***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

deadlift width squat stance. good / bad?
seeing a few people with meaty deads and squats doing these (specifically mentioning that feet width is same) and getting benefits.
Normally my feet are outside shoulder width for squats and about shoulder width for deads.
I think I know who you're referring to, and I don't think they got their big squatting and deadlift numbers with deadlift stance squats (even if they think they helped).

I'm not going to rule them out without trialling them on myself or other people, but I doubt they offer much useful training effect.

I think I know who you're referring to, and I don't think they got their big squatting and deadlift numbers with deadlift stance squats (even if they think they helped).

I'm not going to rule them out without trialling them on myself or other people, but I doubt they offer much useful training effect.

Cool, I did wonder. Don't think my gut would allow me to go too deep with my legs so close anyway lol

Another form check if possible dudes.

Squats.

Deadlifts. - Starting to feel abit better getting low with these. Usually have it sat on plates to get that bit higher for me. Ill be on the 25kg plates next which are the right size.

Thanks.

Squat - stance too narrow, feet turned out too much. Fix those first and try to get a video from the side too.

Deadlift - setting up with a rounded back is making it harder for you to get a flat back. The weight looked very easy so I'd expect to see some bar humping going on. Really drive those glutes.

Thanks Lie. Although i never noticed my feet being out too much. Will try to bring them toes in abit. How much by then? I read about 10-15degree's? Yeah the weight was light just not wanting to break myself doing the deadlifts wrong. Will work on my thrusting actiOn.

Cheers dude.

I'm going to go out on a non-regular limb and suggest that toes out a tiny bit more than "five to one o'clock" is not going to kill you or your knees, provided you can keep them in the correct alignment (knees outside your big toe).

Most people can't do this easily (or properly), which is one of the reasons it's not advised.

A lot of Olympic lifters, for instance, will squat with quite a narrow stance with toes relatively far out (and knees, too) compared to powerlifters, etc.

Why? No idea. Practically, as somebody who pretends to snatch and clean, it allows the lifter to get a lot deeper into the squat and keep a good core alignment (and upright-ness) than otherwise. Doing this with a wide, parallel stance is perfectly possible, but none of the top Olympic lifters do it (tell a lie - there are a couple of Chinese dudes who go ultra wide and almost parallel in the catch, but pffft.). :)

However, you also have to bear in mind that these lifters know what they're doing... ;) :D

I'm going to go out on a non-regular limb and suggest that toes out a tiny bit more than "five to one o'clock" is not going to kill you or your knees, provided you can keep them in the correct alignment (knees outside your big toe).

Most people can't do this easily (or properly), which is one of the reasons it's not advised.

A lot of Olympic lifters, for instance, will squat with quite a narrow stance with toes relatively far out (and knees, too) compared to powerlifters, etc.

Why? No idea. Practically, as somebody who pretends to snatch and clean, it allows the lifter to get a lot deeper into the squat and keep a good core alignment (and upright-ness) than otherwise. Doing this with a wide, parallel stance is perfectly possible, but none of the top Olympic lifters do it (tell a lie - there are a couple of Chinese dudes who go ultra wide and almost parallel in the catch, but pffft.). :)

However, you also have to bear in mind that these lifters know what they're doing... ;) :D
Really, it's kind of because they have the benefit of good coaching. As a cookie cutter rule, feet as parallel as possible is much (MUCH) better than specifying more turn out.

Ultimately, it should be possible to hit the positions with parallel feet, but achieving the mobility required might be impractical for some.

Still having issues with my squats...

I seem to be getting a strong stretching pain in my groin when im trying to push my knees out.

Could this be my stance being too wide, any closer and my depth goes to ****!

Squaaaaaatz:

I've adopted a slightly narrower stance with more knees out but am finding that I struggle with hip hinge/drive. I can feel it's not my strongest set up but is much more comfortable when in the hole and eradicates any tucking.

The last few times it feels like the tendons/muscles running through my rec fem are getting pinched by the head of my femur against my pelvis. My hip has been quite tight so have used compresses and MWOD hip stretching (rear foot raise, glute tenses, hip pushed forward with a slight lean).

I'm pretty certain my stance is too narrow and that it's occurred naturally to allow more knees out. I feel a lot more glute recruitment but without strong hip drive won't be getting out the hole at heavier weights. It could just be a case of adjusting to the new style or a minor error in the mechanics.

Pls respond.

Anterior Femoral Glide Syndrome

This sl00t hits the nail on the head.

http://peakbodywork.com/blog/hip-crease-pinch-at-the-bottom-of-your-squat.html

Getting in to that position stretches my hamstring insertion at the back of the knee to buggery! I don't have a band to help with but despite that it's helped almost instantly. Squatting bodyweight with hands out pain free, as soon as I simulated a racked barbell (and leaned slightly further forward, as you do) - bam, pain.

I've been using cold compresses periodically, been jabbing my bodybackbuddy in all sorts of places and using static & dynamic stretches to not much avail.

In case any other bro's get pinching in their hips while squatting.

Back to knees out :cool:

Brb, gonna sleep in that down dog hamstring stretch.

Edit: I don't think applies to Maxeh, sounds like you need to stretch your abductors & general groin. Happy to show you some at the meet. /nohomo.

This weeks 95kg set, set 2 of 3.

(Starts at 40s)

I appreciate I am getting closer to my max, however should I be worried about my ankles? I know my knees need to be out MORE as usual (:p) however I'm wandering if the shoes aren't helping matters.

tl;dr:
Ditch shoes or invest in something decent?

To my untrained eye, I would suggest getting your knees out would solve part of the problem.

Reason being that I don't think your shoes are hindering your ankle movement or changing its dynamics.

Practically, knees out (as always), but it also may involve reducing the forward travel of your shins, too, which - from my basic understanding of low bar-ing - is not what you're after.

Back
Top Bottom