***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Associate
Quick question regarding OHP with Dumbells...

How far down should you bring the elbows? I usually look to make a full ROM and bring the elbow down well past 90' to pretty much 45' before pushing back up to the top

It was discussed yesterday about only bringing it to 90' and I just wondered what the views here are?

Man of Honour
How do people feel about overhead shrugs? I find they're great for some lower trap work, but overall trap work, and thoracic erectors as well as core stability.

To aid help with my shoulder rehab I've added some of them too and seems to be helping.

Bearing in mind that I'm a vehement opposer of conventional shrugs - this is quite a revelation.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I've never really looked into them. I'm not sure about moving the shoulders up and away from the body in that position, may be useful to oly lifting?

Man of Honour
I've never really looked into them. I'm not sure about moving the shoulders up and away from the body in that position, may be useful to oly lifting?

They're great for Oly lifting - but general shoulder health I feel they have a lot going for them. :)

Add to that YTWs etc... Makes for a good shoulder work.

Overhead shrugs? They sound well odd :p

So do you - but doesn't make them any less worthwhile ;)

Seems initially as though I'm the only one who's doing them....

Associate
Noob Q : Flat bench press - I was told by my PT to bring the bar down on to my chest but have since read not to do that "this causes undeed stress on shoulder joints and takes tension away from the pec muscles..."

Whats proper form here?

Man of Honour
Sorry for the flippant answer - it's important that your elbows aren't flared out, and that you do bring the bar to your chest. A nice arch in the back, and lats engaged, and scaps activated throughout the lift. Look up at the ceiling. When unracking the bar should be level with your head-ish, and the bar should come down and touch the chest at it's biggest shape.

Man of Honour
OP
Is your PT suggesting that you don't actually make contact with your chest?

Although you definitely.shouldn't bounce it, the bar should touch your chest. Try doing a powerlifting style pause and tell me it takes the tension off your pecs ;)

Edit: lol

Back
Top Bottom