Guide for HTPC

Soldato
These are the codecs that I'm using with my Internal Player...

I did use the AC3 filter 1.51a but I have now just kept with ffdshow and use that to pass through the DD or DTS via the SPDif to my amp.

For the TV part I use the Cyberlinks H264 / AVC decoder (PowerDVD 8)

@marscay - you are welcome, it was just a matter of appreciating what is a very capable and great player within Media Portal, for some people though they have preferences and experiences that are different to others, although I tend to feel that visual imperfections when using the internal player is more down to a seperate underlying problem with their setup than the player itself, which is what you have written. I certainly would not condemn the player as rubbish.!

Soldato
BTW - for those who are interested I noted, found by another person on another forum the screengrabs below are from my use, that there is a memory leak in MPC's decoder filter...

MPCVideoDec.ax

1GB of memory retained...

mpc16timeszt2.jpg

you can see that when a mkv file is stopped and restarted a few times there is a retention of memory for each time this happens. Compare it to using Power DVD's decoder filter...

powerdvd8nn3.jpg

the memory usage remains the same at around 268mb.

This was fixed, IIRC, at revision 1002 of the MPC's decoder filter....

new filter can be found here (1004)...

http://www.xvidvideo.ru/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,19/Itemid,11/

version history, showing fix....

http://mpc-hc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mpc-hc/?view=log

atm

atm

Associate
hope this post is in right place.

Just in process of purchasing Denon 1909 AV receiver and a set of second hand Missions. After trawling through this post I have had a thought!

Would it be possible to achieve similar results with an HTPC instead of the Receiver but hang onto the speakers?

Basically I have a 46 Panny, old SD DVD player/recorder and a Wii. All I want to do is get:
1, 7.1 surround whilst watching my dvds, watching TV and playing wii.
2, listen to my music which is ALL in my PC
3, watch iplayer etc on TV
4, get the most out of my TV so play DVDs in a PC housed BR player

that MS remote sounds the business..

look forward to responses and many thanks
atm

Soldato
Right, still been having audio problems with my 4670, and it appears to be a handshake issue.

Had a play about installing and uninstalling drivers, etc, but nothing appeared to make any difference. So I tried turning the amp off and back on whilst playing a film, no sound at all when I turned it back on. Stopped the film, started playing it again, voilà, 5.1! :D

Any ideas how to fix this please?

Also, when playing back a Blu-Ray and outputting uncompressed audio, my amp displays 48khz, the same as it does when playing back a DVD, whereas it used to display 96khz when connected to my PS3. I think this is because I told it to use reclock, how do I disassociate the 2 programs now? Cheers.

Soldato
Also, when playing back a Blu-Ray and outputting uncompressed audio, my amp displays 48khz, the same as it does when playing back a DVD, whereas it used to display 96khz when connected to my PS3. I think this is because I told it to use reclock, how do I disassociate the 2 programs now? Cheers.

Disabled reclock on PowerDVD, still 48khz, any ideas please?

Associate
So I tried to give the internal player a try, but I got some issues :p
Before I used Eventghost to configure my MCE remote but since that was configured for KMPlayer I though I'd use the builtin feature for the MCE remote, but I must be retarded because I could not figure how to map my keys under the options menu of mediaportal. I got all the functions in a tree view style, but I can't seem to be able to attach a remote key to this action?

What would be the best way to be able to use my MCE remote without having to use eventghost?

Soldato
Me again!

Fixed my HDMI handshake issues, set my Harmony 885 to turn the amp off when it turns the HTPC on, wait 20 seconds, turn the amp back on, and select the right input, works every time! :D

I'm now having tearing issues with DVD playback through MPC, there's a jagged line running horizontally across my screen approximately 1/3 of the way up, not all of the time, but often enough to be annoying! I followed the guide at Avsforums to set MPC up if that helps anyone to advise. Cheers again.

Soldato
Me again!

Fixed my HDMI handshake issues, set my Harmony 885 to turn the amp off when it turns the HTPC on, wait 20 seconds, turn the amp back on, and select the right input, works every time! :D

I'm now having tearing issues with DVD playback through MPC, there's a jagged line running horizontally across my screen approximately 1/3 of the way up, not all of the time, but often enough to be annoying! I followed the guide at Avsforums to set MPC up if that helps anyone to advise. Cheers again.

I use a 9400 IGP and in the Nvidia graphics option I make sure that V-sync is always turned on and that way I do not experience any of the tearing you are descrbing, it might help you

Associate
That explains that one then! :(

Any way around it? To be honest, I probably couldn't tell the difference anyway, but it'd be nice if it output as it's supposed to.

Not within PowerDVD no. Arcsoft's player does the same as well. A special version of the Arcsoft player supports the Asus HDAV 1.3 card which will allow you to get full True HD/DTS MA. I believe that a future version of PowerDVD will also support various HD soundcards.

Soldato
I use a 9400 IGP and in the Nvidia graphics option I make sure that V-sync is always turned on and that way I do not experience any of the tearing you are descrbing, it might help you

Thanks, that pointed me in the right direction, fixed it now.

I've set vsnyc in the Ati driver, but also in MPC-HC, enabling 'Direct3D Fullscreen' as shown here - http://wiki.digital-digest.com/index.php/Media_Player_Classic:_Hints_and_Tips

Unfortunately, I can only find this option in the Home Cinema version of MPC, and not the ordinary version, but it'll do for now, cheers again for the vsync pointer. :)

Soldato
More problems, lol!

Trying to play a .mkv file in MPC, and it stutters like mad!

Using the following codecs -

CCCP with Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema
CoreAVC
ffdshow
reclock

I've probably got it set up wrong somewhere, but haven't got a clue where! :confused:

Soldato
OP
More problems, lol!

Trying to play a .mkv file in MPC, and it stutters like mad!

Using the following codecs -

CCCP with Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema
CoreAVC
ffdshow
reclock

I've probably got it set up wrong somewhere, but haven't got a clue where! :confused:

Whilst playing the file, have a look at the CPU usage and the temps.

Soldato
Whilst playing the file, have a look at the CPU usage and the temps.

Thanks, will have a look in the morning. CPU usage might be high, but I can't imagine temperatures will be since I stuck this on! :D

It starts stuttering immediately too, so I assume it's CPU usage rather than temperatures, does that imply that the wrong codecs are being used?

Soldato
OP
Thanks, will have a look in the morning. CPU usage might be high, but I can't imagine temperatures will be since I stuck this on! :D

It starts stuttering immediately too, so I assume it's CPU usage rather than temperatures, does that imply that the wrong codecs are being used?

It could be a number of things to be honest.

In MPC, have you turned off the internal codecs so that it only uses the default system codecs (which are the ones you have installed)?

Best way to check is to play a file, right click in the WMP window and go to filters. It will list all the codecs that are being used to play the file.

IS ffdshow handling all your audio aswell? I ask as you have not listed AC3filter.....

Soldato
I went off the guide on AVSForums here which didn't mention AC3filter, I assumed Spdifer and reclock must do the same thing as AC3filter?

I'll need to change MPC's output before I check the filters too, I had to set it to Direct3D Fullscreen mode to stop the awful tearing in DVD's.

Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom