***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I've considered a kneeling chair a few times, I feel they would be much better than a normal chair.

For now though I prefer to straddle a chair and not use the back rest.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've considered a kneeling chair a few times, I feel they would be much better than a normal chair.

My parents tried this with their business when those chairs became fashionable around 20 years ago.

For some people, they lasted a week. For a small minority in the office, they stuck with them for years.

At the end of the day, you can use all the mobility aids that you want for daily life or whatever. But when you step under that bar, if you don't have to technique down, it's all irrelevant.

My youngest, who is coming up to three, will squat all day long without really batting an eyelid. My daughter, who is coming up to five, doesn't really squat any more (I got her to do an overhead squat with a ShakeWeight - that's another story - and her knees came straight in) and sits instead.

So right from the age of 4/5, humans (from my experience) stop squatting.

Does this mean you need to sit on a block of wood? No. Why not? Because all the block of wood is doing is forcing you into a good posture. Do you need a block of wood to do this? No.

Associate
What's everyones thoughts on resistance bands? anyone use them if so what for?

I have seen quite a few power racks with pegs for resistance bands but never really hear of people using them.

I was thinking about using one to hang from my rack and use it to do tricep pushdowns but not sure if it will work well?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Stretching and mobility mainly, but they can be used for specific strength training goals i.e. working on sticking points. Band face pulls and pull a parts are quite nice.

Associate
What do you think about using them as alternatives to cables? Like tricep pull downs and cable cross over?

I was thinking they could work but would probably our grow them very quick?

Soldato
I'm really just trying to eliminate dysfunctions. The block of wood is just to be at desk level, it doesn't help in squatting. I don't see it as a cultural decline either but a step back to our ancestors good habbits. I'm just not sure how long one can squat for comfortably/safely. I still need to practice it to get the mobility. Sure I can do mobility exercises but the best way to get in a position is to try and be in that position a lot, being in a deep squat stretches everything you need naturally. I don't think doing squats three times a week is enough to be able to sit in the squat position for a long time.

Might have to build a platform on my desk for monitor/keyboard and mouse for standing up and squat in my chair like this.

This
ka78.jpg

VS This
mkv6.jpg

If she was lower down and closer to the keyboard I don't think the best chair is the world could provide a better posture.

Soldato
Stting is terrible for you, but between getting a decent chair (I have a Steelcase Leap v2 at home I got from an office-reclaimed furniture company), sitting in it properly, and getting up to move around a bit every hour or two, it's not really an issue.

Soldato
That second picture is odd, i've never sat like that, it just doesn't look normal.

Nate, just sit properly in your chair, just google chair posture if you're not sure and don't lean forward or slouch.

Soldato
I paid a lot of money for a decent chair but I don't think it's helped at all, if I didn't use to skateboard I think my mobility issues would be even worse than what they are.

I know the monitor isn't at the correct eye level, that's why I said if she was lower down. Even if you're not slouching you're still sat in that position that's going to cause tightness all over your glutes, quads, lowerback, hamstrings and hips.

Man of Honour
I paid a lot of money for a decent chair but I don't think it's helped at all, if I didn't use to skateboard I think my mobility issues would be even worse than what they are.

I know the monitor isn't at the correct eye level, that's why I said if she was lower down. Even if you're not slouching you're still sat in that position that's going to cause tightness all over your glutes, quads, lowerback, hamstrings and hips.

Watching the telly causes the same problems, as does running, and any non-biomechanically optimal movement.

The key thing is what you do about it. You can make your life generally miserable, or you can do the following...

Sit up straight and get up every 20-30mins. This will go a long way to helping.

Why not just sit in a squat though? Seems more fun and healthier, I love the radical change. Anyone tried it yet? I'm not able to do it yet, just proves I can't squat.

You can squat, sure, but it's probably easier just to do a bit of mobility every day as part of your workout, or in support of it.

As I said before, Nate: think about what you're reading. :)

Soldato
Well I'm gonna try squatting as it's basically a human chair. I'll do mobility too of course. I'll have to find out how long it's comfortable to squat for, an hour would be enough to get work done then I can get up and move about.

Just try it at home Joe, corporate conformity sucks.

Back
Top Bottom