***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
OP
Yes, knees out and lumbar control are the obvious problems. They are somewhat related, but coaching the finer points of this is a little tricky over the internet.

You need to be generating a lot more stiffness with your core.

These are relevant, despite being primarily about deadlifting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjbvf0P0bas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-DJu0bEVPw

You need to learn how to hip hinge effectively, which means to move around your hips with your spine neutral and completely locked down. This involves lats, glute med., and core. You should feel like you're sitting onto your hamstrings and glutes, rather than folding over to make depth.

Could you show me a video of you doing RDLs as described in the OP? These are fairly awesome for exposing and correcting these faults. A guy I'm working with has used these a lot and now has pretty sexy technique when before I had to cover my eyes watching him :p

Man of Honour
OP
I agree with mrthingy's assessment.

Your spine, and by extension your torso, should be a static unit. Throwing your head and shoulders back at the top of the lift indicate that this isn't currently the case, and that you need to a more effective hip hinge.

You'll also benefit from some additional anterior core work.

But overall, not bad!

Man of Honour
OP
Explains the rib that's sticking out of my sternum slightly :p:eek:

Tackled a front squat with a clean grip today. I have the flexability, no doubt about that (tight lats & triceps from a recent workout) didn't help but it's felt comfortable apart from where I had positioned the bar.

Does anyone have a good guide as to bar positioning for the front squat? It ended up being sat behind the insertion for the front delt so was on my collar bone slightly. I felt like I was pushing my shoulders forward while pushing my elbows up. I'll focus on keeping them back next time if this is correct.

100KG felt perfectly comfortable weight wise, and I don't doubt I have a powerful front squat to unlock but correct positioning is holding me back at the moment.

I know shoulder external rotation is also important for comfort, my right shoulder did begin to fold towards the end of the set which was the reason I stopped.
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/12/...houlder-and-trunk-stability-relationship.html

^very cool vid

There are obviously some good external rotation vids on that site.
So I was having significant lower back rounding during barbell rows the other day that felt very snapworthy.

I think this was partly due to a bit too much weight and a weakened back as it came at the end of my routine but my Posterior chain felt very tight, particularly hamstrings which may of been the main cause for bad form. Is there anything I should concentrate on such as stretches to correct this or anything else I can do?
Stretch your hammies and glutes, learn to hip hinge (useful videos under deadlifts in the OP).

Man of Honour
OP
I've been pondering my bench press. I've realised that I'm mostly training my anterior delts because of my elbows being too wide. Not a problem to have big manly shoulders, but ruining them in the process wouldn't be ideal.

Action plan:
Dump DB press until my technique is better (encourages me to open my elbows).
Concentrate on barbell for a few weeks with a manageable weight.
KEEP ELBOWS IN.
Concentrate on bracing core and planting feet on the floor.
Eh?

You know what's wrong with your form, so fix it.

:confused:

Man of Honour
OP
Fair enough :)

In terms of a plan, work on the last two points. These principals have carry-over to everything. Make sure you're generating tension in your mid/upper back and lats.

Man of Honour
OP
You have some slack in your core. This is evidenced by your lower back pump, because you should be able to avoid that even with some positional faults.

I don't know if you'll see what I'm talking about (it's a very subtle movement with you), but sometimes in trying to bring your hips through fast at the top you're inducing some lumbar movement and your knees come forward.

I've seen this a lot recently in my gym, and I think it's just people being stuck in a quad dominant movement pattern.

Try keeping the weight on your heels and imagine the movement as one big squeeze from your hips.

Man of Honour
OP
^ comes from, in part, weakness in anterior core.

The fact that you managed to not throw your bar at that guy is remarkable.

Man of Honour
OP
Curling UNDER?! What is this witchcraft?

Possible nothing, but that's definitely strange, which could (often does) mean that there is something strange going on elsewhere.

Vids from the side?

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah lifting the toes is a good way to cue weight on the heels and posterior chain usage. Only as a training cue though. In general, more foot on the floor = more betterer

Man of Honour
OP
It's early days, but I like it too.

You had me worried a bit with the 170, I actually thought it was quite bad! The rest was nice though, definitely worth a working on it for a month or so to see where it gets you.

Man of Honour
OP
Did you try to brace your core as you went back? Trying to reclaim position once it's broken isn't the same thing.

It's likely that there is something tight in your hips.

Man of Honour
OP
Dat short femurs

Bro, get on some high bar squats and ensure you have proper ankle range for joocy Chinese weightlifter quads.

Man of Honour
OP
Looks okay for the most part then?

I've short legs & arms and a long body!

Some errector strengthening/endurance work along with some general hip, glute & hamstring mobility & stretching and some planks/pallof press is on the agenda.

I'll take a look in to high bar squats and my ankle mobility.

Thanks.
Tbh I'd be able to judge better with a squat.

You'd benifit from the core work I posted in nightmare's log though.
Just thought I'd fix that for you. ;)
Also this!

Man of Honour
OP
I'll try and comment on your individual vids shortly chaps, but for now the bros have covered most bits well <3

However...
Search on youtube for "Dave Tate's Six-Week Bench Press Cure" and so you think you can bench.

Also watch these.

Also eat moar
Rippetoe is incredibly hit and miss, to the point that I really can't recommend any of his videos. For every good thing there are bad things, and there are just MUCH more reliable resources available.

This may surprise people as he's seen as such a guru, but nobody at higher levels of lifting/coaching hold him in such esteem.

Back
Top Bottom