***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Associate
I asked some people to squat today and none of them could squat deep on their heels, even their kids at age seven, it's crazy.

Lol... How did you throw that one into the conversation?!

It's not that hard is it, sitting in a squat position, or am I doing it wrong?
I can't actually do a loaded squat to save my life though!

Soldato
lol my friend was talking about how nobody squats at gym so I asked him how his form is coming along and I said how long can you squat for. His feet was causing a problem to squat long, he was swearing at his feet...

For me it's very hard, I thought kids would be able to do it easier but they just fell backwards. I'm reducing use of chairs for eating at home now and sitting in a meditated position or squatting. I just can't be doing with chairs anymore.

Can't do a loaded squat? One word, icecold.

Caporegime
The pictures youve posted are just silly, there is squatting down and staying in the position, then is squatting down, having your knees wander in and your ankles collapsing, which naturally it pointless and just dangerous with a loaded bar on your back.

Crapping on the other hand I see your point, it actually helps bowel movements ;)

Soldato
I thought kids would be able to do it easier but they just fell backwards.

My 5 year old daughter has absolutely no problem squatting or staying in a squat position at all, with a nice neutral back.

As for the pictures you posted of people squatting above, i can see maybe 1 person that has a neutral spine. They are not in healthy, non-dysfunctional positions. They are in positions that days spent in chairs, and poor/no awareness of posture have created.

Be aware of your posture, dont sit down for hours on end, and do your mobility and stretching and you will go a long way towards fixing things.

Soldato
lol my friend was talking about how nobody squats at gym so I asked him how his form is coming along and I said how long can you squat for. His feet was causing a problem to squat long, he was swearing at his feet...

Here we go again :rolleyes:

I was dreaming of squatting at the PC and owning noobs on counter strike :(

Looking like this by any chance?

FTT7wYm.jpg

Seriously why are you entertaining this guy...

Soldato
The guys in the pictures don't have to have neutral spines, they aren't lifting weight, they are in a relaxed position not a bracing position.

Your talking about doing what they are doing to help fix your squatting dysfunction, yet what they are doing is the complete opposite of what you should be doing with weight on your back..

You want a neutral spine, so why sugguest a position that will only encourage you to hold a bad position?

Soldato
No I want to help eliminate dysfunctions not fix them by squatting. Let's say I can squat and my mobility is good, what's wrong with squatting instead of sitting? Then when it comes to a loaded barbell squat I'll perform them with my chest up and tighten my body as required.

Are you saying if I were to squat in a relaxed state as a way of sitting it would effect my loaded squats?

Soldato
No I want to help eliminate dysfunctions not fix them by squatting. Let's say I can squat and my mobility is good, what's wrong with squatting instead of sitting? Then when it comes to a loaded barbell squat I'll perform them with my chest up and tighten my body as required.

Are you saying if I were to squat in a relaxed state as a way of sitting it would effect my loaded squats?

Well you need to get to this point before even think about squatting instead of sitting then. Got any recent vids to see if your form is improving?

Soldato
Fair enough I thought that might be the case. I'm finding it a bit demotivating squatting at the gym with a loaded barbell when I can't even squat very well without weight on my back. It's easier doing loaded squats and I think that's messing up my dysfunction even further because I should essentially just be doing the same squat but with weight right? But I can't even do a squat properly.

Not got any new videos yet as I'm not actually able to be lifting right now, I'm living rough but might be back at gym within two weeks.

Soldato

You said that you wanted to fix your dysfunctions and then implied that to do that you would use the seated squatting postion......then posted pictures of people squatting instead of sitting that were displaying clearly dysfunctional squat positions.

Can you not see whats wrong with that??

Squatting with a loaded bar and squatting unloaded will feel different, and will be achieveable to different levels when you dont have decent mobility/flexibility. The importance of a neutral spine, chest up and being able to achieve full range of motion for both is equally important.

If you want to fix your dysfunctions do lots of mobility, stretching, and by all means get in to the seated squat position, but do it as was linked in the mobility wod vid, not like the people in the pics you linked with banana backs.

Man of Honour
OP
The guys in the pictures don't have to have neutral spines, they aren't lifting weight, they are in a relaxed position not a bracing position.

Fair enough I thought that might be the case. I'm finding it a bit demotivating squatting at the gym with a loaded barbell when I can't even squat very well without weight on my back. It's easier doing loaded squats and I think that's messing up my dysfunction even further because I should essentially just be doing the same squat but with weight right? But I can't even do a squat properly.

Not got any new videos yet as I'm not actually able to be lifting right now, I'm living rough but might be back at gym within two weeks.
Why are you continuing to second guess what you've been told? You need to look no further than fixing your loaded squat and deadlift (including the associated mobility) and pay attention to your posture 24/7.

Why are you imagining for even a second that you might know better than people on here, or in fact know anything at all about exercise/form/kinesiology?

Man of Honour
Why are you continuing to second guess what you've been told? You need to look no further than fixing your loaded squat and deadlift (including the associated mobility) and pay attention to your posture 24/7.

Why are you imagining for even a second that you might know better than people on here, or in fact know anything at all about exercise/form/kinesiology?

Meat science, dude. You've been duped. ;) :D

Soldato
I've been reading parts of this thread and it's got me wondering whether a lot of my shoulder and pelvis problems are simply caused by a general lack of mobility - probably through spending too much time on the computer and not enough time warming up and cooling down when I train.

I could just google stuff but am wary of choosing the wrong exercises in case I make my problems worse. Even if a lack of mobility isn't the cause it can't do any harm improving it.

So, can anyone suggest a decent idiots guide with drills I can do on my non-gym days to improve core strength and mobility?

Man of Honour
I've been reading parts of this thread and it's got me wondering whether a lot of my shoulder and pelvis problems are simply caused by a general lack of mobility - probably through spending too much time on the computer and not enough time warming up and cooling down when I train.

I could just google stuff but am wary of choosing the wrong exercises in case I make my problems worse. Even if a lack of mobility isn't the cause it can't do any harm improving it.

So, can anyone suggest a decent idiots guide with drills I can do on my non-gym days to improve core strength and mobility?

Wouldn't it be great if somebody created a whole thread about mobility? That would be awesome. :cool:

Soldato

Here you go:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18268152
:D

If it did, it sounds like the author of it would be incredibly handsome.

It's a pity you beat them to it then :p :D

Back
Top Bottom