Guy wins $450 million on lottery.

Caporegime
I’d ball out of control but that’s because I’m not particularly looking forward to old age, once I get into my 50’s then spinocerebellar ataxia is going to set in and I’ll not be able to walk unassisted after a few years and other minor annoyances.

Caporegime
So are we now arguing about the pendantry over the choice over one word when I have written paragraphs of “disclaimers”?

I wasn't being pedantic... you said if someone else wins the jackpot your gamble would be "completely ruined" - when in plenty of cases it wouldn't be. I was just explaining why I replied to that post, that's all. :)

Caporegime
I wasn't being pedantic... you said if someone else wins the jackpot your gamble would be "completely ruined" - when in plenty of cases it wouldn't be, that's all :)

So that’s a yes. Just we are clear because this is exactly what we are doing. Lol :p

if your plan is to win 400 million and now only end up losing half or 2/3rd of that. I’d say losing 200 million is plan ruined.

No, it’s not ruined as in financially ruined, as in because you bought every ticket, you are guaranteed 100% to win, except now you are getting only half what your plan is. So goal = failed, ergo plan ruined. The goal is to win it all, the goal isn’t to just win since winning is a certainty.

Caporegime
So that’s a yes. Just we are clear because this is exactly what we are doing. Lol :p

if your plan is to win 400 million and now only end up losing half or 2/3rd of that. I’d say losing 200 million is plan ruined.

No, it’s not ruined as in financially ruined, as in because you bought every ticket, you are guaranteed 100% to win, except now you are getting only half what your plan is. So goal = failed, ergo plan ruined. The goal is to win it all, the goal isn’t to just win since winning is a certainty.

The people who do this are well aware of how the lottery works and the possible outcomes... they're placing a bet they've considered carefully based on the variety of possible outcomes... - the possibility of someone sharing the jackpot is something they'll consider. It doesn't necessarily have to result in a loss either. You're aiming to get all the combinations of the prizes including the jackpot and you're hoping it doesn't get split too many ways... you seem to be starting with the assumption that the plan is to not have the jackpot split, but that isn't something you have control over nor that you can "plan" to achieve in the first place.

Caporegime
The people who do this are well aware of how the lottery works and the possible outcomes... they're placing a bet they've considered carefully based on the variety of possible outcomes... - the possibility of someone sharing the jackpot is something they'll consider. It doesn't necessarily have to result in a loss either.

No kidding, all of which I already pointed out already...

Soldato
in b4 he's broke in like 5-6 years or dead. His age is a factor in that too.

You can google "Curse of winning the lottery" explains why coming into large sums of money like that can genuinely ruin your life.

Or he may be smart.... can go either way.

Caporegime
So the plan isn't necessarily ruined then! :) That's all I was saying... it was a simple point, I don't understand why I then get repeatedly quoted by you.

Ruined as you don’t get maximum reward. Not ruined as in you make a loss.

Happy?

Pedantry to a whole new level! Lol

I quote you because you quoted me first...read back here and you’ll see.

Last edited:
Soldato
in b4 he's broke in like 5-6 years or dead. His age is a factor in that too.

You can google "Curse of winning the lottery" explains why coming into large sums of money like that can genuinely ruin your life.

Or he may be smart.... can go either way.

I'd imagine the smarter ones don't go public with the news...straight to facebook!

is anonymity an option for lotto winners in the US?

Soldato
I'd pay off my parents mortgages, give them enough to not need to work anymore.

And I'd buy a studio apartment in Tokyo and move to Japan.

Soldato
I'd buy a giant ant-eater and walk it round London while dressed like King Henry VIII.

I'd also try and resurrect the dinosaurs.

Oh, and I'd also become the biggest man in the world and be covered in 14 carratt gold!

hqdefault.jpg

Caporegime
Ruined as you don’t get maximum reward. Not ruined as in you make a loss.

Happy?

Pedantry to a whole new level! Lol

I quote you because you quoted me first...read back here and you’ll see.

You've repeatedly quoted me for pointing out a point that seems rather silly for you to try and argue... but now you're claiming that the gamble is "completely ruined", even if you win millions, just because you didn't get the maximum possible amount of winnings... that is rather dubious.

Also, if someone else win the jackpot, your gamble will be completely ruined.

here is a real life example if you're interested

a syndicate invested 5 million and attempted to buy up all the tickets in the Virginia lottery... they didn't quite manage to carry out their plan (they got 5 million out of a possible 7 million combinations) they did however win - the jackpot was 27 million... supposing the jackpot was split with another winner... is it really reasonable to say that the gamble was "completely ruined"

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/25/u...ge-bets-in-lottery.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

There was a story for a couple in a local state lottery in the US I read a while ago too (but can't find now) who collaborated with a shop owner and did have to split the jackpot... you get a point, especially with rollovers, where splitting the jackpot/having two winners is the most probable outcome (like up to 80% chance of a split pot) - they'd be well aware of this... it doesn't "completely ruin" the gamble.

Caporegime
You've repeatedly quoted me for pointing out a point that seems rather silly for you to try and argue... but now you're claiming that the gamble is "completely ruined", even if you win millions, just because you didn't get the maximum possible amount of winnings... that is rather dubious.

here is a real life example if you're interested

a syndicate invested 5 million and attempted to buy up all the tickets in the Virginia lottery... they didn't quite manage to carry out their plan (they got 5 million out of a possible 7 million combinations) they did however win - the jackpot was 27 million... supposing the jackpot was split with another winner... is it really reasonable to say that the gamble was "completely ruined"

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/25/u...ge-bets-in-lottery.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

There was a story for a couple in a local state lottery in the US I read a while ago too (but can't find now) who collaborated with a shop owner and did have to split the jackpot... you get a point, especially with rollovers, where splitting the jackpot/having two winners is the most probable outcome (like up to 80% chance of a split pot) - they'd be well aware of this... it doesn't "completely ruin" the gamble.

And you are saying you are not being pedant ?

Jesus H Christ.

You win, you are right, lol 100%

Can sleep happy now?

Good.

p.s. you quoted me, so I replied, if you stop quoting me then I would stop quoting you.

p.p.s. I did not read that link (I clicked it, it's like an essay….like i am going to read that over a small pedantry over a single word) btw because frankly it is a waste of time, any reply apart from total surrender will result in more pedantry from you it seems.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If I won $170M then I would make a film. This is not a joke, I would do it and it would be rad. Then I'd post a message to a discussion forum, months or even years later, talking about how I would watch this film.

And none of you would know.

Caporegime
p.p.s. I did not read any of that or the link (I clicked it, it's like an essay….like i am going to read that over a small pedantry over a single word) btw because frankly it is a waste of time, any reply apart from total surrender will result in more pedantry from you it seems.

You still keep on quoting me for whatever reason... I've merely explained my position. I wasn't offering the article in order to be pedantic over a single word but rather to illustrate an example of these lottery syndicates I'm referring to. All I've done is to explain why I quoted you (which should have been rather obvious) and then rely to the various follow up postings with some explanation.

Caporegime
You still keep on quoting me for whatever reason... I've merely explained my position. I wasn't offering the article in order to be pedantic over a single word but rather to illustrate an example of these lottery syndicates I'm referring to. All I've done is to explain why I quoted you (which should have been rather obvious) and then rely to the various follow up postings with some explanation.

You win !!! Go to sleep !!!

Back
Top Bottom