***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Soldato
here is a classic rippetoe gets it wrong video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

he is advocating driving the squat from the hip and not keeping the chest up. He is close on getting you to good morning instead of squat. Hip drive is essential but should be done by driving through the glutes and posterior chain not through keeping the chest down and just moving the hips up first.

Soldato
Tox isn't rehabbing, he was looking to avoid relapse, and if he is not in to power lifting and more just wanting to lift to improve physique and avoid injury then sumo's are a perfectly reasonable alternative.

Associate
That's because most people on the internet are idiots.

It isn't worth my time to break it down (I think I've posted about it before), but he is hilariously wrong on many things.

He does coach some things well, but people shouldn't have to filter out the **** to get to the good stuff.

What do you think of the way Dave Tate teaches bench? Are those good videos?

Soldato
Thanks everyone for the advice. Will keep working on it and post new videos of hopefully improved form.

Honestly, I'm not convinced you've watched any of the videos in the OP. I told you to do this bloody ages ago! You have to actually want to learn enough to put the effort in bud, otherwise you're wasting your time.

I have buddy, I've watched them. In addition I've watched a lot of other videos and read a lot of things. I'm often coming across contradictory information, different people recommending performing exercises in different ways. So I've been trying all these different things to see which ones are best and which actually achieve the desired effect.

Soldato
Save yourself some time and focus on the advice given by ice and the videos he has posted.

Cheers, I'm looking through them again.

One question for you guys: How do I maintain tension in my glutes when doing exercises like deadlifting and squatting? How is it possible to flex/tense your glutes for example when descending in a squat?

Soldato
Cheers, I'm looking through them again.

One question for you guys: How do I maintain tension in my glutes when doing exercises like deadlifting and squatting? How is it possible to flex/tense your glutes for example when descending in a squat?

I do it without thinking, but i also keep reading guides like on Stronglifts and in the OP, i never stop reading the directions nor do i stop watching Squat technique, same goes for the Deadlift, OHP, BBR and BP.

Practice with an empty bar or with a little weight, it's what i do every Sunday.

uv

uv

Soldato
I've done my lumber in with rushed deads (I've learned the hard way), and now I have to sit out of squats, deads and BOR whilst doing SL5x5.

Anything I can do to replace these for a while until my back has had decent time to heal?

I thought it was better, until I bailed at the bottom of a squat when I felt a twinge - too late, I was in agony for another two days :(

Going to give it at least a week, and I'm currently thinking goblet squats or BSS so I can do squats without back movement. Single dumbell rows over a bench to replace BOR?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Plank form. Topless to help see what's going on.
So first thing I noticed is my head position and upper back. A few seconds in I remember to active the scaps so that's why I drop a little lower. A little movement as I try to control breathing with full core pressure.

Rollout form.
Was tricky on carpet, took a little effort to get it moving. LOL @ the upper back position, all dat bench tightness.

uv

uv

Soldato
UV: split squats and heavy goblets helped me when I couldn't squat. Do you have access to a cable machine? Otherwise strict dB rows will work.

yeah, I've got a CF475 w/ lat pull-dwn :)

Did some goblets and DB rows tonight, will do some BSS next session.

Man of Honour
OP
I've done my lumber in with rushed deads (I've learned the hard way), and now I have to sit out of squats, deads and BOR whilst doing SL5x5.

Anything I can do to replace these for a while until my back has had decent time to heal?

I thought it was better, until I bailed at the bottom of a squat when I felt a twinge - too late, I was in agony for another two days :(

Going to give it at least a week, and I'm currently thinking goblet squats or BSS so I can do squats without back movement. Single dumbell rows over a bench to replace BOR?
BSS and DB work is the way forward here. But work on your core control/hip hinge too.
Plank form. Topless to help see what's going on.
So first thing I noticed is my head position and upper back. A few seconds in I remember to active the scaps so that's why I drop a little lower. A little movement as I try to control breathing with full core pressure.

Rollout form.
Was tricky on carpet, took a little effort to get it moving. LOL @ the upper back position, all dat bench tightness.
Plank good.

Roll outs fine, but make sure you start and finish with your hips further back, and initiate the movement from your hips with more PPT.

Soldato
Did some planks last night and this morning for the first time, man they're hard, could only hold them for around 45 seconds.

I have an ab wheel too, so i'll start doing roll outs as well.

Back
Top Bottom