had this problem myself and i'm sure it's probably down to your videocard and/or codecs used which is changing the PC/TV black levels (0-255/16-235)to the wrong point on playback, the built in player in MediaPortal gives me the correct picture in terms of black levels and color ie.. the same as KMPlayer/MPC etc do.

i'd be gutted if the internal player was crap because the whole thing just isn't seamless enough using external players, and believe me i've tried them all ;)

I know Oxy and a few others which have had the same problem so its not just my setup. Im Using an External player- WMPC-HC and its far better than the built in one.
And there are variousthreads over at AVF which make note of it so im not the only one.

Soldato
I know Oxy and a few others which have had the same problem so its not just my setup. Im Using an External player- WMPC-HC and its far better than the built in one.
And there are variousthreads over at AVF which make note of it so im not the only one.

I have found the the PQ and reproduction is every bit as good when using the internal player of Media Portal as it is when using MPC - HC, KM Player or any other player that has been configured appropriately. The internal player integrates so well and provides some great functionality that, for me, I have found no possible advantage in not using it.

Soldato
I have found the the PQ and reproduction is every bit as good when using the internal player of Media Portal as it is when using MPC - HC, KM Player or any other player that has been configured appropriately. The internal player integrates so well and provides some great functionality that, for me, I have found no possible advantage in not using it.

+1 (thanks for the backup) ;)

photoshop - for whatever reason like i stated above you're colorspace is changing within MediaPortal which is why it looks ****, you need to figure out why and fix it because it doesn't happen to me nor most other MP users who are happy with the player.

i have my HTPC setup perfectly, the seamless operation of MP in terms of playback and remote control use just isn't possible without using the internal player......you're not getting the best out of MP right now is all i will say, external players are NOT needed.

i do know that Vista + EVR works incredibly well for me, much better than MP did under XP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom