***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
OP
Looks solid, although seems like your shoulders are ahead of the bar, same issue I seem to suffer with however I hav no idea how to corrc thi. Jam trying a wider stance but I am lot shorter then you.
I think it's a little deceptive in this video, the line of force from his shoulders is further down his back now due to him getting his lats involved.

If you look here:

It looks kind of like the same thing is going on, but I would have fallen forwards if my shoulders were too far in front of the bar.

Maybe this is why you're having trouble correcting the issue, because to be any further back would put you off balance.

Any recent videos from the side?
Thanks mate :)

Core is certainly coming along and I can feel it working more now. I'll lower my arse a touch next week, and keep the chest up.

Good to know about the hamstrings, I can stop worrying now ;) Cheers for the critique though! Surprising what a couple of months can do eh? :)
It's seriously impressive, I'll be touting you as an example. Don't take this the wrong way, but to go from form that was as jacked up as yours was to what's in the video is awesome.

Man of Honour
OP
It's actually a perfectly healthy line for his elbows to take, in general. What isn't ideal is that he doesn't keep the bar over his elbows, which manifests with a slightly non-vertical forearm. This will increase stress on the shoulders slightly.

Man of Honour
OP
Toxic, those are pretty decent. Your back is far from an ideal level of straightness in your lumbar region, but there is zero movement going on which is great.

Try and make sure that you set up with a flatter back. Queues like "belly out", "chest up" etc etc can be useful, but ultimately you want a completely neutral spine.

Nice squats Delvis! Despite there not being a lot of movement in your back, you are definitely tending towards flexing your spine. Knowing your issues, I bet this is a case of getting your glutes working properly. Spread the floor as you set up, and screw your feet into the ground (knees out!) for the duration of the rep, ESPECIALLY at the bottom.

Man of Honour
OP
Watch that on my phone and forgot to reply!

They look pretty good, but I'd be interested in seeing what happens at depth. Be careful of your knees collapsing at the bottom, be sure to externally rotate your femurs from the top and spread the floor.

Man of Honour
OP
Can't see much of anything from that angle.

You're losing tension in your back, but I'd be guessing the cause.

Have you read the squatting guide?

Man of Honour
OP
So I want to add RDL to my workouts, more specificly after Sqauts.

I watched Marks video, as per the video I take it the weights don't need to hit the ground? I reckon this will help with mobility aswell?

Going to start it adding it into my 5/3/1 as of next Monday.
Yep, they shouldn't touch the floor (people should stand on plates if necessary).

Man of Honour
OP
Actually, on the overhead squats your problem is that your knees don't go forward enough. Your torso wants to be as upright as possible.

Man of Honour
OP
Well yes and no. Parallel gives you more torque through the entire hips-knees-feet system, but your mechanics (limb lengths, hip structure, blahblahblah) can be such that it can't be done.

It also comes down the principal of diminishing returns; while more parallel might mean more torque always, mostly parallel and sitting on your capsule/tightness is still a powerful position...

Man of Honour
OP
Hamstring mobility: look at the stuff I posted for the squatting guide. Doesn't sound like you're too tight though, you just don't know how to hip hinge.

I'd be interested to see your next deadlift session now you've been given feedback and have realised some stuff. I won't overcomplicate by giving you more stuff to think about at this stage.

However, your rows need a lot of work too.

Your shoulder mechanics are....... "not ideal". Notice how they rotate forwards out of their sockets as you get to the top of the rep? This is as bad as doing similar during pressing movements, in terms of long term progression and mechanics.

Watch the cable row videos in the OP, I think there is one that covers all of the common faults. But basically, you need to retract and depress your scapula as you row up (scaps back and down).

Man of Honour
OP
You can definitely hip hinge more than that before you bend your knees. You're barely hitting 45 degrees, and I'm sure you're capable of nearer 90. It's not tightness behind your knees that you're looking for, it's tightness in your high hamstring that you sit back on with a slight knee bend.

Also, watch the video on head positioning in the OP.

Much better, but still some way to go.

Man of Honour
OP
So my knees should be slightly bent when hip hinging?

There were a couple of conflicting things here, so went with straight legs?

Would certainly explain the mobility issue xD

I'll take a look at head stuff.

Beyond that, what are the major things to improve upon, and, arguably more importantly, would it be worth sticking to the kind of 50-60kg range whilst I fix form first?

Edit: A big thing about head positioning, is it tends to be up to have a look at the mirror so I can see my back xD

kd
A knee bend isn't mandatory, but it allows your hamstring to be more active and can allow for a better feel. Your knee shouldn't move forward more than a fraction though.

60-ish kg is enough for now while you're learning, but don't be afraid to practice every session because the stress isn't going to be very high.

You need to learn to consistently generate tension through your torso. It's there on some reps but not others, and your head/neck wandering around does you no favours.

Man of Honour
OP
I think you just need to practice and feel your way through it now. It seems like you've got the right attitude to learn how fairly quickly. Keep posting vids :)

Man of Honour
OP

Been going through my head all day, is this really as cringe tastic as I am thinking it out to be, or is it just a case of being mindful to stop it?

Working on my core strength quite a bit at the moment and I am going to be throwing in some goblets with pulse as well to help even more.
Yes, there is too much movement in your lumbar.

It won't kill you, but it isn't optimal.

Back
Top Bottom