***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
OP
Legs:

Chest:

Theres more to be released. Helps that the demo guy is lean as ****!

Oh, wow - that front squat demo almost had me breaking my monitor...

Actually Really?
It was fine example of a front squat with CG.
Yeah it was a poor front squat demo.

I've not had time to watch the videos fully, but I wouldn't suggest that anyone use them as a reference. The videos in the OP have been chosen specifically for their high quality.

Soldato
Argggh. I'm so annoyed.

I filmed myself doing some squats this morning and my technique has somehow become awful again. My lower back is curving in throughout the movement, hugely exaggerated lumbar spine and I'm leaning forward too much.

Am I trying to lift too much? I've been cutting for the last month and have done exactly the same sets/reps - maybe I've lost the strength to do the sets properly.

Soldato
This is at the bottom of my lowest set @70kg. In terms of depth I usually go a tiny bit lower but my legs were screaming from the previous sets.

It looks like I need to be more upright but surely that will exacerbate the exaggeration even more?

As with my deadlifts - I'm not experiencing any back pain during or post workout as I used to before you guys gave me some pointers.

http://i61.tinypic.com/wiqmp.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Argggh. I'm so annoyed.

I filmed myself doing some squats this morning and my technique has somehow become awful again. My lower back is curving in throughout the movement, hugely exaggerated lumbar spine and I'm leaning forward too much.

Am I trying to lift too much? I've been cutting for the last month and have done exactly the same sets/reps - maybe I've lost the strength to do the sets properly.

What helped me:
Hip/ankle flexibility
Opening hips before I descend so I can 'drop my nuts down'
Doing front squats - you HAVE to be upright for those otherwise RIP wrists/arms if you haven't already dumped the bar
Finding the stance width and toe angle that suited my hip structure (still ongoing!)
Oly shoes

Soldato
Unfortunately I don't have the videos for the squat anymore. Somnam I am forever trying to work on my mobility/flexibility. I think I may just be trying to lift too much weight.

Following advice on here last week, despite making a conscious effort to bring the bar closer in at the start of the move it still isn't coming up entirely vertically. I've also adjusted the angle of my back at the start of the move but, again, it looks like my hips are coming up too fast. I'm thinking perhaps I need to lower the weight and put more initial drive through my legs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0esFNSKiCpU&feature=youtu.be

Caporegime
Unfortunately I don't have the videos for the squat anymore. Somnam I am forever trying to work on my mobility/flexibility. I think I may just be trying to lift too much weight.

Following advice on here last week, despite making a conscious effort to bring the bar closer in at the start of the move it still isn't coming up entirely vertically. I've also adjusted the angle of my back at the start of the move but, again, it looks like my hips are coming up too fast. I'm thinking perhaps I need to lower the weight and put more initial drive through my legs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0esFNSKiCpU&feature=youtu.be

Your legs are locking out, then your SLDL'ing the weight up. Basically you're lifting your butt up first

Soldato
Your legs are locking out, then your SLDL'ing the weight up. Basically you're lifting your butt up first

For the last set I took some weight off and tried to stop my butt coming up first. I didn't film it but I felt it much more in my hams during the lift and it just felt more natural.

I'm absolutely fixated on trying to co-ordinate everything at the moment. Maybe I'm best of locking my back at start and focusing on keeping the bar coming up as close as possible. It doesn't seem instinctive to me to drag up from the head first but when I consciously try to do this it seems to result in stoping the butt.

Caporegime
When you begin pulling you want your hips and torso to effectively be at the same angle until it all needs to lock out (someone correct me if wrong)

At the moment you start pulling, your head stays at the same point, your butt comes up, then you sldl it.

The danger will be that the load is straight on your lower back, if that actually causes problems or not I can't really say as everyone is different - This is where I'm hoping someone with more knowledge in body mechanics can help :p

Soldato
I just stumbled across Benny C's 180/200kg vid and compared it to my vid frame by frame. The errors you guys have pointed out are much more obvious now. I'll try and emulate what he's doing next time. I don't know what the hell is going on with my legs though they seem to lock out then come forward again.

Thug
Soldato
If I take a couple of videos from the gym, would someone mind looking over them for me. Starting the "Starting Strength" program, to ease myself into it, but with a focus on long term mass gain. :)

Soldato
If I take a couple of videos from the gym, would someone mind looking over them for me. Starting the "Starting Strength" program, to ease myself into it, but with a focus on long term mass gain. :)

Hi, please can you send me your address and pay for the product you said you would buy.

Soldato
Form check for today's deadlifts. This looks much better to me, my hips seem to be rising at the correct pace now and although I've got my fingers crossed please be honest if I'm still doing it wrong :D

Stuck with 100kg for most of my working sets, feel comfortable with this.

As you can see form really deteriorates at 130kg. This was after a good few sets at 100kg but I felt it in my back immediately after. I was doing 150 not so long ago before I started cutting so god knows with what technique I was getting the bar off the ground back then.

Last edited:
Soldato
The gym was a bit of a construction site this morning and it was fairly busy, with the limited space all the mats were in use so I had no choice.

Back
Top Bottom