***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
OP
My emotions when watching went like this: D: :eek: :) D:

Your back is kind of straight, but not straight enough. You can tell this because you are having to extend your lumbar slightly at lockout. The second rep looks like it was going to end up worse. I'm a little concerned about what your deads would look like at heavier weights.

In terms of long term spinal position reprogramming, it's not ok to bend your back like that when you bend down to pick something up. Hinge at the hip and keep your spine straight, from the base of your spine all the way up to the top of your neck.

Watch the deadlifting video in the OP.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks,

So go down to pick the bar up with a straight back before going down? Don't straighten up when I'm hanging over the bar?

I assume it isn't *too* bad on the way up?

To be fair, I very rarely go above a 130 when doing rep work.

Caporegime
I believe he's mainly pointing at the back bend when you are setting up, you should try and bend at the hips more but keep the back straight. (correct me if I'm wrong ice) and presumably bend with your knees a bit if your hips doesn't bend that much? :p

Caporegime
Can I get some crituque here, it seems ok and I don't (or rarely get any pains as such) but be nice to get the thumbs up or down if need be. Only the one rep at 130kg, so pretty close to my max (155kg).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3oTgy7rBo4&feature=g-upl

Gotta love youtube. It has recommended other clips with similar titles, one of which is this bird:
- Why the hell would she put that, and many other, vid online?!

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks,

So go down to pick the bar up with a straight back before going down? Don't straighten up when I'm hanging over the bar?

I assume it isn't *too* bad on the way up?

To be fair, I very rarely go above a 130 when doing rep work.
No, it wasn't terrible. It is bad enough to warrant some work fixing your flexibility problems and lack of spinal stability.

Your back being bent like that without any load isn't a bad thing in itself, but it highlights that your hip hinge motor pattern is severely broken. Your glutes are weak, your core is weak, you don't know how to engage all of those or your hamstrings, and you can't feel what your back is doing.

sigma had similar problems but he has made some good progress.
I believe he's mainly pointing at the back bend when you are setting up, you should try and bend at the hips more but keep the back straight. (correct me if I'm wrong ice) and presumably bend with your knees a bit if your hips doesn't bend that much? :p
Correct up until the last point! ;)

That's what people who don't hip hinge properly do anyway, and it causes them to be very quad dominant at the expense of their glutes and hams.
Gotta love youtube. It has recommended other clips with similar titles, one of which is this bird:
- Why the hell would she put that, and many other, vid online?!
I don't even know what that is! Strange girl.

Caporegime
WOW, thanks a lot. I honestly wouldn't have known any of that. To ME, it looks and feels good.

Would you mind giving me tips, starter points on what I should be looking at to improve these areas?

Glad I put a video up now.

Man of Honour
OP
WOW, thanks a lot. I honestly wouldn't have known any of that. To ME, it looks and feels good.

Would you mind giving me tips, starter points on what I should be looking at to improve these areas?

Glad I put a video up now.
The first step is to strengthen your core and stretch your hamstrings. Also try to be conscious of keeping your back straight 24/7, it doesn't matter if you're sitting or standing, and particularly if you're bending down.
Fair game ice.

But yeah, I wouldn't bend down with my legs straight, as that would make me bend my back in ways that are not healthy...?
You should be able to get to at least 90 degrees of hip hinge without bending your back. If you can't, you haven't been stretching your hammies enough.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm also betting that you can't get a 90 degree bend without your back bending ;)

Lie on your back. How high can you lift one leg?

Caporegime
I'm also betting that you can't get a 90 degree bend without your back bending ;)

Lie on your back. How high can you lift one leg?

Oh I've got no issues with admitting my hamstrings and connecting muscles are terrible, I've never had good flexibilty...Infact my whole body is terrible and always has been.

I do however stretch them each morning and workout. Problem I'm finding is i'm spending 15 mins or so just stretching when I get to the gym now :o

Also, my shoulder is being a right douche today...So much so i'm not sure whether to do my scheduled bench press weight today. (think its my delt) :( Crapness

Soldato
Oh I've got no issues with admitting my hamstrings and connecting muscles are terrible, I've never had good flexibilty...Infact my whole body is terrible and always has been.

I do however stretch them each morning and workout. Problem I'm finding is i'm spending 15 mins or so just stretching when I get to the gym now :o

Also, my shoulder is being a right douche today...So much so i'm not sure whether to do my scheduled bench press weight today. (think its my delt) :( Crapness

Which hamstring ones you do? Would be interested to know :)

Caporegime
Which hamstring ones you do? Would be interested to know :)

Er, lay on my back, and pull one leg towards my chest. This is primarily for my back, but it helps with the hams a bit as well especially when there are doms present.

Then again on my back I push through with one leg while it has a band over the foot, and i'm holding on to the band....if that makes sense :p

Starting to use a ball on my lower glute, which should help somewhat...and when I get my foam roller in the post i'll start using that

I do however, need to hit my hamstrings more directly, and more often

Soldato
Er, lay on my back, and pull one leg towards my chest. This is primarily for my back, but it helps with the hams a bit as well especially when there are doms present.

Then again on my back I push through with one leg while it has a band over the foot, and i'm holding on to the band....if that makes sense :p

Starting to use a ball on my lower glute, which should help somewhat...and when I get my foam roller in the post i'll start using that

I do however, need to hit my hamstrings more directly, and more often

That sounds like the one I do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol0r8lUqB-Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=271s

Caporegime
Yep, that's the one.

I do need to hit them a lot harder, they're one thing that's always been tight on me.

Another thing to work on would be...I'm not even sure how to describe it! Basically my arms don't allow me to get in to front squat position very easily :p

Soldato
Decided to record my 122.5kgx3, just to make sure im close to doing it right before things get even heavier :o

Chin is still a little off, just trying to remember to keep it down.

Back
Top Bottom