***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Caporegime
It potentially IS an issue.

The correct way of viewing this situation is that LiE is strong enough and careful enough with his back for it to be ok. For some other people, not setting up with stricter spinal priority will be the difference between a healthy back and not being able to lift again, especially if those people don't have a training partner that will be strict with their form.

While saying, "long as you don't lift like that", is technically true, a lot of people don't have the body awareness to be able to make that judgement accurately.

But yes, thanks LiE that's exactly what I'm looking for :)

Fair enough, thank you for clearing that up :)

While we're on the subject then, would you mind looking at this vid and let me know if that is an okay way of setting up? :)

If you'd rather I emailed you, then let me know

Man of Honour
OP
That's fine, but I think you could have more tension in your core. That's always going to be harder on higher rep sets though.

Caporegime
That's fine, but I think you could have more tension in your core. That's always going to be harder on higher rep sets though.

Cool thanks :)

That was back in February, not deadlifted since then, but I'm aware of a few things I need to do once I get back on them (hopefully anyway :() Along with more Core work etc

Thanks again

Soldato

The correct way of viewing this situation is that LiE is strong enough and careful enough with his back for it to be ok. For some other people, not setting up with stricter spinal priority will be the difference between a healthy back and not being able to lift again, especially if those people don't have a training partner that will be strict with their form.

While saying, "long as you don't lift like that", is technically true, a lot of people don't have the body awareness to be able to make that judgement accurately.

Sounds familiar :D. I've been trying to use Kstars method of loading for most things, just to get it hardcoded in my mind on how to set up properly. A bit like I had to do with Squats in order to get correct form on that too.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
You have to imagine the bar is stuck to the floor and you are pushing the floor away with you feet.

Imagine if the bar really was stuck to the floor and you had to move the floor away, the hips coming up or the back pulling on the bar won't move the floor away ;)

Man of Honour

Good post.

I know some ex strength trainers/coaches that have always commented that they can see my body forcing good form on lifts - i.e. struggling against the body's instinct to arch/bend the back. It's a natural instinct to how I lift - however a lot of people don't have that awareness of their body losing form - it just comes from experience and training.

Caporegime
You have to imagine the bar is stuck to the floor and you are pushing the floor away with you feet.

Imagine if the bar really was stuck to the floor and you had to move the floor away, the hips coming up or the back pulling on the bar won't move the floor away ;)

As LiE has said really, push away with your feet while not lifting your hips....Almost think as if your hips are NOT to move unless your hands start raising off the floor :p While keeping form elsewhere (back etc)

It's a hard one to describe sometimes.

Soldato
As LiE has said really, push away with your feet while not lifting your hips....Almost think as if your hips are NOT to move unless your hands start raising off the floor :p While keeping form elsewhere (back etc)

It's a hard one to describe sometimes.

I know, that's what I've been trying to get in to my head while I lift. Seems to be going well, so gonna try with slightly heavier weights.

Soldato
Ok, I 'attempted' another set of deadlifts this morning and here are the results:

Original from Mobility thread - 20th Apr - 140kg

Today - 100kg

Today - 120kg

Nowhere near perfect, but I just started doing them after coming back off holiday, so haven't had much time to perfect form yet :) (head and core still).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Aye looks a lot better :)

Things to note, make sure your shoulders are back (you'll know if they aren't or not) and try not to let the bar roll around before the lift - on the 100KG attempt you roll it back towards your legs then lift instantly...Try and keep it static :)

I'm guessing theres no issues in doing that, as people have their different setups afterall so hopefully someone more experienced can correct me.

Massive improvement though buddy! Keep at it

Back
Top Bottom