***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Soldato
I seem to have developed a butt-wink in the 4 weeks I took off training due to holidays and lack of money for gym membership in 2 locations.

Been trying to foam roll quads, hams, and calves as well as do some stretching but I still get back pain as a result of this wink at any weight above 70 kgs - I was squatting 110kgs 5x5 before the break. Is there anything else I can do? I appreciate this is probably a question you've had a dozen times or more but Im a bit pressed for time so cant really go through each post :(

I also feel I might hyper-extend my back (could this contribute to the wink?) a few inches after breaking at the hips, despite starting with my hips beneath my shoulders. Any ideas how to stop this?

Obviously a video may be more useful than this collection of words, and so I shall try and get one soon!

Associate
Nice stuff, buddy.

It is interesting that I can see exactly what you are saying. :)

I wonder what a pair of lifting shoes would do for you...? :D

Have considered it but should I not really sort out my mobility shortfalls in the long run?

In4high heels. Have you played about with your stance width a lot?

Eh not sure I get what you are asking?

Associate
Hello,

Quick question, does anybody know of some good exercises I can to to build my upper body? Mainly just my arms, with just using dumbells and a rowing machine?

Thanks

Soldato
Oly lifting shoes = affectionately known as high heels

I don't really see them as a crutch to hide mobility (Oly lifters are more mobile than all of us, after all and they wear 'em) - the main issue is justifying the expense if you don't squat all the time. Putting them on makes you want to squat DEEPAH! anyway, so mobility work won't go away, although they do add a little uprightedness to your form by default.

Caporegime
You'll out grow a set of dumbells in a month no doubt. Yoi can do squats without equipment but again you'll be limited in terms of progression.

Why the limited equipment? Can you not get to a gym?

Soldato
Hey guys, took some of your advice mainly from the FB group and started right from the bar to try and get my form right.

Still struggling to get my back straight as i would like it. Hopefully an improvement to the past vids.

Feb uploads:

March uploads:

Man of Honour
You are setting up with a curved lumbar and this, I suspect, means you pull through it as opposed to driving the floor away with your heels.

Keep thst chest up, too.

Also remember I can't deadlift for toffee, love or money. :D

Soldato
Yeah, this is the main problem i have. I am sitting my ass down as much as possible but my lumber just won't straighten up. Physically won't go in. Is this because my chest isn't up enough? or is there some stiffness somewhere that i need to work on?

Cheers dude.

Man of Honour
OP
The videos in the OP will help.

Set up with a flat back before you touch the bar.

Don't sit your hips down that low.

Squeeze the bar off the floor rather than yanking it.

Don't rush the movement, feel the positions.

Soldato
Sorry for the late reply dude! <3 pls 4gif.

Yeah i think i have been setting up totally wrong. Looking at all the advice you guys are giving, i'm setting up with a huge sloping back ' / '. Will rework this asap. When you say squeeze the bar, do you actually mean squeeze the bar? Yes, i'm actually asking this..

Vids from Yesterday morning.

Weighted...

Upon reflection i can see how terrible this is.

Soldato
In addition to everything else mentioned in the group:

You can probably notice that things look a bit disjointed because you have already fully extended your legs before having brought the bar up past your thighs/knees. Which gives your lift a very pronounced 'pull' with your back which is being exaggerated slightly by overextending/hyperextending at the top of the lift.

As your hips connect with the bar is when you legs want to finish extending.

Work down from an RDL as this will teach you the proper hinge & positioning.

Edit: Actually having re-watched these if you didn't hyper extend at the top these wouldn't be half as bad as they seem. (They're really not bad so don't take that literally).

Back
Top Bottom