***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
OP
The more I train and the more I learn, the more I dislike Rip's coaching. Some of what he says is fine, but then he comes out with some really odd things as well.

It's fairly standard for a "Rip squat" to end up like this (some mild swearies):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbNAc4_9pn4

Mark Bell does a good job of ripping that to shreds.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yea, he does say some funky stuff which I guess is easier to discard when you know quite a bit already.

I see a lot of heavy squats like that video you posted, they seem to go too far forward and almost double over.

Associate
You should be able to watch those and see what's wrong based on the advice you have previously been given.

Your back bends, you aren't using your glutes and you need to stick your arse out on the way down. Learn to brace your core better and those things will improve to some degree.

Soldato
If I stick my arse out the bar hits my knees :\ last week I stuck my arse out more and the lower back must have taken the weight instead of the glutes because my back was killing the next day :\

Tbh I think my core is still dead from yesterday but I had no real choice but to go again today.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Look at how you stand, for about 20 secs, before you reach down to the bar. Nice and straight.
For some reason when you are at the top of the deadlift, you don't seem anywhere near as straight, looks still bent over a little bit.

Soldato
That's a good point. At the top of the lift I was more concerned about how to hip hinge so in hindsight I guess I was too focused on that and I took my eye off the ball a little.

Also, I'm trying not to over-extend (after reading that it is a bad thing) but it's hard to tell how straight I am unless I look at the video. Will write it down to remember for the next session.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think your shirt makes your back look worse than it is, are you able to tuck it in for a rep or something?

And as morba said, make sure you get straight at the top :) i know its hard to judge the over extension...so maby damn queues isnt there? :p

Soldato
I think I should be able to tuck in, yes.

Just watched the 95kg in full-screen mode, looks pretty bad? Core was pretty dead by that point so should have probably stuck to 90kg. 90kg didn't actually feel all that bad though, which is why I thought I'd increase the weight. Will try 92.5kg for all sets on Fri.

Man of Honour
OP
There is just something fundamental that isn't clicking. I've seen videos where you nail it, but you can't seem to make it stick between sessions or even sets.

I've got a few things in mind to try.

Caporegime
Is 95kg getting towards your RM?

If so, just knock it down a touch a concentrate on that for a bit? say 85ish?

I did my pb+some the other night, but i'm going to work on 80/85/90kg (not decided yet :p) sets for this week and see how things go.

Back
Top Bottom