***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
OP
I think mrthingy has it right.

It's probably worth dropping the weight for a few weeks and really exaggerating a flat back, even if it takes a couple of seconds to reset between reps.

Man of Honour
OP
What other adductor stretches would you recommend? The MWOD ones just about all require a resistance band, which I don't have (but will order soon!). I've posted before about the abductor/adductor machine, is that useful at all?
I've answered both of these questions quite recently :D

Man of Honour
OP
KNEES OUT

Time to stop ****ing about with the adductor stretching as well. Search the mwod website, there are loads you can do without bands - even the ones with bands can mostly be done without bands.

STOP ARCHING YOUR BACK. You will snap it. NEUTRAL spine, braced core.

Also

and

Yours, with bluntness and love,

icecold
xxx

Man of Honour
OP
Some people are just tight, doing less mobility in this situation is definitely not the answer!

What's causing that tightness can be very varied, but whatever is wrong learning how to move your joints in certain ways and be in certain positions is vital. This is just the reality for people who haven't done a lot of exercise (not exclusively or always...).

Do the super couch with slightly less knee flexion, so try having your rear foot on a step or something.

If you fall backwards when you do squat to stands then you need to look at your ankles. You can do a *******ised version of the movement while holding on to something in front of you. The same applies to russian baby makers.

Man of Honour
OP
You will get there mate :)

I don't know if I made this point obviously enough in my last post:

You need to be practising good movement as much as you can. This means all day, and whenever you think of it. Standing somewhere? Mobilise your ankles. Going to the toilet? Do some lateral lunges. Anywhere at all? Practise hip hinging.

Also, you have not pulled your hamstring ;)

Delvis, yes. Pretty much everything will help.

In fact, starting at the beginning of the mwod videos and working forwards isn't a bad idea.

Man of Honour
OP
Still too arched.

Not that this level of explanation helps, but you're using your psoas in lieu of core stability.

Do the paleo chair again, and rock around between both feet while pushing your knees out.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah if you had better ankle mobility then your goblets would be nice.

Consider pausing at the bottom of your goblets and trying to get your knees as far out and forwards as you can.

Closer stance you're limited by ankles, wider stance you're limited by adductors. Fix both.

Man of Honour
OP
Yes, kind of. It's because your foot and ankle are weak/inflexible, so some bits probably are slightly out of place or pulling off axis.

Man of Honour
OP
Improved, apart from what Delvis posted about (strong post btw!).

Also, get your elbows more under the bar while maintaining tightness in your lats.

Man of Honour
OP
LiE you were actually right about the hip hinge.

Mark, there is a video under deadlifts in the OP that is relevant to you.

You REALLY need to learn how to generate spinal stiffness through core bracing, your back is flopping around like a ****.

What? I said fish?

Bad joke PB.

Man of Honour
OP
No, not at all. But this really isn't simple stuff.

Spread the floor with your feet, externally rotate your femurs (upper legs, i.e. point your knees out), prioritise spine neutrality and stiffness, stick arse back.

Initially her spine was over extended, which provides limited stability in a broken way. Later, her spine was straight because her hips were organised and she was generating stiffness with her core.

Man of Honour
OP
Ice, what do you think about this article?
http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/teaching-the-hip-hinge/

At first I thought sure, squatting isn't a a hip hinge movement per se, but thinking about it, it pretty much is in so many ways. The videos and exercises they list to teach hip hinge don't have anything similar to a squat but it does translate over to how to keep a neutral spine and how to move the hips properly during a squat. Interesting stuff.
Meh, yes and no.

It isn't the most exaggerated form of hip hinging, but you are still very literally hinging at the hip.

For me, the definition of a hip hinge involves spine and hip (and all of the musculature and tissue therein) mechanics. This is where it's a useful coaching tool. If you can't maintain a stiff spine when you undergo flexion at the hips in a deadlift/RDL/whatever, you're probably going to have problems maintaining a stiff spine when you squat.

EDIT: p.s. I've only skimmed that article, but I've been using some of those teaching tools. Pretty cool :)

Man of Honour
OP
So if I was to break it down very simplistically, when keeping tension in the squat I should:

• Take a deep breath
  • Brace core by tensing abs
  • Turn knees further our which in turn will keep legs tight?
Also what do you mean by agressive APT?

*Hadn't read posts after delvis's so I'll edit it after reading
Bracing your core by tensing your abs is so wrong that it's almost funny :p

Core:
anterior core (abz)
glutes
lats
internal/external obliques
transverse abs
pelvic floor
lower back bits

APT (anterior pelvic tilt) is part of her spinal extension pattern. You aren't doing this, but you do not have any core stiffness.

Man of Honour
OP
Well to keep the core tight during this, is taking a deep breath sufficient? Pulling the elbows back will also keep the shoulders tight and by turning the knees out and that should be it?
How do you suppose that taking a breath will tighten your lats and pelvic floor, to name two obvious ones...?

Man of Honour
OP
Have a question, medication I'm now on. Gonna make me fat.

Is it ok to stick a bout of cardio in after doing weights or will it **** up the muscles recovery/growth?

Ta
Nothing wrong with a bit of cardio, but I'd look at tweaking your diet to allow you to burn a good amount of fat.

This is the first time I've said this on here, but it might be worth looking at some form of CBL.
Form on these three please?

Primarily for the 110 Squat.

<3
90 - bad, you're tipping your centre of mass forward.

100 - better

110 - pretty good! Little bit high but this is still a relatively new style so ill let you off. Couple of things to tweak, we need your hips to consistently hit the same position at the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom