***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Soldato
Did some more videos.

I went yesterday, when I got there dead...Decided to do a form vid everyone turned up! :D.

Squats

1st set

5th set

Barbell row:
Usually I struggle getting down being so lanky. But I took your advice and rested the barbell on weights and took the shoes off. Think iv got the form better than when I first started out.

Soldato
Probably a bit of a random question but I've kinda cooled down on my running a bit lately and have started doing a bit of weight with a friend at a gym following what he does, problem being I have the overwhelming urge/need to vomit once I've left. I'm not particularly stuffing my face beforehand either usually a nice thick porridge and some fruit an hour or so before I go. I keep up with fluids drinking plenty of water but this has been going on for a couple of weeks now.

I'd like to drink a protein shake a little after the gym but I don't think I'd keep it down

Man of Honour
If you need to vomit, this is a sign you're training properly. ;)

Assuming there are no underlying neurological, metabolic or auto-immnue conditions, you may also want to look at how you're training, because whilst really hard training may result in naausea, it shouldn't generally be a consistent thing.

Crossfit is reasonably notorious for bizarre training workouts that can result in this, after all...

And why do you think you needs a protein shake? Is there a particular reason? Or somebody told you it would make you huge?

Man of Honour
OP
Did some more videos.

I went yesterday, when I got there dead...Decided to do a form vid everyone turned up! :D.

Squats

1st set

5th set

Barbell row:
Usually I struggle getting down being so lanky. But I took your advice and rested the barbell on weights and took the shoes off. Think iv got the form better than when I first started out.
Everything looks ok, although I'd need to see the squats from the back to make final judgement.

Make sure you keep your chest "up" on the BORs, you need a bit more thoracic extension. Keep your head in line with your spine too.

Soldato
Squaaaaaatz:

I've adopted a slightly narrower stance with more knees out but am finding that I struggle with hip hinge/drive. I can feel it's not my strongest set up but is much more comfortable when in the hole and eradicates any tucking.

The last few times it feels like the tendons/muscles running through my rec fem are getting pinched by the head of my femur against my pelvis. My hip has been quite tight so have used compresses and MWOD hip stretching (rear foot raise, glute tenses, hip pushed forward with a slight lean).

I'm pretty certain my stance is too narrow and that it's occurred naturally to allow more knees out. I feel a lot more glute recruitment but without strong hip drive won't be getting out the hole at heavier weights. It could just be a case of adjusting to the new style or a minor error in the mechanics.

Pls respond.

Man of Honour
Squaaaaaatz:

I've adopted a slightly narrower stance with more knees out but am finding that I struggle with hip hinge/drive. I can feel it's not my strongest set up but is much more comfortable when in the hole and eradicates any tucking.

The last few times it feels like the tendons/muscles running through my rec fem are getting pinched by the head of my femur against my pelvis. My hip has been quite tight so have used compresses and MWOD hip stretching (rear foot raise, glute tenses, hip pushed forward with a slight lean).

I'm pretty certain my stance is too narrow and that it's occurred naturally to allow more knees out. I feel a lot more glute recruitment but without strong hip drive won't be getting out the hole at heavier weights. It could just be a case of adjusting to the new style or a minor error in the mechanics.

Pls respond.

Had a similar problem once upon a time... Initial treatment from the physio involved elbows and screaming. Long term work required couch stretch with heavy bands and really extended hip joint.

It is an horrific tight spot to get, both in terms of pain, as well as getting rid.

Assuming it's similar, of course. ;) :D

I use a very narrow stance on my back and front squatting and feel it's a lot more comfortable and powerful once used to it. The cues change (push heels back, levering against the shoulders and bar to get out the hole, for example), but it works!

Last edited:
Caporegime
deadlift width squat stance. good / bad?
seeing a few people with meaty deads and squats doing these (specifically mentioning that feet width is same) and getting benefits.
Normally my feet are outside shoulder width for squats and about shoulder width for deads.

Soldato
Had a similar problem once upon a time... Initial treatment from the physio involved elbows and screaming. Long term work required couch stretch with heavy bands and really extended hip joint.

It is an horrific tight spot to get, both in terms of pain, as well as getting rid.

Assuming it's similar, of course. ;) :D

I use a very narrow stance on my back and front squatting and feel it's a lot more comfortable and powerful once used to it. The cues change (push heels back, levering against the shoulders and bar to get out the hole, for example), but it works!

Ta, I think getting the ordering right will help.

Tendon through the hip feels a bit inflamed. IT band was pretty tight yesterday as was the top of the quad through the rec fem. Bit more rollering and pummeling tonight I think, dat der golf ball will get involved again.

Edit: After googling it could be hip tendonitis, something about medial glute and the IT band. Possibly due for not enough posterior chain engagement which would explain why hinging seems difficult and also thinking about how the lift felt I'd agree. Or it could be that in gunning for knees out they're also coming forward and pulling on my flexors. Will do some research tonight. And box/bench squat as necessary until it heals/if it helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom