***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Associate
Looking so much better there Deception, just one point really, you need to make sure you are driving your thighs into the bar at the top of each rep. I don't know if this will help you but it helped a friend of mine to tell him to tense his glutes and his quads as hard as he could.

try not to let the bar roll around before the lift - on the 100KG attempt you roll it back towards your legs then lift instantly

That's what I do :). It's not the end of the world as long as you don't compensate position to move the bar, and that way you don't have to fanny around trying to work out how far away your shins are before you set up, you just get them on the bar when you are down there :). I'll say it again though this is only acceptable as long as there is no change in form because of it.

Caporegime
Looking so much better there Deception, just one point really, you need to make sure you are driving your thighs into the bar at the top of each rep. I don't know if this will help you but it helped a friend of mine to tell him to tense his glutes and his quads as hard as he could.

That's what I do :). It's not the end of the world as long as you don't compensate position to move the bar, and that way you don't have to fanny around trying to work out how far away your shins are before you set up, you just get them on the bar when you are down there :). I'll say it again though this is only acceptable as long as there is no change in form because of it.

Hump that bar! :D

Figured it wasn't a major issue. I just prefer the less faffing around before you lift approach :p Then in some comps you see people walk up and throw it up in the air in less than 2 seconds including setup time :p

Soldato
I'm a bar roller too, easiest way to bring the bar to your shins imo!

Deception, you spend too much time on the negative, I'd personally just slam that bar in to the ground. But then again, training in your own home I can appreciate if you'd rather not!

Soldato
I'm a bar roller too, easiest way to bring the bar to your shins imo!

Deception, you spend too much time on the negative, I'd personally just slam that bar in to the ground. But then again, training in your own home I can appreciate if you'd rather not!

Yea, my own home and 2nd floor.. I'd probably end up on the ground floor if I did that :D

Soldato

Thanks Dom :) I will give that a go next time. When rolling the bar back, it just seems to help my form better and stop my hips rising instantly than what I did previously.

Soldato
I give advice on what I believe to be true.

If it is wrong or incorrect, I would rather someone points it out so I know for the future.

But there is potential for any incorrect advice to be taken on board before someone else corrects it. This is bad, especially if it leads to an injury or something. :\

It's not as if there is a lack of people on here with the expertise.

Caporegime
But there is potential for any incorrect advice to be taken on board before someone else corrects it. This is bad, especially if it leads to an injury or something. :\

Edited in: It's not as if there is a lack of people on here with the expertise.

I'm guessing theres no issues in doing that, as people have their different setups afterall so hopefully someone more experienced can correct me

Chin-up mate

You can say that for anything. People on here used to advocate upright rows once upon a time....Now look, everyone avoids them like the plague ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's like a learner driver giving advice to others when there are advanced drivers around.

Perhaps you just need to reword the way you say things? I don't know how you can be so relaxed about potentially giving out bad advice.

Caporegime
It's like a learner driver giving advice to others when there are advanced drivers around.

Perhaps you just need to reword the way you say things? I don't know how you can be so relaxed about potentially giving out bad advice.

I said keep your shoulders back? How is that back advice?

The rolling of the bar is a personal way to setup, I even said that.

Soldato
Deadlift form progress

Start of feb 115kg

Today

The head issue was a lack of thinking, still to focused on getting everything else right.

Probably a better place to post this now we have the awesome thread of form :)

key areas i am looking to improve: the negative, keeping one movement ie not moving my butt before my hips etc.
Arears i know i need to improve on but prioitising lower at the minute: Head position, Locking Shoulders back.

Thoughts and comments please :)

Soldato
I said keep your shoulders back? How is that back advice?

The rolling of the bar is a personal way to setup, I even said that.

I meant in general, not specifically to this instance (I'm not the first to mention it either).

Anyway, I'll leave it at that.

Caporegime
Your whole back positioning is miles better :) It's a lot tighter than in the first vid mate and it's not arching as much either.

The negative has got better (it's something I need to work on when I get back on deads) as you're not bringing it down over your knees so much

Man of Honour
OP
Big improvements from everyone!

I think what you both need most now is practice. You both need a little more glute activation and drive, a little more stiffness in your torso, and tension on the bar before the reps.

Soldato
Big improvements from everyone!

I think what you both need most now is practice. You both need a little more glute activation and drive, a little more stiffness in your torso, and tension on the bar before the reps.

Thanks Ice. Always good to know I'm heading in the right direction.
Well done too Syla, looks like we just need to hump the bars! :p

Last edited:
Associate
Not a bad shout, but you should be able to get it without, so it doesn't matter all that much as I don't think Deception is going to failure/maximal loading.

Man of Honour
OP
Speed reps is something you should save for a little further down the road. Speeding things up too much will make it harder to make corrections.

Back
Top Bottom